2008-2009 Hot Stove Thread

tkeith

You left out No, No, No, NO! and HELL TO THE NO!!!! When they DNA sample to prove that the bloody sock was nail polish, we'll see how much of a McGuire Effect he experiences.

I never ever hinted at that, I just never liked the way he talked negatively about his teammates to the press or his politics. Except for winning a big post season game now and then he never seemed like a guy I would want on my team. If character means something to get in the HOF as others on here say it does then being a good teammate should go into consideration.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack Morris fans need to deal with the Dave Steib crowd before they bitch if Schilling makes it. :g

Dave Steib was great in his day, too bad the expansion Blue Jays were not. He was a favorite of mine growing up because I always felt sorry for him.

Edited by WorldB3

I know spring training doesn't mean anything, a lot of their players were on WBC teams, and spring training doesn't mean anything, but the Yankees look bad. I don't see how they're going to challenge Boston & Tampa Bay.

Maybe it's time they took a good look at themselves in the mirror. ... :cool:

C'mon! ... That was funny! :excited: .... a little. ... creepy, too, I guess ... but still funny!

detailsfeatures1h.jpg

FWIW, Wakefield looks sharp against the Yankees and George Katteras looks quite comfortable catching him. I think he'll do fine as Wake's caddy, which would allow the Sox to bide their time and either see how their catching prospects develop or wait for Texas/Arizona's price to come down (because asking for Buchholz or Bard for Salty or Montero is a non-starter, especially given the way they've both pitched this spring).

Can anyone do anything in this friggin' country without somebody throwing a conniption? Does baseball really have an obligation to check every religion's calendar? I don't recall the Catholics recognizing the issue of playoff games on Yom Kippur.

Off topic, but I saw an article about a college pitcher who throws 103 mph, and was disappointed that the author made no mention of the legendary Baltimore farmhand Steve Dalkowski.

I meant to bring up Stephen Strasburg before....sounds like if he can stay healthy, he will be something special! Here is something I wrote about him a few days ago on a braves blog...

They were just talking about Stephen Strasburg on baseball tonight. A scout not given to hyperbole told Buster Olney that he is the best pitching prospect….ever! And it’s not even close! Someone else told him that he could go right to the big leagues, and be a number 2, now! Better than AJ Burnett is now!!! Of course, Satan is his "advisor" Still, I want to see this kid pitch in the bigs this year! Nationals have the first pick .

A recent story, then one from last year… I guess I heard wrong, not just the best pitching prospect, but best prospect, period!!! 92 to 94 MPH slider??? 102 MPH fastball WITH movement???? Hope he doesn’t blow his arm out!!!!!

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2009/03/12/000518.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8081303424.html

Edited by BERIGAN

Off topic, but I saw an article about a college pitcher who throws 103 mph, and was disappointed that the author made no mention of the legendary Baltimore farmhand Steve Dalkowski.

Psst, TD... he did!, 6 paragraphs from the bottom. ;)

The pitcher widely acknowledged to have thrown harder than anyone in modern baseball history, Steve Dalkowski, never made it to the big leagues because of wildness.

Edited by BERIGAN

After seeing the Bombers twice this week, reports of their demise (including my own) seem incredibly premature. I can't help but cite the return of The Captain as one of the key reasons for the turn in their performance.

By the way, speaking of young guys throwing heat, I haven't heard mention of Sidd Finch!

pissingcontest.gif

emot-can.gif

:D

After seeing the Bombers twice this week, reports of their demise (including my own) seem incredibly premature. I can't help but cite the return of The Captain as one of the key reasons for the turn in their performance.

By the way, speaking of young guys throwing heat, I haven't heard mention of Sidd Finch!

pissingcontest.gif

emot-can.gif

:D

I was listening to the Baseball Today Pod Cast this morning, (great pod casts btw) and Eric Karabell and Peter Pascarelli are calling in 1. Tampa Bay 2. Boston 3. Yankees with 89 wins. Of course Pascarelli "doesn't like anyone."

Pedro is waiting for someone to call, still firm on his demand for 5 million a year.

He's waiting for someone to call just like Gary Sheffield, who was released by the Tigers today. I doubt that has ever happened before - someone sitting one home run away from a milestone (500, in Sheffield's case) being released in March. I know Sheffield wasn't hitting much (under the Mendoza line this spring) but 5 of 8 hits were home runs, so he must be able to crush mistakes still. I have to say I am a little surprised at this move, since Detroit is still on the hook for his salary. They did trade for an outfielder from Atlanta - maybe this new guy is out of options and has to be on the major league roster?

Pedro is waiting for someone to call, still firm on his demand for 5 million a year.

He's waiting for someone to call just like Gary Sheffield, who was released by the Tigers today. I doubt that has ever happened before - someone sitting one home run away from a milestone (500, in Sheffield's case) being released in March. I know Sheffield wasn't hitting much (under the Mendoza line this spring) but 5 of 8 hits were home runs, so he must be able to crush mistakes still. I have to say I am a little surprised at this move, since Detroit is still on the hook for his salary. They did trade for an outfielder from Atlanta - maybe this new guy is out of options and has to be on the major league roster?

WOW, maybe the Sox pick up Sheffield ??????....they still don't really have a big right handed hitter coming off the bench.

unless you think Rocco can do that ?

The question is how low will Pedro go? 2 million, 1 million or will he just walk away with something left to give if he doesn't feel he is getting what he is worth. There are teams that need him but not at that salary.

The Tigers are in for a long year, not surprised they got rid of Sheff.

Another week of exhibition games, start the damn season already!

Its two years (at least) late on Sheffield. Granted he'd be cheap, since they'd only pay the major league minimum but how do you fit him on the roster as a second guy who can't play in the field? If Papi went down or just can't hit for power anymore, then I could see it, but there's no way to have him on the roster otherwise.

I'd much rather wait, see what we have offensively and what certain teams like the Tigers do in this economic disaster. I'd give up some youngsters (and Lowell) if they put Miguel Cabrera on the block, or Magglio Ordonez, for that matter, though fitting an outfielder in might be tough.

Hopefully they've got enough offense this season if the pitching is as good as it can be. But if its lacking or they think they need a bat for the long-term, I could see Cabrera in their sites.

But no Sheffield!

Everyone figures Varitek to be cooked, offensively at least, but I am almost beginning to get a little optimistic that his simplification of his left-handed batting stance might actually lead to some positive results. He hit his fourth home run of the spring today, and all have come from the left side. If Varitek has a slight bounce-back year and isn't the black hole he was last year, the offense gets much better.

Gotta get a (long-winded) pre-season post in here about the Tribe (…been much more focused on the Cleveland basketball team, for obvious reasons). Right now, I’m not too optimistic about the Cleveland baseball team. They made two good free agent signings, Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa. Wood obviously has injury risk, but should be the knockdown closer that has been missing for way too long. DeRosa should be decent with the bat, and a substantial upgrade over Casey Blake at third.

The rotation, now that CC is wearing pinstripes?? Cliff Lee will come back to earth (hopefully this means something like 14-18 wins, not 6). Fausto Carmona has looked good, hopefully will resemble ’07 instead of ’08. The third starter is Carl Pavano. That’s right, the third starter is a reclamation project more modest than the Kevin Millwood one of a few years back. [This isn’t even Paul Byrd in the fifth slot.] The last two slots are younguns Scott Lewis (who was impressive in some meaningless September starts) and Anthony Reyes (recovered from injury). So the starting pitching looks to be pretty mediocre unless two out of Pavano/Lewis/Reyes overachieve. Good news is that Jake Westbrook looks like he should be back by midseason. Jake is likely the only significant midseason addition.

Wood substantially improves the bullpen all by himself, but they also added sidewinder Joe Smith (…not the reserve center playing so well for the Cavs). A situational guy? Rafael Perez and Jensen Lewis set up and look solid. Rafael Betancourt and Masa Kobayashi (who probably will get cut this year) appear earlier. Starter Zach Jackson is super long relief when Pavano/Lewis/Reyes get shelled early.

Not much change to the rest of the team, though the starting lineup will include two young corner outfielders: Shin-Soo Choo and Ben Francisco. Not thrilled that an injured Choo played so many games (as a DH) for Korea in the WBC. Francisco has shown some flashes, but this could be Franklin Gutierrez all over again—so much promise, so little production. Ryan Garko has lost some weight and may see time in the OF (yikes!). Hafner is supposedly recovered from shoulder surgery—I’m cautiously optimistic. Garko/Hafner/Victor Martinez/Shoppach will cover C/1B/DH most games. Peralta is still the shortstop even though he has no range and Asdrubal Cabrera is excellent at short. Josh Barfield, who still can’t hit a lick in the AL somehow made the squad [he must have some interesting photos of Mark Shapiro and/or Eric Wedge with …]. But then maybe he will turn into Otis Nixon—a guy who made the Tribe only because he could run, and then learned to hit a little bit and had a useful career.

And the David Dellucci era in Cleveland has only one more season left (and he starts it on the DL)!

Fortunately, the Tribe plays in the Central. They have a chance to make some noise, but my expectations are modest. I am looking forward to the season, but probably won’t be hanging on every pitch in April and early May.

Gotta get a (long-winded) pre-season post in here about the Tribe (…been much more focused on the Cleveland basketball team, for obvious reasons). Right now, I’m not too optimistic about the Cleveland baseball team. They made two good free agent signings, Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa. Wood obviously has injury risk, but should be the knockdown closer that has been missing for way too long. DeRosa should be decent with the bat, and a substantial upgrade over Casey Blake at third.

The rotation, now that CC is wearing pinstripes?? Cliff Lee will come back to earth (hopefully this means something like 14-18 wins, not 6). Fausto Carmona has looked good, hopefully will resemble ’07 instead of ’08. The third starter is Carl Pavano. That’s right, the third starter is a reclamation project more modest than the Kevin Millwood one of a few years back. [This isn’t even Paul Byrd in the fifth slot.] The last two slots are younguns Scott Lewis (who was impressive in some meaningless September starts) and Anthony Reyes (recovered from injury). So the starting pitching looks to be pretty mediocre unless two out of Pavano/Lewis/Reyes overachieve. Good news is that Jake Westbrook looks like he should be back by midseason. Jake is likely the only significant midseason addition.

Wood substantially improves the bullpen all by himself, but they also added sidewinder Joe Smith (…not the reserve center playing so well for the Cavs). A situational guy? Rafael Perez and Jensen Lewis set up and look solid. Rafael Betancourt and Masa Kobayashi (who probably will get cut this year) appear earlier. Starter Zach Jackson is super long relief when Pavano/Lewis/Reyes get shelled early.

Not much change to the rest of the team, though the starting lineup will include two young corner outfielders: Shin-Soo Choo and Ben Francisco. Not thrilled that an injured Choo played so many games (as a DH) for Korea in the WBC. Francisco has shown some flashes, but this could be Franklin Gutierrez all over again—so much promise, so little production. Ryan Garko has lost some weight and may see time in the OF (yikes!). Hafner is supposedly recovered from shoulder surgery—I’m cautiously optimistic. Garko/Hafner/Victor Martinez/Shoppach will cover C/1B/DH most games. Peralta is still the shortstop even though he has no range and Asdrubal Cabrera is excellent at short. Josh Barfield, who still can’t hit a lick in the AL somehow made the squad [he must have some interesting photos of Mark Shapiro and/or Eric Wedge with …]. But then maybe he will turn into Otis Nixon—a guy who made the Tribe only because he could run, and then learned to hit a little bit and had a useful career.

And the David Dellucci era in Cleveland has only one more season left (and he starts it on the DL)!

Fortunately, the Tribe plays in the Central. They have a chance to make some noise, but my expectations are modest. I am looking forward to the season, but probably won’t be hanging on every pitch in April and early May.

David Dellucci is my cousin , on my Moms side.