Unbelievable... Earl Hines and Johnny Hartman...

mmilovan

Uh oh ... seems like I tipped you off to a site full of goodies! :D :D :D

Anyway .... who was it again who said that (to paraphrase the actual quote) "you cannot go wrong underestimating the taste of the (American??) public"? ;)

As for this particular tune, I guess songs like this just are a sign of the times. Some of what Herb Jeffries did around those times was very much an acquired taste too. Not something for the jazz lovers. Remember jazz (and even really meaty R&B) ALWAYS was a minority section of the overall record market.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Uh oh ... seems like I tipped you off to a site full of goodies! :D :D :D

Anyway .... who was it again who said that (to paraphrase the actual quote) "you cannot go wrong underestimating the taste of the (American??) public"? ;)

As for this particular tune, I guess songs like this just are a sign of the times. Some of what Herb Jeffries did around those times was very much an acquired taste too. Not something for the jazz lovers. Remember jazz (and even really meaty R&B) ALWAYS was a minority section of the overall record market.

Of course, but having known what Hines did in previous decade this is downfall to hell...

And, I agree with you about Herb, those albums he did with strings are full of saccharin.

Edited by mmilovan

It's a bit of empty commercial pap, but I still enjoy hearing Hartman sing it (and if the audio quality wasn't so painful I'd like it even more). The corniness of it is very dated, but hell, they were just trying to make a buck. This is no worse than some of the funky commercial pap produced by jazz musicians trying to make a buck in the 70's, for example.

are there Earl Hines fans here (other than me)? It's funny, because as I was just getting ready to sell some CDs, I thought, I have NEVER been able to sell a Hines CD on Organissimo - glad there's a few Hinesians speaking up - he's probably my favorite pianist next to Bud Powell-

are there Earl Hines fans here (other than me)? It's funny, because as I was just getting ready to sell some CDs, I thought, I have NEVER been able to sell a Hines CD on Organissimo - glad there's a few Hinesians speaking up - he's probably my favorite pianist next to Bud Powell-

I've long considered myself a fan of Earl Hines. Not a Johnny Hartman fan though...never much liked that style of singing.

Hines is a big favorite of mine. I grabbed every Hines LP which I discovered in the Music Exchange's $1/album liquidation sale, which I have described elsewhere on this forum. There were quite a few Hines LPs from after 1960. I found a lode of them in a box of mostly polka music. That's the way that the Music Exchange's $1 sale goes.

I have also learned that Amoeba bought what they wanted from the Music Exchange's 1 million LPs, before the rest of the collection was put on sale to the public. It is surprising how much great music remains.

I met a guy once who, when he found out I was a jazz fan, told me had once seen an old pianist play in new York in the early 70's and got to talking to him. The pianist invited him to his hotel room with some other hangers-on and they hung around smoking pot and carrying on into the wee hours. "You must know this guy! He was amazing! His name was... Father something." "Uh... could it have been Earl 'Fatha' Hines?" "Yes! That's it! Father Hines! He was amazing!"

I met a guy once who, when he found out I was a jazz fan, told me had once seen an old pianist play in new York in the early 70's and got to talking to him. The pianist invited him to his hotel room with some other hangers-on and they hung around smoking pot and carrying on into the wee hours. "You must know this guy! He was amazing! His name was... Father something." "Uh... could it have been Earl 'Fatha' Hines?" "Yes! That's it! Father Hines! He was amazing!"

:blink:

Hines, Teddy Wilson, Nat King Cole, Herbie Nichols, they're all good.

(And yes, I'm sure there were some Hines threads on here sometime ago.)

Edited by BruceH