Lou Donaldson Corner

Soul Stream

This is for all things Lou. He is THE man. The Art Blakey of the jazz organ world. Every major jazz organist has spent time in Lou's group at one time or another. From Larry Young to Charles Earland and beyond. He is such a master of his instrument, but doesn't get the credit he deserves as someone who made the organ group a viable commodity. Jimmy Smith may have been the man, but Lou was/is the godfather.

If you play organ, you dream of being on Lou Donaldson's bandstand one day.

Lou was consistent, that's good to know. Thanks AB.

Have his Argo/Cadet dates been re-issued on cd? SIGNIFYIN' and POSSUM HEAD get high ratings on AMG. As the former noj4possumproductions, POSSUM HEAD is something I should have!

Edited by Noj

I've got:

EVERYTHING I PLAY IS FUNKY

ALLIGATOR BOGALOO

GOOD GRACIOUS

What should I look for next from Lou? I was just looking at THE NATURAL SOUL, and I regret not getting it.

Well, You've GOT to get "The Natural Soul." No doubt about it.

...really everything by Lou is wonderful. If I were you, I'd pick up "The Midnight Creeper" next. Still in print. Then try and find "Mr. Shing-a-ling." Not in print, but very easy to find. Both are prime 'Soul-jazz Lou with Lonnie at the helm.

But when you're really ready for some heavy Lou, find "The Scorpion: Live at the Cadillac Club." Lou live in 1970 in Newark. To me, this is THE live organ group recording.

But when you're really ready for some heavy Lou, find "The Scorpion: Live at the Cadillac Club."  Lou live in 1970 in Newark.  To me, this is THE live organ group recording.

Man, I gotta go with Lonnie Smith Live at Club Mozambique. That thing is just flat-out stupid. Not a stinker on there. Than again, this is coming from someone who doesn't play organ and a number of people here do. So.....

On another note, don't forget Lou on Jimmy Smith Cool Blues. That's some of my favorite Donaldson on record.

Edited by Brandon Burke

But when you're really ready for some heavy Lou, find "The Scorpion: Live at the Cadillac Club."  Lou live in 1970 in Newark.  To me, this is THE live organ group recording.

Man, I gotta go with Lonnie Smith Live at Club Mozambique. That thing is just flat-out stupid. Not a stinker on there. Than again, this is coming from someone who doesn't play organ and a number of people here do. So.....

On another note, don't forget Lou on Jimmy Smith Cool Blues. That's some of my favorite Donaldson on record.

...Well, you got me there. "Live At Club Mozambique" is THE live organ album!!!! I don't care if I contradict myself! Oh, and did I meniton "Move Your Hand." ;):D

...Well, you got me there. "Live At Club Mozambique" is THE live organ album!!!! I don't care if I contradict myself! Oh, and did I meniton "Move Your Hand." ;):D

HELLYEAH!

While I'm not the biggest fan of this kinda stuff (would be difficult beating some of our worthy constituents...), these two CDs always did it for me! Check out that Muhammad solo on Scorpion! And a nice'n'easy version of Seven Steps on Mozambique... (and after all that, throw in some Ayler to relax :g )

ubu

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Looks like MIDNIGHT CREEPER, MR. SHING-A-LING, THE SCORPION, and Jimmy Smith COOL BLUES will have to follow THE NATURAL SOUL (gonna go back and see if that one is still where I saw it).

I've got Lonnie Smith LIVE AT CLUB MOZAMBIQUE and MOVE YOUR HAND--both excellent, excellent discs.

On my way to get myself a Ultimo Burrito I picked myself up Jimmy Smith COOL BLUES on sale for ten bucks at Virgin. I saw THE NATURAL SOUL there but it wasn't on sale, so I went with the less expensive deal. Besides, I only had THE SERMON, BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK, and ROOT DOWN for a Jimmy Smith collection.

COOL BLUES is doing all the right things for me, a great recommendation. I've been paying attention to Lou, and agree he is fantastic here. Did I hear Babs Gonzales call Art Blakey "Art Blakley" though? :blink:

I'll have to look for BLUES WALK, couw. I'm adding it to the list, thanks! B)

Glad to see a thread on Sweet Poppa Lou... I've got all the early stuff except Midnight Sun, and most of the later BN stuff too. The Natural Soul is such a great album IMO..

... the best thing, I think, is that Lou is still very much alive and kickin' at the age of 77; how many of his contemporaries are still alive, let alone playing?

Lou vs Cannonball? That's apples and oranges.

No, it's more like oranges and tangerines. Very similar but fundamentally different when push comes to shove. I like them both equally, more or less, but would never substitute one for the other, in either direction.

Of course it's "apples and oranges". Otherwise, it wouldn't be a fun argument, right? I don't think we were suggesting that one of them should replace the other on any given session. (Then again, maybe we were.....) As you know, while quite similar, they're both on a totally different level from the other. I still prefer Lou and find that I enjoy his full-lengths better than I do Cannonball's from the soul-jazz era. For me, it's a George Martin/Beatles deal. I like the Cannonball records where Axelrod plays a significant role better than the other stuff. In other words, I like the ones that make for amazing hip hop samples, with all the orchestration and arrangement. Know what I mean....?