Harold Land

bertrand

Somehow, I did not know about this before:

Harold Land Septet

Froegel Brigham (tp) Russell B. Campbell (tb) William S. Doty (as) Harold Land (ts) Fred Jackson (p) Dave Dyson (b) Leon Petties (d)

Los Angeles, CA, April 25, 1949

SLA524 Outlandish Savoy SJL 2215

SLA525 Swingin' On Savoy -

SLA526 San Diego Bounce Regent 1020; Savoy SJL 2215

SLA527 I'll Remember April -

* Various Artists - Black California (Savoy SJL 2215)

* Harold Land - Dan Diego Bounce c/w I'll Remember April (Regent 1020)

The compilation Savoy On Central Avenue does not seem to have 'I'll Remember April', which is annoying. Is there any compilation that has all four tracks?

Various other compilations on iTunes allow you to get 'San Diego Bounce' and 'April', but not the other two tracks. There is also a 'Swingin' on Savoy' recorded by Dexter Gordon.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Bertrand:

The online version of Tom Lord's discography does include "I'll Remember April" as part of Savoy SJL2215:

Harold Land All Stars : Froebel Brigham (tp) Russell B. Campbell (tb) William Doty (as) Harold Land (ts) Fred Jackson (p) David Dyson (b) Leon Petties (d)

Los Angeles, April 25, 1949

SLA524 Outlandish Savoy SJL2215

SLA525 Swingin' on Savoy -

SLA526 San Diego bounce - , Regent 1020

SLA527 I'll remember April - , Regent 1020

But take a look at this ebay auction. Unless the information from seller it's not correct, it looks like it's "Outlandish" the track edited out from this Savoy two-lp compilation:

ebay auction

Regards,

Agustín

This Crazeology playlist includes all four tracks for this "Black California" Savoy issue:

Crazeology Playlist: Show #484, 4/25/1998

(...)

"BLACK CALIFORNIA" Savoy 2215 C:5-8 11:10

OUTLANDISH [524] (Harold Land)

SWINGIN' ON SAVOY [525] (Harold Land)

SAN DIEGO BOUNCE [526] (Harold Land)

I'LL REMEMBER APRIL [527] (Gene DePaul, Patricia Johnston, Don Raye)

4/25/1949 Los Angeles CA [in order]

HAROLD LAND:

Froebel Brigham (tpt)

Russell Campbell (tb)

William Doty (as)

Harold Land (ts)

Freddie Jackson (p)

Dave Dyson (b)

Leon Petties (dr)

(...)

Crazeology

Edited by EKE BBB

I didn't ask my question correctly.

I'm trying to find a CD compilation with all four tracks.

I assume SJL 2215 is the two-LP set entitled Black California. Was this ever on CD with ALL the same tracks? I suspect not.

From what I can tell on the web, there is no CD collection with all these tracks currently available. Savoy On Central Avenue only has the three Land originals. 'April' is on something called Savoy First Steps.

I wonder if the track 'Swingin' On Savoy' performed by Dexter Gordon is the Harold Land composition.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I knew something was weird.

1) I know they are unreliable, but jazzdisco.org does not have Dexter ever recording a track called 'Swingin' On Savoy'.

2) The iTunes CD called Savoy On Central Avenue - The Master Recordings Volume One has a track called 'Swingin' On Savoy' by the Dexter Gordon quintet.

3) There is a 2-CD set on CD universe also called Savoy On Central Avenue which has Harold Land playing 'Swingin' On Savoy'.

I listened to the sound bites for both - I believe it's the same performance.

Harold Land at 21 does not have that unique sound I know from the late 60s session with Hutcherson, but there is certainly no obvious reason to think the track is Dexter. Also, it seems it is more a septet than a quintet.

My conclusion: the track on iTunes called 'Swingin' On Savoy' is the Harold Land septet, not the Dexter Gordon quintet.

Anyone else agree with me?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 2 weeks later...

OK I CAN BELIVEE I NEVER KNEW THIS ONE EXISTED EITHER BUT IF I DONT GET A COPY LIKE TOMORROW, IM GOING 2 HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN! OH MAN, HAROLD AND FRO TOEGTHER! HEY DO U GUYS KNOW WHO FRO BRIGHAM WAS? BASICALLY, HE WAS A REALLY GOOD SWING/INTO BEBOP ERA TRUMPETER- HE WAS SO GOOD AND EVERYONE KNEW HIM. BASIE AND ELLINGTON PLEADED WITH HIM AT NUMEROUS POINTS TO GO ON THE ROAD WITH THEM, BUT FRO BRIGHAM-- FRO IS COOL CAUSE HE TOLD THE DUKE AND BASIE "FUCK YOU GUYS, IM NOT GOING ON THE ROAD WITH YOU, IM STAYING IN SAN DIEGO AND IM GONNA BE THE KING OF SAN DIEGO JAZZ!!" you gotta give the man some serious props for that!

Never heard of him Chewy.

I found this...

Froebel Astor Brigham

Jazz--Born:1917 native of Magnolia, Arkansas--The leader of The Preservation Band, Brigham performed almost until the time of his death on May 31, 1996. In 1994 and 1995, The Preservation Band was honored by winning Best Dixieland category at The San Diego Music Awards. Upon his death age 79, his family established the Fro Brigham Preservation Jazz Scholorship to help high school students attend college and study jazz.

document24.jpg

Edited by marcello