U2 - Early CD Reissues

Soulstation1

Anyone pick up any of the early U2?

I saw them remastered on LP, Deluxe CD and regular remastered CD

I'm waiting for a price break on the Deluxe sets of the first three, but got the Deluxe set on 'The Joshua Tree' a while ago, and the sound was terrific, a great improvement. I would have liked to have gotten the super-deluxe version with the DVD, but it is way too pricey. I consider 'War' to be their best studio album ('Under A Blood Red Sky' their best overall), and "I Will Follow" from 'Boy' and "Gloria" from 'October' their best songs, so I am really looking to getting the three early titles in these reissues.

Edited by felser

I picked up the deluxe set for "Joshua Tree" and I thought it didn't sound all that great. It's very loud and I tired of listening to it after a few songs.

However, I recently picked up the new vinyl version of "War" and I like this a lot. Bono's lyrics and much clearer and the strident, digital-sounding highs are minimized. I don't think this was an "audiophile" recording session to begin with.

If I was more into "Boy" and "October", I'd pick them up pronto.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I like them. October has been the one I've actually been most impressed with, maybe because I gave it less attention in the past. The bonus tracks on that one are really good. Boy is well done, but the War bonus disc could have been better.

Under a Blood Red Sky is next on deck for September 30th I think. There are no bonus CD tracks from what I've read though, which disappoints me. The DVD will have additional material on it.

I'm looking forward to Unforgettable Fire, which I assume will be after that.

I like them. October has been the one I've actually been most impressed with, maybe because I gave it less attention in the past. The bonus tracks on that one are really good. Boy is well done, but the War bonus disc could have been better.

You got THAT right. There are some nice songs on that disc, but does anyone need four or five different mixes of "New Year's Day" and "Two Hearts Beat as One" each??? That said, having a remastered WAR more than justifies the purchase price ($19.99 at Best Buy the week they came out). AFAIC, this mix lives up to Bono's claim that WAR is "a slap in the face," grabbing you by the throat and forcing you to listen! [rant]Not too keen on the liner notes, though; the writer goes out of his way to avoid the spiritual basis of a lot of WAR's songs. I mean, "40" IS Psalm 40! Just because one is an atheist (or, at the very least, one who lives in fear of being lumped with any religious group) need not preclude one from stating what a song is! [/rant]

Me too. I haven't read anything about what's supposed to be on it, but it sure would be nice if disc two had the Wide Awake in America EP as well as The Unforgettable Fire EP (preferably the UF EP mix of "Love Comes Tumbling," which has that extra couple of seconds of guitar strumming at the beginning).

Without a doubt! This was my first ever cd purchase back in 1986 or so. Sounds like ass to me. This album has so many textures that got lost in the original transfer to cd. I still play my vinyl copy instead, and I hope they do the remaster some justice!