Album Of The Week: November 2-8

jacknife

I pick this album by one of the truely underappreciated greats on the Tenor Sax..Clifford Jordan. Every tune on this disc is magical especially the track dedicated to John Coltrane. Lets give Cliff his due!

This disc is still available from Dusty Groove for those who haven't experienced this masterpiece.

Edited by jacknife

This disc is still available from Dusty Groove for those who haven't experienced this masterpiece.

Not any more! :(

I must have got the last copy in stock. Dusty Groove does have that great feature where one can request to be informed via email when something comes back in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first full length Clifford Jordan, though I already had a different version the song "John Coltrane" on a 32Jazz compilation--when I saw it on the track listing I sprang at the opportunity to hear similar music.

I rate GLASS BEAD GAMES exactly as highly as Rooster Ties did on the first page of this thread. I am looking forward to reading some typically verbose dissection of this fine specimine... B) :tup:tup:tup:tup

When this double lp first came out is was something of a lighthouse in a sea of mediocre electro jazz. I liked it from the start. Jordan's gathered a nice bunch of attractive and sometimes striking compositions for this date. None of them are overlong and Jordan makes the most of the melodic and rhytmic possibilties. And what a nice sound he has. Of the two piano/bass teams, I find Stanley Cowell and Bill Lee preferable. Billy Higgins is okay too!!

Nice one jacknife.

Edited by JohnS

Don't know how accurate this is, but a friend who played and hung w/Clifford for a while in the early 80s says that Jordan considered IN THE WORLD his best, or at least favorite album, and I'd go along with that.

But this one comes in at a photofinish for second as far as I'm concerned.

I’ve had Glass Bead Games now for a month or two, thanks to the recommendation from Conn500. It has easily moved up towards the top of my all-time favorite list! While I wouldn’t call this disc laid back, it is very relaxing to me. Perfect for those late night listens when I like to turn off all the lights and kick back in the recliner and close my eyes and float into the music. As the liner notes say, “let the music caress your soul” and it does a great job at that.

I tend to agree with JohnS about preferring Quartet 1 with Stanley Cowell and Bill Lee but Cedar Walton and Sam Jones are no slouches either!

Considering how much I like this disc, I am now very curious about In The World as JSngry mentions. Is this one on cd, any suggestions where to find it?

I don't seem to be able to find this one for a reasonable price here in Switzerland (and amazon.de does not seem to deliver it... well, at least they did not yet cancel my order, so there is hope still). Petty I cannot participate here, as I like Jordan a lot! I recommend picking up the two 32jazz dates, as long as they're around!

ubu