Lee Morgan- Candy question

sjarrell

I first got the lp in the '60s, bought a Japanese lp in the '80s and have the cd now. Never noticed the squeak. I hope you haven't ruined a favorite for me.

These guys must be listening on earphones. I've gone through more than one edition as well, and I've never heard it. Something about our advancing years, maybe? :huh:

You can hear Art Taylor's hi hat squeak nicely on Gene Ammons' "Jammin' with Jug" (PR7060/OJC211). It was mentioned in the sleeve notes for the reissue on PR7781.

It does seem odd RVG not having any oil handy. I dare say he recorded "Candy", too.

MG

Poor Art Taylor. His hi-hat squeaks, and he rushes, etc. (see Allen Lowe's posts on the subject, plus Lewis Porter's detailed notes to Coltrane's "Fearless Leader" box set). On the other hand, he had a cool moustache and was part of rhythm sections that at times swung like crazy (listen, for one, to "There Will Never Be Another You" on Louis Smith's "Smithville").

This is on every version I've ever spun and yes, it drives me nuts too.

BTW, not to ruin a great date for your future listening pleasure (STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW), but Taylor does it again on the title track to Drew's "Undercurrent".

I didn't know Taylor's "squeaky wheel" infected some Prestige dates too. Don't tell me, I don't want to know!! :D

Guess this is another joke, since Louis Hayes is the drummer on that record.

Listened to my copy of Candy - Japanese King LP - through speakers and with headphones and couldn't hear anything that I'd call a squeak. Hope my ears aren't that bad - don't think they are.

This is on every version I've ever spun and yes, it drives me nuts too.

BTW, not to ruin a great date for your future listening pleasure (STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW), but Taylor does it again on the title track to Drew's "Undercurrent".

I didn't know Taylor's "squeaky wheel" infected some Prestige dates too. Don't tell me, I don't want to know!! :D

Guess this is another joke, since Louis Hayes is the drummer on that record.

Well I'll be a... great catch. Why all these years I've thought it was Arthur is beyond me. But Louis must've been borrowing Art's kit, because the squeak is the same as on "Candy".

The thing about the squeak is that until you hear it, it's not there. Once you hear it, you can't stop hearing it! :)

Later,

Kevin

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This chapter studies “the creak” that can be heard on Miles Davis's “Old Folks”. This song is part of Davis's album, Someday My Prince Will Come, which has never attracted the attention or rave reviews given to many of his other records. It is this audible creak—heard 1:15 minutes from the start of “Old Folks”—and the ways one might gather some of the meanings revealed and shaped by the creak that are studied here. The chapter also discusses how people listen to, perform, and evaluate jazz.

http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1525/california/9780520266889.003.0003

Thought this must have been an april fools prank at first but it was published in October!