any ideas for questions?

AllenLowe

as some of you know I am working on a film and have alreday interviewed some cultural dignitaries including our own Chris Albertson, Roswell Rudd, Matt Shipp, our own David Beardsley, Jonathon Lethem, Ethan Iverson -

well I have an appointment on October 14 to interview Wynton Marsalis at Lincoln Center; should be interesting and I will be on my best manners. Keeping this civil (wasn't easy getting this interview and I don't want someone from Lincoln Center seeing someone saying something bad and canceling it) - just thought I'd open the floor for questions - REAL questions, not, "what is your favorite color?" though of course if there is enough demand I will ask that -

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did he do such a truckload of albums for his label (I think it was Columbia but can't swear to it) just before they dumped their jazz department? Did he have some kind of advance warning that they were about to ditch jazz, or was it just a strange coincidence?

Edited by BruceH

Which if his recordings would he recommend to a total jazz neophyte, and why?

Which of his recordings does he think and/or hope that people will be listening to long after he's dead, and why?

Which of his compositions does he think/hope should become "jazz standards"?

Did he at any point in his career contemplate making a "power play" into the classical world as he did into jazz? If not, why, and if so, why did he finally decide against it?

What does he consider the greatest strengths and weaknesses of his playing and his composing?

Is your family like the Jacksons of jazz, and if so who you feel you are more like: Tito or Jermaine ?

... i actually tried to add up a serious question but as usual i'm generally out of words when it comes to communicate with people who do artistic work. By the way despite my cheap shot, i'm not a Marsalis hater, there is a part of what he does that i enjoy and another part that i like less...

Edited by Van Basten II