Upcoming RVG's for 2004

Indestructible!

Still waiting for the following to be released on CD for the first time in their original form as opposed to being issued as part of a Mosaic set)

Blue Mitchell - Bring It On Home

Blue Mitchell - Heads Up

Larry Young - Contrasts

Andrew Hill Andrew!!! - The Music of Andrew Hill

Andrew Hill - Compulsion

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

Kenny Clarke - The Golden Eight

Jutta Hipp - At the Hickory House

Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever

And how about reissuing some of these which haven't been available for years

Stanley Turrentine - Thats's Where It's At

Pete La Roca - Basra

Leo Parker - Let Me Tell You 'Bout It

Leo Parker - Rollin' With Leo

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Amen to that, Bob. Actually, for sometime I've been waiting for them to RVG True Blue. Seems like an obvious choice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I'd like to see all of these get reissued. But at least a few of those listed are very unlikely candidates for the RVG series, just based on likely sales...the Kenny Clarke, for example, I'm sure is a fine session, but more of a Conn candidate for sure, if it gets reissued at all.

And on that topic: I think most will eventually appear in either that series or the RVG. Look, the Conns are including some really obscure stuff - Rouse's BOSSA NOVA BACCHANAL, frankly I was pretty certain that would NEVER be issued in the U.S. but here it is.

On the other hand, I'd bet we'll see many of these as RVGs (TRUE BLUE and THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT seem like eventual shoe-ins).

The point is, what's wrong with being patient? We're seeing some stuff in the planned RVG list that people have been clamoring for now for years, and they seem to work in at least a couple each time that are pretty darn obscure. Given that there is also (IMHO) a pressing need to update the portion of the BN catalog that are good-selling staples (Dex, Green, Rollins, Silver, etc), and the RVG is simultaneously trying to fill that need, I think the number of more obscure titles that have appeared is pretty fair, and again the Conn series is ongoing for those that don't quite make the RVG list. All in good time.

You're right on about the Blakey Cafe Bohemia and Birdland material. Those are fabulous.

Can't say the Birdland Blakey dates sounded any different to my ears. The Rollins Vanguard session on the other hand was significantly better on the RVG version.

I had hoped for a Monk/ Powell RVG transformation but was disappointed that the RVG Birdland discs really didn't sound much better.

Sure, there's no Don Cherry/Sam Rivers/Larry Young, but I think it's encouraging that there's the Cecil Taylor date in there - I'd never have seen that one coming. Plus, I would have thought that Unit Structures was the more obvious release, so it's nice to see Conquistador.

Not that I'm not gagging for all the Don Cherry I can get!

On 'Night of the Cookers', I always feel a slightly inadequate listener whenever this is discussed, because I for one really enjoy it!

Sure, I'd like to see all of these get reissued. But at least a few of those listed are very unlikely candidates for the RVG series, just based on likely sales...the Kenny Clarke, for example, I'm sure is a fine session, but more of a Conn candidate for sure, if it gets reissued at all.

And on that topic: I think most will eventually appear in either that series or the RVG. Look, the Conns are including some really obscure stuff - Rouse's BOSSA NOVA BACCHANAL, frankly I was pretty certain that would NEVER be issued in the U.S. but here it is.

On the other hand, I'd bet we'll see many of these as RVGs (TRUE BLUE and THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT seem like eventual shoe-ins).

The point is, what's wrong with being patient? We're seeing some stuff in the planned RVG list that people have been clamoring for now for years, and they seem to work in at least a couple each time that are pretty darn obscure. Given that there is also (IMHO) a pressing need to update the portion of the BN catalog that are good-selling staples (Dex, Green, Rollins, Silver, etc), and the RVG is simultaneously trying to fill that need, I think the number of more obscure titles that have appeared is pretty fair, and again the Conn series is ongoing for those that don't quite make the RVG list. All in good time.

Nothing wrong with being patient, DrJ. I happen to agree with you. It's just that some of us (myself included) get a little carried away by our enthusiasm at times. Actually, I'm pretty amazed to see such a long list of RVG's scheduled for next Summer. In the U.S. they have heretofore released RVG's in 4 or 5-title batches. The series must be doing alright if they're planning to throw EIGHTEEN on the market over a four-month period. The only title that seems really questionable is Night of the Cookers, as it's gotten so much negative word-of-mouth. But I love how they're obviously throwing in the backbone-of-the-catalog staples like Henderson and Dex, with lesser-known titles. Kudos, and keep it up, say I.

The Rollins Vanguard session on the other hand was significantly better on the RVG version.

Either I had a really crappy pressing, or maybe the original CDs of this were even worse than the RVG I heard; the copy of the Village Vanguard RVG I had sounded awfully muddy and muffled to these ears.

You're actually right Big Al, the RVG still ain't exactly a pristine sounding CD, but there is a HUGE improvement compared to what was available before. Enough to make the impact of the music totally different on me. RVG worked some magic.

Edited by DrJ

You're actually right Big Al, the RVG still ain't exactly a pristine sounding CD, but there is a HUGE improvement compared to what was available before. Enough to make the impact of the music totally different on me. RVG worked some magic.

...if only he could have worked that magic on the original recording! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet Honey Bee / Duke Pearson

At The Half Note Cafe Vol. 1& 2 / Donald Byrd (Double)

Rockin' The Boat / Jimmy Smith

****Goin' West / Grant Green

Right Now / Jackie McLean

The Cape Verdean Blues - Horace Silver

Free Form / Donald Byrd

Conquistador / Cecil Taylor

Inner Urge / Joe Henderson

Free For All / Art Blakey

Andrew Hill / Black Fire

In 'N Out / Joe Henderson

Tender Moments / McCoy Tyner

ow - my wallet gonna be flat in 2004 - but I don't care

might have to check out the Dexters

Maybe I missed some info on this, but if Blue Note releases a McCoy Tyner RVG, it looks like there won't be a Tyner Mosaic set? :(

This could be right.

I mean, there's already an RVG of "The Real McCoy", and "Asante" was released as recently as 1998, and "Extensions" is still currently in print. Along with "Tender Moments" (as an RVG - the most likely candidate) - that's a fair percentage of the McCoy BN catalog right there.

I'm not sure why people always make these kinds of connections...right off the top of my head I can think of at least several instances in which BN was issuing single sessions by an artist at the same time Mosaic was putting out (or still had available) boxes that included those sessions. The Andrew Hill (he had BLACK FIRE, POINT OF DEPARTURE, JUDGEMENT!, and SMOKESTACK all available when the Mosaic hit the streets), Donald Byrd (lots of his box stuff was still pretty available - and they put out the RVG of BYRD IN HAND shortly after the Mosaic hit the streets), and Patton Select (GOT A GOOD THING GOIN' and his debut recording are both still around and yet we just got a Select) all fit in that category, just right off the top of my head. So the two occurances - a new RVG and Mosaic box by the same artist - don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I don't look at such reissue programs as competitive. People who have some of an artist's work but end up wanting more will "trade up" to the box. Completists will want the box. Everyone else will stay happy with the stuff they have. Win-win.

Edited by DrJ

• 1 month later...