What's your favorite Charlie Parker on Verve?

bluesbro

Two quartet sessions which I have on Verve vinyl: The Genius of Charlie Parker #3: Now's the Time:

"Now's the Time", I Remember You", "Confirmation" and "Chi Chi".

"The Song is You", "Laird Baird", Kim" and "Cosmic Rays".

Yup, these get my vote as well. Just about any of the sides he did with Max Roach are at the top for me.

Oh Lady Be Good from the Jan. 28, 1946 JATP session.

The Bird from the Jazz Scene.

No Noise and Mango Mangue with Machito.

Segment/Diverse/Passport with KD and Al Haig.

The great 1949 JATP performance.

The Star Eyes and Blues (Fast) quartet performances.

The session with Dizzy and Monk.

Celebrity and Ballade.

Afro-Cuban Jazz Suite with Machito.

The 1951 quintet session with Miles Davis (Au Privave, She Rote, K.C. Blues and Star Eyes)

The 1951 quintet session with Red Rodney (Blues for Alice, Si Si, Swedish Schnapps)

The Norman Granz Jam Session with Johnny Hodges and Benny Carter.

The 1952 quartet performance (Kim, Cosmic Rays, Laird Baird)

The 1953 quartet performance (Chi Chi, Now's the Time Confirmation)

Love for Sale from the final studio recording in December of 1954.

I got a good deal on the Complete Charlie Parker on Verve box (10 CDs for $50, new!!! :excited: ), so I want to use this thread as a 'what to listen to first' once it arrives.

What are your favorite tracks from Bird's 'Verve' period?

:tup

Does your box include the Bird and Diz studio session with Monk? I grew up with that one and have never got over it! :)

Edited by BillF

The whole box is a blast. I say start at the beginning, and listen all the way through it.

I agree, it's really impossible to choose, there's so much great stuff. Although I wouldn't call it a favourite track I've always found If I Love Again with the Dave Lambert Singers remarkable in an odd sort of way.

I got a good deal on the Complete Charlie Parker on Verve box (10 CDs for $50, new!!! :excited: ), so I want to use this thread as a 'what to listen to first' once it arrives.

Does your box include the Bird and Diz studio session with Monk? I grew up with that one and have never got over it! :)

I'm pretty sure it does. I also dig that session, not the least of the reasons being the presence of Buddy Rich. I know, I know, he supposedly is not a good fit on that session. I disagree; IMOSHO, he actually supercharges the proceedings.

I'm pretty sure it does. I also dig that session, not the least of the reasons being the presence of Buddy Rich. I know, I know, he supposedly is not a good fit on that session. I disagree; IMOSHO, he actually supercharges the proceedings.

I'm absolutely with you on that, Al. What is more, our view is backed by Britain's leading Parkerish altoist, Peter King, who approved Rich's contribution to the Bird and Diz session during a BBC broadcast a few months ago.