Robert Downey Jr.'s risky role in "Tropic Thunder"

Not interested. I don't really care how ironic the use of blackface is, it's too much for me.

As far as portrayals of the mentally challenged, Extras (the Gervais show) skated right up to that line and wobbled a bit but pulled back just enough. This movie looks like it just crashes through that barrier. Again, always being ironic and knowing about it, but that doesn't cut it with me. Just not interested.

I plan on seeing this when it opens tomorrow. I don't care how tasteless it is (and I'm speaking as someone who has worked with the metally challenged), I think that Downey looks AMAZING in this.

Moreover, it's pretty obvious that the film is not meant to demean either blacks or the handicapped, but rather Hollywood's hypocracy. Stiller's character plays a mentally handicapped man in order to advance his career, not because he cares about the challenges that such people face. Hollywood recognizes that playing a handicapped individual is a fast-track to an Oscar, but they still call the character a "retard." That says a lot more about these characters than it does about people with mental disabilties...

Not interested. I don't really care how ironic the use of blackface is, it's too much for me.

As far as portrayals of the mentally challenged, Extras (the Gervais show) skated right up to that line and wobbled a bit but pulled back just enough. This movie looks like it just crashes through that barrier. Again, always being ironic and knowing about it, but that doesn't cut it with me. Just not interested.

Blackface is and has always been a far more complex phenomenon than simply "white people making fun of black people."

Stiller's character plays a mentally handicapped man in order to advance his career, not because he cares about the challenges that such people face. Hollywood recognizes that playing a handicapped individual is a fast-track to an Oscar, but they still call the character a "retard."

That said, if Stiller ever wins an Oscar, I will know that I have witnessed the collapse of Western Civilization.

Moreover, it's pretty obvious that the film is not meant to demean either blacks or the handicapped, but rather Hollywood's hypocracy. Stiller's character plays a mentally handicapped man in order to advance his career, not because he cares about the challenges that such people face. Hollywood recognizes that playing a handicapped individual is a fast-track to an Oscar, but they still call the character a "retard." That says a lot more about these characters than it does about people with mental disabilties...

I'm well aware of the intent, but as we've discussed on plenty of other occasions, including the New Yorker "satire" of the Obamas, once these things are out there in the public, the original intent is muted and you have powerful images circulating and influencing the culture in weird ways. I don't appreciate the possibility that this film makes it safer for entertainers to put on blackface in an ironic way. I don't think that its extremely tame message (newsflash - actors are self-absorbed jerks who will do anything for a role) justifies Downey's performance. And that goes doubly for putting "retard" back into circulation, when it was largely fading out of US vocabulary.

Edited by ejp626

I plan on seeing this when it opens tomorrow. I don't care how tasteless it is (and I'm speaking as someone who has worked with the metally challenged), I think that Downey looks AMAZING in this.

Have to admit I'm actually going to see this in the theatre.

I'm no Stiller fan and Jack Black tends to get on my nerves, but from the clips I've seen and heard, this one looks very funny to me.

• 4 weeks later...

it was not particularly good. if someone wants to see a movie you do not want to see, it is a good movie to suggest as an alternate. but it is not that good. fart jokes? come on.

Heck, I still consider Blazing Saddles to be a classic!

Well, it wasn't at a Blazing Saddles level of funny, but still pretty damn funny.

Not enough fart jokes though, if you ask me.

Gotta say, I'll be grabbing this the second it's available on Netflix. Stiller makes me laugh (the way Woody Allen once did) and frankly, all the BS that's been created by the PC Police with regard to this movie makes me want to give them my money that much more.

More importantly, my raging movie-on over what's coming this Friday is starting to cause me back pain. I usually won't go to the theater (hate the other people -- passionately), but I just have to see Righteous Kill in the first 12 minutes it's out!