I Know I'm Wrong, But Ikea Ain't Right

I'll make this quick, 'cause it's not really important enough to waste too much time on. Last Sunday on my way to visit mama, I bought several items at Ikea (picture frames, egg-slicer, etc.), bagged them at the self-checkout, and went on my way. Among my purchases were two inexpensive folding chairs---which I conveniently forget to take with me when I left the checkout (doh!). To make matters worse, I can't find the receipt (double-doh), although I do have proof of the transaction through my credit card company. I called what I thought was the store and got their national call center. The bottom line is that they can't do anything for me unless I have the receipt, even though they have a special place in the store where they keep stuff that dopes like me leave behind. She admitted the chairs could be there, but without the receipt - nada.

I told the representative that I completely understand their position. However, the idea of paying for items that I didn't receive, items that will undoubtedly be sold again to someone else, strikes me as wrong. I told her in a calm and respectful voice that if there was nothing else they would do, I would no longer shop at Ikea.

In my (admittedly warped) mind, a good business doesn't alientate a customer who's spent a few hundred dollars over the past year for $18 dollars of merchandise that probably cost them only a few dollars.

What do you think? Is it too much to expect a company in this day and age to "bite the bullet," take a small loss, and preserve their relationship with a steady customer?

What do you think? Is it too much to expect a company in this day and age to "bite the bullet," take a small loss, and preserve their relationship with a steady customer?

If you paid for the items, they aren't taking a loss. Seems like with your "proof", they could go through their automated (?) system and find your purchase, and confirm the items you purchased, and give them to you.

I'd get credit card company to send me a copy of whatever info they have about the transaction, and go back to see the manager.

I for one am surprised that folding chairs can go through a self-serve register, since they usually rely on a measure of weight to confirm that people aren't stealing things.

I think Aggie has it right though - bring the items that you did take with you plus whatever info you have on the sale and you should be able to show them that the difference = two cheap chairs. It might work.

Ideally a company would do the right thing but in the grand scheme of things for a corporation that size, your withdrawal of business means precisely nothing. So really its up to you to decide whether its worth not shopping there. Personally, I'd be berating myself for not taking the chairs and then also not managing to retain the receipt. When they tell me "without a receipt we can't do anything" I would say "well I was the idiot in the first place". After all, you said its not that important.

If you paid for the items, they aren't taking a loss. Seems like with your "proof", they could go through their automated (?) system and find your purchase, and confirm the items you purchased, and give them to you.

I'd get credit card company to send me a copy of whatever info they have about the transaction, and go back to see the manager.

All I know is what various retailers I've worked for would do. Target would go on the electronic journal on the computer, enter your credit card number in the search function, find the transaction (including time), check the video, say "aha; there he his leaving the chairs", hand you the chairs and apologize for the delay. Home Depot would tell you tough shit. Safeway would apologize profusely for distracting you and causing you to forget the chairs, toss in another chair to make it up to you, and thank you for your business, all before realizing that they don't even sell chairs...

As far as the chairs ending up in the "paid for and left behind" area, it probably didn't happen at selfcheckout If the person watching selfcheckout wasn't alert enough to notice you leaving them behind, they'd have no idea whether or not they were paid for and would just assume someone changed their mind and left them.

Sorry, but I have to side with the store in this case. Yeah, they could probably cross-check a credit card transaction and see that, yes, you did buy the chairs, but their policy (like just about everyone these days) is no returns w/o a receipt. But not only don't you have the receipt, but you don't have the items to "return" either. I know, you don't have the items - that's the point - but from their point of view this could so easily be a scam.

Yes, you're wrong, Jazzshrink, but you're right about Ikea being not right.

You're railing at a system, because major retailers aren't like mom & pop stores. And yes, mom & pop stores serve their customers better - much better. But the large retailers provide cheap goods much better.

No way out.

MG

anywho, this morning i found the receipt. it will be interesting to see how this changes my situation, if at all. you see, if i was pulling a scam (and it's a personal insult to think that i would do it for a measely $18), then i'd buy the chairs, bring them home, then use the receipt claiming "i left them at the store." i'll give them a call now and let you know what happens. btw, i never insisted on a refund, but gladly would have accepted the two chairs as a resolution.

i finally got a hold of ikea and guess what, the fact that i found my receipt meant nothing to them. they say all items left at the register are placed in the purgatory room at the end of the day. i explained that these folding chairs were left leaning against the scanner, and it was very unlikely that an employee would have left them them for several hours. to that they said, "some dishonest customer must have taken them." to which i replied, "so i am out this money because of someone else's theft?"

a special thanks to moose, who mentioned the record of transactions they must have. i politely asked to talk to a supervisor, who contacted one of the store's manager. supposedly they will review the record since i was able to give them thedate, time, register, and transaction number. i will wait patiently. however, i will return the other items i bought ($40+ worth) if they don't offer me a refund or replacement.

now if you will excuse me, i must grab a lance and mount my steed to do battle with the local walmart. once you get a taste for retail conglomerate blood, it's hard to quit. :lol:

I've actually found Ikea customer service to be way above average. I've seen them take back partially-assembled and fucked-up items - with a receipt of course - and they've replaced damaged pieces for me without question. My wife used to work retail back in college (not Ikea!) and some of the stories she tells about the lengths some customers will go to to save a few bucks or skim merchandise are ridiculous - or, conversely, of stores taking back obviously used items that the customers bought but no longer have use for. I obviously don't mean this as any insult to the shrink - I'm sure he's smart enough to rip off the store in much bigger ways if he tried. :lol: