2008-2009 Hot Stove Thread

tkeith

It will be interesting to see if Boston extends Jason Bay's contract. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that the Red Sox want long term, he's a decent player, but i would not be surprised if they let him go at the end of the season and look for a big right-handed bat in the free agent market after the season. Maybe even trade him during the season.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be interesting to see if Boston extends Jason Bay's contract. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that the Red Sox want long term, he's a decent player, but i would not be surprised if they let him go at the end of the season and look for a big right-handed bat in the free agent market after the season. Maybe even trade him during the season.

Actually they pursued re-signing him very seriously and I think they'll keep him if possible. But the way the market for corner outfielders collapsed, I am sure they offered him a reduced salary while he doesn't want to sign when the market is so bad, so they mutually agreed to wait. But their interest is genuine, as he does everything well, except maybe miss the outside curveball too often. I'd much rather have him than over pay for Holliday. And there is no way they trade him during the season unless the Tigers make Migglio available and they need a spot for him.

Astros have signed Pudge Rodriguez, apparently.

Good or bad move? I'm not up on Pudge.

Pudge is having a great WBC, so his stock is up right now. Probably be good over a season, could play 120 games as catcher and be decent. I would have thought he'd wind up in the AL though, good catcher and could DH if needed. Speaking of the WBC, I see where Matt Lindstrom (he of nailing a Dutch batter after giving up a homerun fame) and Ryan Braun have left the USA team because of injuries. I'm starting to lean toward the "having no WBC" camp, just too early to have games that are supposed to be meaningful.

I like Pudge, but man, the Astros are 1-14 this spring. He must really want to play, cause it looks like it might be a long-ass season in Houston.

He can think of a million and a half reasons. :) The more sensible players understand that they're unlikely to have earned income that high again ever again. The less sensible players have crazy ass mansion mortgage payments to make. Not sure where Pudge stands, but at least several years ago the guy had a statue of himself at his home. :beee:

I have to say, I was caught off guard with the Pudge signing....why's that??? Oh yes, now I remember....way back in the A.M. hours of the 16th, I saw this on mlbtraderumors.com

Astros: Richard Justice thinks the team should try to sign Pudge and Pedro Martinez for less than $5MM total. MLB.com's Alyson Footer on Friday: "After checking with Ed Wade yet again today, I can assure you the Astros are not pursuing him. And judging from the irritated look on his face, I can also assure you I won't be asking him about Pudge again anytime soon." SI.com's Jon Heyman mentioned Houston in his Friday Pudge column.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/03/ivan-rodrigue-1.html

At least they broke their weird love affair with Brad Ausmus.

No kidding! I think Ausmus was catching for Mike Scott & Nolan Ryan back in the 80's! :lol:

Well, no. But in defense of the aging Ivy leaguer, in his first AB this spring, he doubled. In his second at bat, he singled and stole second off Geovanny Soto. He's going to make a solid back up for Russell Martin.

No kidding! I think Ausmus was catching for Mike Scott & Nolan Ryan back in the 80's! :lol:

Well, no. But in defense of the aging Ivy leaguer, in his first AB this spring, he doubled. In his second at bat, he singled and stole second off Geovanny Soto. He's going to make a solid back up for Russell Martin.

I have a baseball that i got signed by Scott, Ryan, and catcher Alan Ashby (and a slew of teammates - Billy Hatcher, Glenn Davis, Bill Doran, Charlie Kerfeld, even Hal Lanier signed it for me), so I know he wasn't around back then - was just playin'. Unfortunately the ball was used and well worn, because I wasn't expecting to get down on the field that day.

Its a strained lower abdominal not an oblique and it was done while swinging during a soft toss drill. I don't think this can be blamed on the WBC.

Last night Lou Merloni said that the abdominal strain is tied into the oblique. He said he was very concerned with this

injury and until he sees Pedroia play a few games he will be very nervous about this injury.

I don't know any thing about muscle groups but Merloni seemed very wary of this injury.

It also seems that Bay wants to test the free agent market ,this is not really good news.

I have a baseball that i got signed by Scott, Ryan, and catcher Alan Ashby (and a slew of teammates - Billy Hatcher, Glenn Davis, Bill Doran, Charlie Kerfeld, even Hal Lanier signed it for me), so I know he wasn't around back then - was just playin'. Unfortunately the ball was used and well worn, because I wasn't expecting to get down on the field that day.

Knew you were being sarcastic, but you were doing so with guys who were playing while I was in high school, so I had to speak up. ;)

Its a strained lower abdominal not an oblique and it was done while swinging during a soft toss drill. I don't think this can be blamed on the WBC.

Last night Lou Merloni said that the abdominal strain is tied into the oblique. He said he was very concerned with this

injury and until he sees Pedroia play a few games he will be very nervous about this injury.

I don't know any thing about muscle groups but Merloni seemed very wary of this injury.

It also seems that Bay wants to test the free agent market ,this is not really good news.

He took groundballs today; he's going to take batting practice Thursday and play Saturday. Merloni is the only person who has implied this is serious or even comparable to an oblique (which is adjacent and notoriously more difficult to rehab).

As for Bay, he's free to test the free agent market, after a season in which there is a 15 - 20% decline in attendance, does he expect that the market will be better than it is now, or it will be demonstrably worse or at best, the same? The only problem I see is that Theo is likely to stick closely with the established market even though he could very well give him a slightly larger offer and re-sign him. I could see Theo nickle and diming him so that another team could get him.

OTOH, its also possible that the Yankees will go after Bay since Nady and Damon will both be free agents, so perhaps Bay wants to see if the Yankees bid up the price. That would make free agency worthwhile, even in this market.

Probably folks are just trying to erase the image from the Details photo shoot outta their brain, but I thought some here might want to use this as an avatar. :lol:

post-377-1237339936_thumb.jpg

Bad enough that this was on the front page of the NY Post today(and I'm a Yank fan), but even here? I'm so sick of: A-Fraud, A-Roid, A-Rod. He's a tremendously talented player with a tremendously screwed-up head who also has IMHO the worst contract ever in baseball. $27 mil a year when he's 38 and with about 4 years to go after that?! It makes me wanna barf. My 16 year old son's prediction may come true about 'the curse of A-Rod'- the Yanks won't win a WS until after he's gone. Rant over.

We all know about beer goggles but did anyone know that they can explain signing with the Nationals?

http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/03/tavarez-signs-w.html

The Washington Nationals offered ex-Red Sox pitcher Julian Tavárez a contract in November, but he turned it down.

Fast-forward to mid-March and Tavárez, still unemployed, ends up signing with the Nationals.

He explains:

"Why did I sign with the Nationals? When you go to a club at 4 in the morning, and you're just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J-Lo. And to me this is Jennifer Lopez right here. It's 4 in the morning. Too much to drink. So, Nationals: Jennifer Lopez to me."

I'm not a big fan of the WBC, but I sure was tonight. USA's 9th-inning comeback against Puerto Rico was riveting. Every at-bat in the bottom of the ninth was just great, none better than Wright's, which resulted in an opposite-field drive to bring in the tying and winning runs. Great game.

Interesting news that the Red Sox released Josh Bard, making it apparent that George Katteras, who had been identified as a potential Varitek replacement several seasons ago, is the odds on favorite to be the back up. He was out of options, so sneaking him through waivers was going to be tough. He's got a fairly decent bat with some pop (22 homers) and he does hit lefty, where Varitek struggles so badly.

I'm actually glad to see him have a shot at the majors.

:angry::blink::unsure:

I watched the eighth inning and then had to turn it off, I figured they were done as they looked pretty listless.

Yes, from what I've seen of these games they've been a little uneven. ... Which points to one of the main objections to this tournament: players are still just getting their skills sharpened again and can't be expected to perform at anything close to peak levels at this time of year, IMO. That, and the danger of injury, which we've already seen happen. Plus some guys just not getting the playing time they need to get ready for the season.

But, as a viewer, I could really sense these guys were locked in at a whole different level in that ninth inning. Course, it helped that Ramero fell apart a little bit and then Cabrera walked in a run with the bases loaded. A great comeback nonetheless and I sure hope they can build on this.

This may be a little sacrilege but, it was just kinda nice to see Jeter and Youk jumping up and down like kids together with the rest of the mob chasing Wright. They were genuinely excited.

img11515268.jpg

(almost as excited as A-Rod apparently gets when he looks in the mirror) :blink:

Edited by papsrus

Now Youk has sprained his ankle so BAD that he can't walk ...Thank You WBC.

Playing Championship quality baseball in March is asinine .......really this needs to be looked at

more closely.

He going for an MRI tomorrow !

I assume the other nations are still playing in their leagues in November and December??? Otherwise it would seem to make more sense to do this that time of year.

Hey, do you have a Lizabeth Scott cd, or just a Lizabeth Scott Avatar??? I nearly bought a cd of hers...if you have it, do you like it???