Music preference and personality

umum_cypher

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm

Jazz fans = 'high self-esteem, creative, outgoing and at ease'. Does this sound like you?

(For the first time ever I'm going to a metal gig tonight - roped in - but after reading what the fans are like I'm not sure I want to. They'll spot my high self-esteem from a mile off).

Jazz fans = 'high self-esteem, creative, outgoing and at ease'. Does this sound like you?

(For the first time ever I'm going to a metal gig tonight - roped in - but after reading what the fans are like I'm not sure I want to. They'll spot my high self-esteem from a mile off).

guess i do have a high self-esteem but i am certainly not outgoing or at ease and of average creativity - maybe i should check out chart pop

ever wondered what you'd be listening to if you lost your self-esteem and weren't at ease? (Bollywood) and if you then lose your creativity and starting working hard it becomes country and western

if this article gives even a half-accurate picture of the paper it describes the paper must be pretty crappy

"INDIE Low self-esteem, creative, not hard working, not gentle"

???????? what a sh...y piece of research ...

wonder whether "hard-working" people are just those who said they'd work hard and vice-versa (and now one might argue that how someone feels about his workload is more important than the actual size of it)(should probably say "workload in relation to ability" instead of just workload)

i mean, you can probably find out in a survey whether someone is creative, or gentle without asking "are you gentle?" but (this is a real question) i wouldn't think this works out for hard-working (because neither what people say nor, say, their income can measure how hard someone works)

and what about people who dare to listen to more than one type of music... guess i'll have to get the paper or i get nuts - this sounds so stupid....

hey kids! why not take the test yourself!! here's a link to the questionnaires used in the study: http://www.peopleintomusic.com/

if this is really the survey used for this study i am either worried or impressed (the thing can't have found out how hard i am working)

edit to add: put differently, i guess it's some other survey... the only lyrics i recognized were by amy winehouse and rihanna whatever that reveals about my listening habits

what does hard-working mean and how do you find out whether someone is hard-working by asking questions

Edited by Niko

A couple of years ago I read a piece of cod psychology in a colour magazine where someone claimed that, by examining the contents of a record collection, he could determine its owner's personality. Where jazz records were present, his opinion was:

1) Classical records also likely to be present (Surprised?)

2) Owner likely to score high on tests of openness to new ideas and innovation (Flattering?)

3) Owner likely to score low on tests of religious devotion (Provided Ellington's Sacred Concert wasn't in the collection, I suppose :) )

A couple of years ago I read a piece of cod psychology in a colour magazine where someone claimed that, by examining the contents of a record collection, he could determine its owner's personality. Where jazz records were present, his opinion was:

2) Owner likely to score high on tests of openness to new ideas and innovation (Flattering?)

3) Owner likely to score low on tests of religious devotion (Provided Ellington's Sacred Concert wasn't in the collection, I suppose :) )

seems it's time to start the "do you have a beard" poll...

Sometimes I worry that my move from bop and hard-bop to freer, spiritual jazz means that I'm going crazy, but then I remind myself that actually, freer jazz is the most natural progression of all.

seems it's time to start the "do you have a beard" poll...

Well, if that's your portrait I'm looking at, we know the answer! :)

well the beard in the picture is not the (much fuller) type of beard i'd associate with a jazz fan... actually i look a lot like the portrait (which is why i picked it, haven't read any of that guy's stuff though i want to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Rodenbach) but i don't have that beard

Glad you've picked a picture that looks like you, Niko. I always find it a bit disconcerting not to know whether or not I'm looking at an image or near-image of the poster. I mean, does Allen Lowe really look like one of Richard Nixon's seedier henchmen? Or does medjuck look like Clarence Williams - or is that a photo of someone else?

Edited by BillF

well the beard in the picture is not the (much fuller) type of beard i'd associate with a jazz fan... actually i look a lot like the portrait (which is why i picked it, haven't read any of that guy's stuff though i want to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Rodenbach) but i don't have that beard

Glad you've picked a picture that looks like you, Niko. I always find it a bit disconcerting not to know whether or not I'm looking at an image or near-image of the poster. I mean, does Allen Lowe really look like one of Richard Nixon's seedier henchmen? Or does Medjuk look like Clarence Williams - or is that a photo of someone else?

me, only picture i have, actually even with some sort of beard, but that one was not intended

post-3025-1221125525_thumb.jpg

Glad you've picked a picture that looks like you, Niko. I always find it a bit disconcerting not to know whether or not I'm looking at an image or near-image of the poster. I mean, does Allen Lowe really look like one of Richard Nixon's seedier henchmen? Or does Medjuk look like Clarence Williams - or is that a photo of someone else?

me, only picture i have, actually even with some sort of beard, but that one was not intended

post-3025-1221125525_thumb.jpg

Nice one, Niko!

Glad you've picked a picture that looks like you, Niko. I always find it a bit disconcerting not to know whether or not I'm looking at an image or near-image of the poster. I mean, does Allen Lowe really look like one of Richard Nixon's seedier henchmen? Or does medjuck look like Clarence Williams - or is that a photo of someone else?

Tiny Parham actually. I'll try to attach a picture. If it works, I'm the old guy. The others are my family. I do have a beard though only for the last 35 years.

post-385-1221263084_thumb.jpg

Tiny Parham actually. I'll try to attach a picture. If it works, I'm the old guy. The others are my family. I do have a beard though only for the last 35 years.

What a nice family, medjuck!

Heck, I've always assumed Noj looked like Gary Busey...