Kidd Jordan

7/4

Does anyone have anything substantive to say about Kidd Jordan and his music? I have heard some of this recordings and caught him at last year's Vision Quest. To be honest, I have not heard enough variety in his playing to become a fan. Based on what I have heard (which is more than just a few things) he seems to go straight for the jugular all the time. I do, however, try to be an open listener so I am always welcome to suggestions of specific recordings fans consider worthwhile.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 years later...

New Orleans avant-jazz saxophonist Kidd Jordan improvises his way to $50K fellowship

Avant-jazz saxophonist and educator Edward “Kidd” Jordan didn’t always get paid.

Audiences and venue owners sometimes responded poorly to his adventurous, mostly improvised approach to jazz, which prioritizes being in the moment more than melody.

“Some people liked it, and some walked out,” he recalled recently. “They’d say, ‘Y’all play that crazy music. Y’all crazy.’ We were, but it developed into something.”

Staring down an empty venue, he’d prep his bandmates with, “We’re going to play for the seats tonight.”

But, he said, “I’d see the seats dancing.

“Come hell or high water, whether you were making a million dollars or you knew they were going to run out with the money and you weren’t getting paid, it was the same thing: we played, and we had a great time. If you get a dollar, you get a dollar.”

Edited by kh1958