Happy 80th to Johnny Griffin!

DukeCity

so glad that Mr. Griffin is still with us! wishing him many more years in good health! got to see him at the North Sea Festival last summer. he was wonderful although he talked much too much about his drinking habits! :rolleyes:

Well, yes, it was at a bar that I chatted with John - in the Peel Hotel, Leeds in the late sixties - though what he talked about wasn't drinking, but the joys of playing with NHOP! :)

Johnny Griffin was very gracious to me and my then-girlfriend when she wanted to interview him for a university newspaper after a concert in the spring of 1979. He spent a lot of time answering her questions, which were rather basic as I recall. She was not difficult to look at. At one point she asked him the song title of a blues which he had played that evening. He said, "I Just Want to Touch You Tonight, Baby."

Later that year, on Galaxy Records, the album "NYC Underground" was released, with a similar sounding blues, which bore the title, "Let Me Touch It."

Edited by Hot Ptah

Well, yes, it was at a bar that I chatted with John - in the Peel Hotel, Leeds in the late sixties - though what he talked about wasn't drinking, but the joys of playing with NHOP! :)

Sounds like he could just as easily have started talking about the joys of playing with OPP...

Happy birthday to one of the true forces of nature that this music has channeled into our world. Maximum Love Points to the power of infinity!

Happiest of Birdays Griff! I only saw him once, at the Vanguard in something like 95...? One of my favorite shows ever.

We played the Vanguard 1988-1992. But from 1993 through 1998 we were at the Blue Note. We didn't return to the Village Vanguard until 1999.

Must have been late summer or early fall of '91 then... does that sound possible?

Happiest of Birdays Griff! I only saw him once, at the Vanguard in something like 95...? One of my favorite shows ever.

We played the Vanguard 1988-1992. But from 1993 through 1998 we were at the Blue Note. We didn't return to the Village Vanguard until 1999.

Must have been late summer or early fall of '91 then... does that sound possible?

September 24-29, 1991

For at many years, Johnny would come back to his hometown to play for a week at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago, where he would celebrate his birthday. 4/24 was Joe Segal's birthday (he owns the Jazz Showcase). Joe Henderson also celebrated his birthday on 4/24. One year schedules and money permitted Joe Segal to book both of them. I sure hope the Showcase opens soon.