World's Scariest Runways

http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows...cariest-runways

I still can't get over this landing approach in St. Maarten in the eastern Caribbean.

princess-juliana-international-airport-200804-ss.jpg

Princess Juliana International Airport

St. Maarten

Who Flies There: All major U.S. airlines, as well as Paris-based charter carrier Corsairfly, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, and a handful of regional operators.

Why It’s Harrowing: The length of the runway—just 7,152 feet—is perfectly fine for small or medium-size jets, but as the second-busiest airport in the Eastern Caribbean, it regularly welcomes so-called heavies—long-haul wide-body jetliners like Boeing 747’s and Airbus A340’s—from Europe, which fly in improbably low over Maho Beach and skim just over the perimeter fence.

It seems like it must be a photoshop creation - what normal person could relax on such a beach?

The one in Gibraltar is also a trip - the airport/runway actually divides the country of Spain from Gibraltar, and you can literally walk/drive across it if you're going into Gibraltar.

gibraltar-airport-200804-ss.jpg

Edit - A better picture of the airport, with the road bisecting the runway:

gibraltarrunway.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

The one in Gibraltar is also a trip - the airport/runway actually divides the country of Spain from Gibraltar, and you can literally walk/drive across it if you're going into Gibraltar.

gibraltar-airport-200804-ss.jpg

Edit - A better picture of the airport, with the road bisecting the runway:

gibraltarrunway.jpg

Yep, I went there, it's like being in that movie with Bruce Willis: Die Hard 2. :excited:

Doesn't compare to the St. Maarten one above, but when we flew into the San Diego airport a few years ago we seemed to be coming in right downtown. I couldn't get over it! I'm used to airports being at least a few miles OUTside the city. The San Diego airport made Logan seem like the new Denver airport. (Speaking of which, at the OLD Denver airport you used to have runways that ran right over highways like bridges! One day my wife and I were driving out there and a jet was moving on the runway above us just as we drove under the runway. Nothing quite reminds you of just how big modern passenger jets are than driving underneath one.)

Doesn't compare to the St. Maarten one above, but when we flew into the San Diego airport a few years ago we seemed to be coming in right downtown. I couldn't get over it! I'm used to airports being at least a few miles OUTside the city. The San Diego airport made Logan seem like the new Denver airport.

San Diego's a trip! Arriving, you come over a hillside, and it seems like you're only a few feet off the ground the whole time you're descending. Can almost look out into people's apartment windows that are eye level with you, and you're still moving forward and down.

It seems like it must be a photoshop creation - what normal person could relax on such a beach?

It's real!

I have been to St. Maarten and when you take off they warn you that the plane will make a dramatic bank to the right ,

because of a mountain ( maybe large hill) on the island .

The island sucks by the way ...they ripped off my walkman in the room and we went down to investigate at the front desk

Conveniently they could not speak English.( they spoke very good English at the check in ) and even better English when we checked out and they needed more Dinero !

Speaking of which, at the OLD Denver airport you used to have runways that ran right over highways like bridges! One day my wife and I were driving out there and a jet was moving on the runway above us just as we drove under the runway. Nothing quite reminds you of just how big modern passenger jets are than driving underneath one.

When they are using the western approach to Fort Lauderdale, they do the same thing over I-95. I remember the first time I was in the area while a plane was landing - it looked like the plane was literally rolling across the highway. A while back they built up the divider between north and southbound lanes because too many people would follow the plane onto the runway instead of watching the road.

Once I got stuck in traffic on the way to the old Lipton International tennis tournament, so I had my camera with me and got some great pictures. But this was before digital cameras so I only have the prints, no digital copies. Maybe if I can find them I'll scan a couple.

edit to say: Oops, I misunderstood what you wrote, Bruce. :blush::unsure:

But the last I heard, I think they were planning a similar method to expand the Fort Lauderdale airport in the opposite direction from I-95. The airport is hemmed in by Federal Highway on the east and I think they plan to build that sort of underpass to extend one runway, or build a third, or something ...

Edited by Dan Gould

I'm not surprised JFK made the list. I always get an aisle seat so I never see what's coming.

jfk-canarsie-approach-200804-ss.jpg

Who Flies There: All major U.S., European, and Asian airlines.

Why It’s Harrowing: Parkway Visual—a.k.a. the Canarsie Approach—is the especially daunting flyway here, since pilots have to avoid interfering with flights into New York’s two other close-by airports, LaGuardia and Newark. Set up in 1964 as a noise-abatement measure to pacify angry residents, this approach forces pilots to have a reported 1,500-foot ceiling and a five-mile visibility for their circular approach before lining up with runway 13L, with the threatening waters of Jamaica Bay beckoning at the runway’s end.

It's real!

Being that close to large aircraft is fascinating to me. My equipment yard and office in Phoenix is under the early morning approach pattern. It's cool at 5:00 am to see them go over. But it's nothing like the shit in that video.

Doesn't compare to the St. Maarten one above, but when we flew into the San Diego airport a few years ago we seemed to be coming in right downtown. I couldn't get over it! I'm used to airports being at least a few miles OUTside the city. The San Diego airport made Logan seem like the new Denver airport.

San Diego's a trip! Arriving, you come over a hillside, and it seems like you're only a few feet off the ground the whole time you're descending. Can almost look out into people's apartment windows that are eye level with you, and you're still moving forward and down.

Yes! Exactly! I saw the cooking grills on some apartment terraces, I swear. It was almost too weird to be scary though.

Yep, I went there, it's like being in that movie with Bruce Willis: Die Hard 2. :excited:

Seen it, done it too.

With a HM Government flight ! (no - not a 'rendition') :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

Our own San Francisco International has two runways that stick out a ways into the bay. So what, you say? Well, they run parallel and right next to each other. A rather frightening setup, I always thought.

They also like to land the planes side-by-side on them. I've seen it many times from the freeway.