Blindfold Test #3 // ANSWERS...

Jim R

I wonder if that "Live At Bubba's" session with Lockjaw Davis is available?

Six tracks (sonny's blues,old folks,lax,yesterdays,what's new,four) were released under Sonny Stitt's name on the Jazz Time label. I'm not sure whether the CD is currently in print or not. The title is "Sonny's Blues" (catalog # 8158). I'd try a Google search- you may turn up a copy someplace, even if it's OOP.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also out on the Who's Who in Jazz label, CD-21022, under the title Sonny, Sweets & Jaws; and strangely enough, the titles are Lady Be Good, What's New, There is No Greater Love, The Chief, Can't Get Started and Lester Leaps In. So I guess you need at least both releases to get all of the material ...

Thanks for the disc Jim (I've got here eventually).

I didnt know any of the tracks !

The Lee Morgan track i thought may have been miles (I was worried about being caught out by another Miles track i didn't know like on BF 1 - very humbling)

Track 6 i was convinced i knew & had somewhere in the collection - but no, when i checked the answers i didnt even recognise the artist's or the track's name!

Theres some nice tunes on the disc and i shall be listening to it more in the future.

• 1 year later...

Many MANY thanks to Jim R for making a copy of this disc for me, some 14 months after the actual BFT!

I already knew the answers from looking at this thread (heck, it's the reason I wanted my own copy!), but wanted to share some random comments about some of the various tunes:

Track 1 I already knew because I have the CD. A lovely CD at that! Great way to kick off a BFT!

Track 2 I would’ve guessed as a Milt Jackson group from the mid-60’s with Cedar Walton on piano. I’m not too familiar with Lem Winchester, but if the rest of the album is as nice as this one track, I needs to pick this up pronto! PLEASE tell me this one is still in print!

Track 3 would’ve had me COMPLETELY fooled! I would’ve been all set to guess a Miles Davis Seven Steps-era band. I mean, that rhythm section sounded EXACTLY like the great Kelly-Chambers-Cobb trio! I might have gotten Shorter, but I doubt it. Can’t believe I didn’t recognize my very favorite drummer, Art Blakey!

Track 4 was nice. Wouldn’t’ve had a clue.

Track 5 would’ve also had me buffaloed. Might’ve guessed the Kelly-Chambers-Cobb trio as the rhythm section after the arco solo, but then that would’ve just confused me more when compared to track 3! :wacko:

Track 6 was nice. Heck, knowing Jim, I might’ve even guessed Higgins, but would not have known the source of the recording, since the only one I’m familiar with is the version from Speaking of Jobim.

Track 7 was okay, but I lost interest about halfway through. I must be one of the few people on the planet who doesn’t get Ed Bickert!

Track 8 was also very nice. Wouldn’t’ve had a clue on this one, either.

Track 9 same as track 8!

Track 10 was cool! Would not have guessed Kessel, and also would’ve wished for a good percussion section!

Track 11 same as track 9!

Track 12 I liiiiiiiked!!!!! Would’ve had no clue, as usual, but I am hoping this isn’t OOP!!!

Track 13 was okay. Maybe I’m just not in the mood for guitarists right now. (Jim? Jim? You okay? Sorry to make you collapse like that! It’ll never happen again, I promise!)

Track 14 made me run screaming from the room!!!!! This was worse than that version of “Someone to Light Up My Life” from BFT 15 or 16 (don’t remember exactly!) :g

Track 15 was very nice, and I might’ve even guessed Big Dex on soprano there. This only reminds me that I need to get this CD soon!

Track 16 same as track 11!

So hopefully a few of these discs are still in-print. If not, then I’ll just have to pester Jim for copies of ‘em! :P

Edited by Big Al

You GOT it!! :excited: Great- I was beginning to wonder if you needed to frisk your mailman (or better yet, mailwoman! :wub: ). Anyway, I had my moment in the brilliant glare of the BFT spotlight, so I think I'll e you about this. Watch your mailbox...

... not YET! Gimme a few minutes! :rolleyes::g

Track 2 I would?ve guessed as a Milt Jackson group from the mid-60?s with Cedar Walton on piano. I?m not too familiar with Lem Winchester, but if the rest of the album is as nice as this one track, I needs to pick this up pronto! PLEASE tell me this one is still in print!

All Prestige session Lem Winchester participated are available as OJC CDs (or on Prestige twofers CDs). You can find his discography here.