Complete Bud Powell Blue Note/Roost and Verve

BeBop

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the artwork of the original ESP albums was inspired by those Raymond Ross photographies done during Bud´s last studio session (probably early 1966). Some of those photos are in the booklet of the CD-reissue of Bud´s last album "Ups ´n Downs", with people in the studio (Stollmann, the musicians Rashied Ali and Scott Holt, and even Dizzy who was in the studio.....)

So they all sat together in caves, some had their heads attached to dog's bodies ... and then they did some fishy sliding? :crazy:

I don't like those four (CD?) covers - some clichéd way to depict "primitive", that's the first thought I have whenever I see them pop up.

• 6 months later...

The Verve box has now been given a budget reissue in the EU.

£16.13 for 5 discs at Amazon UK.

Much good music but also considerable chaff amongst the wheat. This set is a warts and more warts approach to Bud. It needed braver editorial decisions. Sometimes less really is more.

Just got round to listening to this. I know that by chaff Clunky meant substandard music but for me this is one time when a set has been completely ruined by studio babble at the start or end of almost every track. It's impossible to get involved in the playing when you know "take one, speed" or similar will be droned afterwards. So glad I didn't pay big money for this back when it was originally released.