FYI: My eBay auction ending tomorrow 5/25/08

A C-note on Amazon or a free download in blog-land ; I guess 50 clams is the split-the-difference price for the object-fetishist/golden-eared/"principled" folks :)

Yer gonna wish you hadn't posted that one shortly once the crowd logs on and reads it....

From today's Bulletin Board Daily Bugle --

" High-tech lynching of uppity Organissimite averted as posse can't be raised on long-weekend . "

yep, ya got lucky! :rolleyes:

I'll throw a comment in! Not so much about the merits of purchasing legitimately released music, versus illegal music downloading, but more that it's not cool to jump on Scott's thread for the purpose of effectively suggesting that people shouldn't purchase this cd from an upstanding board member, but should seek to download it for free instead.

This is not the place for those sort of comments.

:tdown

I'll throw a comment in! Not so much about the merits of purchasing legitimately released music, versus illegal music downloading, but more that it's not cool to jump on Scott's thread for the purpose of effectively suggesting that people shouldn't purchase this cd from an upstanding board member, but should seek to download it for free instead.

If the illegality of the download is not the issue for you (and I think it is) , then you need to provide some reason why one should put the interests of "upstanding" member-sellers ahead of "upstanding" member-buyers . My post did not "effectively suggest" that one not buy Scott's CD or that one should download the album , merely that the price seemingly didn't reflect the availability of the third option I noted , coupled with a measure of ridicule for any fully-informed buyers paying that price . Ridicule I might add , which you yourself have engaged in when posting to the "Ebay craziness" thread . Given that your posts in that thread are free of any concern as to whether or not the seller might be an "upstanding" member here , I'd say your post in this thread looks pretty hypocritical .

Chas' post has nothing to do with the value of the CD. How is this auction price in relation to other auction prices for that same title? That' a better gauge of the value of the CD itself. Chas is recommending an alternative to the purchase of this CD, and doesn't really help the seller (or buyers of legitimate music for that matter). It's of no value at all, other than to simply remind people that they can download music for free, instead of buying it.

I think some prices of CDs get out of hand on Ebay, certainly. Prices for everything do though. If I think something's too high, I won't bid on it. But I wouldn't "threadcrap" and effectively recommend that someone *NOT* purchase something that is being advertised here, and steal it instead.

For consistency's sake, Chas should be posting in EVERY For Sale/Auction thread that any prospective buyers should download that music free, instead of buying it.

Edited by Aggie87

i disagree - this forum is not ebay or the amazon marketplace. yes i have bought things here from other members, but that is not why i post here.

i dont think chas was judging you in any way and i think that his comment was legitimate.

tell you what, bm. you post something for sale or auction here, and i'll provide links to sites where people can get it for less or for free. sound fair to you?

i disagree - this forum is not ebay or the amazon marketplace. yes i have bought things here from other members, but that is not why i post here.

i dont think chas was judging you in any way and i think that his comment was legitimate.

Isn't it obvious that Chas must believe my opening price was too high? Otherwise, why would he bother wasting his time/keystrokes...

He most certainly was judging me...

Isn't it obvious that Chas must believe my opening price was too high? Otherwise, why would he bother wasting his time/keystrokes...

Did you buy it from him for $39.99? ;)

tell you what, bm. you post something for sale or auction here, and i'll provide links to sites where people can get it for less or for free. sound fair to you?

For the record , I never have and never will link to a free download here . That said , I certainly don't think it unfair to link to a "legitimate" site offering a lower price than one offered by a seller here , or to offer up one's own CD for a lower price . Erik chose to duck this question , so I hope you'll give it a shot : tell me why I should categorically place the interests of sellers over buyers , and how this is fairer than giving equal weight to their interests ?

Erik -- I really feel that you're being disingenuous in denying that your objection to my post isn't based solely on the illegality of free downloads . If you feel so strongly about it , why not stop the sanctimonious posturing and try and put together a cogent rebuttal to the arguments against the current musical copyright regime that I made in this thread ?!

I was just joking....

Appreciate the effort Al , but my earlier attempt at jocularity with this bunch in here should have demonstrated the futility of it .

I certainly don't think it unfair to link to a "legitimate" site offering a lower price than one offered by a seller here , or to offer up one's own CD for a lower price . Erik chose to duck this question, so I hope you'll give it a shot : tell me why I should categorically place the interests of sellers over buyers , and how this is fairer than giving equal weight to their interests ?

Oh well, maybe because you should treat people how you'd like to be treated yourself?

Do you do this sort of thing when you're out with friends? I'd like to see you walk into a store, walk up to a customer waiting in line to buy a few high-priced collectibles and say in a loud voice, "Hey, why don't you go across the street to that store over there? They have those CDs for a lot less". Some stores might not let you out of there without a limp.

Your attitude shows you appear to be clueless as to how to act among peers.

...tell me why I should categorically place the interests of sellers over buyers, and how this is fairer than giving equal weight to their interests?...

exactly what do you see as your role here on the board? is it your responsibility to protect the rest of us from making a bad decision by paying [what you think is] too much for an item, thereby justifying your "outing" the creator of this thread? personally, i don't care about the issue of downloading as it pertains to the situation we have here. and as far as I know, there's no rule to prevent you from competing with another seller by offering the same item on your own thread. what i object to is your decision to derail another member's thread, and even more so, your assertion that you have the right to do so in the interest of people like me who buy cds from other board members. i don't know of anyone here who holds you responsible for protecting the interests of us buyers, and i for one would appreciate your refraining from doing what you did again.

Edited by jazzshrink

I was just joking....

Appreciate the effort Al , but my earlier attempt at jocularity with this bunch in here should have demonstrated the futility of it .

Thanks, but I've been on this board a helluva long time, and you won't find a more jocular bunch.

Please, let us know if/when you have something to sell. I hope you won't take any of us to task for dropping in on your thread and informing everyone that they can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

Please, let us know if/when you have something to sell. I hope you won't take any of us to task for dropping in on your thread and informing everyone that they can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

I just wish he'd drop in when Chuck offers something from his back catalog and tells us where to find it in blog land.

I just wish he'd drop in when Chuck offers something from his back catalog and tells us where to find it in blog land.

:lol::D

Poor Agg! He's the sweetest guy you'd ever know in person but he always gets embroiled in some philosophical tit for tats! :ph34r::lol:

Best answer for all is to get to know one another on live chat. It builds an appreciation and even tolerance for other members.

Chuck's not interested. He has "been there, done that!" ;)

Edited by connoisseur series500