Jimmy Heath - The Gap Sealer/Love and Understanding

felser

Just stumbled onto this one on Amazon, sorry if it's been reported elsewhere. A Spanish label called JazzBeat has just issued a CD containing all of 'The Gap Sealer' and all but one Ellington cover of 'Love and Understanding' on one CD. These were fantastic albums, to me clearly the highlights of his career. They have a very early 70's feel with electric piano and bass and modal structures, but are quite spiritual and emotional on top of the technical excellence. Sidemen include Kenny Barron, Stanley Cowell, Curtis Fuller, Bob Cranshaw, Billy Higgins, Tootie Heath, Mtume (Heath's son), and cellist Bernard Fennell, who makes a meaningful contribution on 'Love and Understanding'. "Alkebu-lan" is especially amazing, but it's all very very good or even great. The Ellington cover ("In a Sentimental Mood") always clashed greatly with the progressive mood of the rest of 'Love and Understanding' and I generally skipped over it when playing the album, so while I'd prefer to see the whole album intact, that cut isn't really missed, and to get these two albums minus that one outlier track on one reasonably priced CD is wonderful. No idea on the sound (I'll report back after I receive and play the CD), but even if it's just a decent needle drop, I'm thrilled to be getting this CD.

The Gap sealer is a needle drop for sure. I didn't listen to the second LP so I can't comment on that one. Didn't like the sound at all.

Well, it's not like Avenue Records, or whoever it is that holds the Cobblestone/Muse catalog at this point, is going to reissue this stuff from the masters, so give the lack of alternatives, I'll take this.

Those are two of my favorite Jimmy Heath recording.

jimmyheath373019.jpg

jimmy_health_gapsealer.jpg

(Personnel: Kenny Barron, Bob Cranshaw, Albert "Tootie" Heath, Mtume, Curtis Fuller, Stanley Cowell, Bernard Fennell, Billy Higgins)

Chris Albertson did a TV show with this band, by the way.

So is this one...

1000639a.jpg

Edited by marcello

I don't think I have anything by Jimmy Heath that I don't like, but my favourite album of his has always been 'Triple Threat'. I bought it on vinyl when it was first released and I've loved it ever since.

I also managed to speak to him briefly when he was leading a quartet at The Village Vanguard about seven years ago and he seemed a very nice, dignified person. The music wasn't too bad either!

Yes, he's a very nice man.

Here's a photo of him at a Jazzmobile concert that was forced indoors into a museum by bad weather in 1978:

445566851_12f6f56ca1.jpg

I had given him these photos that I took the year before just before the concert:

434287836_0831191bc8.jpg

I also gave him this one for Percy:

492007580_270a68cb0e.jpg

A very nice man, indeed.

By the way, the Picture of Heath record has not only some of the best Jimmy Heath playing, some some of the best tenor saxophone playing in my collection.

A wise choice, Niko!

Also, try to find The Time and The Place on Landmark. Produced by Don Schlitten, intended for releasee on Muse, iirc, didn't make it out, sat in the can for years. But good stuff, same modal-ish/Afro-percussion (or as the kids like to call it today, "spiritual") leanings as these other two, Curtis Fuller's in the house, as are Stanley Cowell, Pat Martino, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins, & Mtume. Definitely worth hunting down, this one is.

For completists, I think all six tracks of 'Love and Understanding' were on a long gone 1990s Xanadu CD.

on first impression, the sound on the tracks from love and understanding is indeed a bit better, could be just a better needle drop however, sound is still far from great; just listening to the great cello passage at the beginning of gemini...

these are great albums, thank you!!

I thought it couldn't hurt with yet another opinion; I find 'Love and Understanding' to be a nice listen, but not too involving if you ask me. I would probably rate some of Heath's Riversides higher. And Heath is a rather, well, "cautious" soloist. Nothing wrong with that - I don't think anyone would find Duke Pearson, whose playing I enjoy greatly, particularly adventurous.

allright, I've been wanting to say this for some time - is there anyone else who, like me, thinks that Jimmy Heath, a fine musician, is one of the dullest jazz soloists ever?

totally disagree. I've seen him play so many tuneful solos that I can't believe you would make that statement. Dull is word I would NEVER use with this great artist :w

Edited by mr jazz

allright, I've been wanting to say this for some time - is there anyone else who, like me, thinks that Jimmy Heath, a fine musician, is one of the dullest jazz soloists ever?

totally disagree. I've seen him play so many tuneful solos that I can't believe you would make that statement. Dull is word I would NEVER use with this great artist :w

IMO, you're both right. His recordings with the Heath Brothers and many of his solo recordings the last 25-30 years have been dreadfully dull. But in the Gap Sealer/Love and Understanding/Time and a Place period of the early 70's, his playing and music were forceful and forward looking. Listen to his playing on "Alkebu-Lan" and try to say he's dull. Listen to any of the recent Heath Brothers stuff and try to say he isn't. His Riverside recordings were triumphs of writing and arranging, but I think several of the fondly remembered middleweight tenors of that era could have matched his playing. He's not the only tenor player from the golden era of the 50's-60's who reached his playing peak later. Clifford Jordan and George Coleman and Phroah Sanders come readily to mind (Jordan was fabulous with Mingus ca. '64, though), and I'm sure there are others.

His recordings with the Heath Brothers and many of his solo recordings the last 25-30 years have been dreadfully dull.

Again, I think you need to revisit some of these Heath Brother's recordings. I just wish "Live at the Public theater" was available on cd as there is some wonderful ensemble playing on this recording. "Brotherly Love" features a lovely solo from Jimmy on Autumn in New York (available on cd but screams for a proper remastering!).

Edited by mr jazz