CBBB and Sahib Shihab Motherlode From Rearward

sidewinder

Lots of good things on CD and 180g vinyl just appeared on the Rearward/Schema site in Italy. Wow !

First 2 Boland/Shihab titles available from Rearward direct ('Companionship' and 'Music For The Small Hours' - both very rare titles) and Dusty in the USA also seem to have stocks in of the first 3 (including the 'Seeds' - wonder how they managed that when it's not yet available from Schema? :huh: ).

They've even got a reissue of 'The Golden Eight' coming up too.

Fill yer CBBB boots ! :excited:

I've ordered the two Boland/Shihab titles and also the 'Afrodite'.

CBBB Nirvana

(note - select 'skip intro' for titles to come up)

Edited by sidewinder

Lots of good things on CD and 180g vinyl just appeared on the Rearward/Schema site in Italy. Wow !

First 2 Boland/Shihab titles available from Rearward direct ('Companionship' and 'Music For The Small Hours' - both very rare titles) and Dusty in the USA also seem to have stocks in of the first 3 (including the 'Seeds' - wonder how they managed that when it's not yet available from Schema? :huh: ).

Also, Johnny Griffin's Griff 'n' Bags is available and Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz is forthcoming (though there is a huge amount of duplication between those 2 titles).

Also, Johnny Griffin's Griff 'n' Bags is available and Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz is forthcoming (though there is a huge amount of duplication between those 2 titles).

There is also a lot of duplication on the Shihab title with what was previously issued on CD as "And All Those Cats" on Rearward 102

There is also a lot of duplication on the Shihab title with what was previously issued on CD as "And All Those Cats" on Rearward 102

Hmm - I wonder what is the best way to go. I've already bought And All Those Cats (on LP), so I will be extra cautious before picking up these other releases.

Hmm - I wonder what is the best way to go. I've already bought And All Those Cats (on LP), so I will be extra cautious before picking up these other releases.

It looks like there are several ways to do this, but if you have And All Those Cats and Calypso Blues, you don't need Companionship. Conversely perhaps Calypso Blues and Companionship make All Those Cats redundant (didn't check as carefully). In either case, there does not appear to be much overlap with Music for the Small Hours, so I should go ahead and get that.

I've been on a bit of a CBBB tear of late, so I picked up Small Hours yesterday. I also got the Seeds Shihab release, but not before A-B'ing the titles on All Those Cats with what was shown on Da Bastids website. Just a couple of duplications, unlike Companionship.

There were two CBBB rarities on eBay yesterday that I was watching, All Blues wound up going for $74.99 and Sax No End for $29.00. Hopefully, these will be available at more reasonable prices at some point in the near future.

Up over and out.

It looks like there are several ways to do this, but if you have And All Those Cats and Calypso Blues, you don't need Companionship. Conversely perhaps Calypso Blues and Companionship make All Those Cats redundant (didn't check as carefully). In either case, there does not appear to be much overlap with Music for the Small Hours, so I should go ahead and get that.

Thanks for checking that!

How about the Griffin - how much of it is new? And what about "Seeds", isn't part of that on "All Those Cats" also?

"Swing Waltz Swing" then, would that have been on the "All That Strauss" disc (which I don't have)?

Anyway, this definitely is great news, also on "Golden Eight", "Jazz Is Universal" and "Handle With Care", none of which I have!

Got the 'Griif 'n' Bags' 2LP set in front of me. Looks as if there are 5 tracks from "Lady Heaven Bottom's Waltz" (great title :g )

'Foot Patting'

'Please Send Me Someone To Love'

'Deep Eight'

'The JAMFS Are Coming'

'Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz'

Not sure if that means the full album is on there - but certainly much of it.

Yes, looks like all of the 'Swing Waltz Swing' was on the 'All That Strauss' compilation. Nice to see the original cover though and I'll bet the 180g vinyl will sound great. This apparently came out on LP for sale with the German 'teen' magazine 'twen' to mark their 50th issue. Imagine that sort of thing now - more likely an MP3 by Cheeky Girls or other such crap. ;)

There's some overlap I think with the Shihab 'Seeds' and 'All Those Cats' but don't have 'Seeds' so can't confirm.

Says DG re:Seeds -

a record that's gone onto become the birth of all things modal and club jazz in the current scene!

What do they mean by this?

The acid jazz DJs (e.g. Gilles Peterson) like it and have forked out thousands (well - hundreds at least) to get hold of an original. :)

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...