Rivers/Hill - INVOLUTIONS

Brandon Burke

Doesn't it seem like it's about time for this thing to see the light of day on CD? Listening to the Involution 2-fer LP right now (for the first time in ages) and I'm really enjoying it. The Hill session anyways.....

EDIT: I guess I goofed on the title in the thread name. Oh well.....

Edited by Brandon Burke

Involution is a great Andrew Hill session. In fact, when there was a poll (one of the zillion, ;)) on "What is your favorite Andrew Hill session?" I think I was the only one who voted for this recording. Both Hill and Rivers are in top form, but it's the rhythm section that really makes it for me. Walter Booker sounds unusually serpentine, and J.C. Moses mixes it up unlike any other drummers did when working with/for Hill. Something in me is also attracted to the tune titles — simple, yet poignant. Hell, Mike Weil has already created cover art for this one ... let's see its reissue as a single disc! (Standard note: It was part of the Mosaic, blah blah blah.)

Yeah, I understand the Mosaic thing (it's a legitimate point) but I don't usually fork out for those things. I'm still in grad school so $150 means a lot to me. A funny point because I bought the Moncur select set on principal alone since I owned all of it on LP already. Grachan means that much to me. Regardless, one of my favorite session by either Rivers or Hill.....

Edited by Brandon Burke

1) This session is really 'off the hook'. I don't think I've ever even gotten close to 'getting' this date, but I do dig trying!!!! Very intense music, from all parties. Probably the one session from the Hill Mosaic that I've listened to the least (after 'Smokestack').

2) A big shout-out and thanks - to Brandon - for staring another Andrew Hill thread. As many of you know, I really don't think we can have nearly enough of them on this board. :P

Hell, Mike Weil has already created cover art for this one ... let's see its reissue as a single disc!

humm, actually, that was me...

I agree it would be nice to have this as a single disk. But also that it is a very unlikely candidate to get issued ...

glad you like the cover! I made a CDr of the album (a good soul on this board provided me with high Q mp3s) and it needed a cover. As the original title of Involution actually stems from the Rivers date issued as Dimensions & Extensions, I thought it needed a new title. I couldn't really take a pick among the song titles and it seemed appropriate to share leader credit between the two principal players. So the title became Andrew Hill - Sam Rivers.

Here's the big version so you can make your own print out.

Send me a PM if you want a spiffy ready to print & cut out MSWord doc featuring a new&improved back tray inlay w/ text on the spine

Edited by couw

Hell, Mike Weil has already created cover art for this one ... let's see its reissue as a single disc!

humm, actually, that was me...

John, I only read this now, or I would have given you credit ... and I now use the animated Mobley Flip, I dig it so much .... (you read me all? couw did it!!!)

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...