Winter Is Here...

Cities like Buffalo can end up with a hundred inches + of snow per year due to lake effect storms.

Biggest snow dumps I ever saw in my life were in that general area. Toronto down to Buffalo and Detroit. Only time I have had to dig my car out of a ditch.

Oh - hang on, there was another time. The Donner Pass. :alien:

Hope you brought a snack..... :unsure:

Wise to always have something on...er...hand.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had snow (including today) for about two weeks now. We barely had a 'fall' this year.

My parents just hi-tailed it out of there this morning. I checked the road conditions for them before they left and looks like they're safe if they take it slow. I'm not crazy about them making the drive but they insisted and would not allow me to come get them.

Its been a goofy fall. This morning we were getting pounded and everything was covered in a thick blanket of snow, and now everything's practically melted. Gotta love Ohio weather. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Yeah, I was planning on somewhere around Portland or just in that coastal range.

It's a big crazy state Oregon - something for just about everyone. :)

I hear ya! I spent a few weeks out there about 5 years ago, and fell in love with the place, particularly the Eugene area. Its been my goal to move out there ever since, and Im hoping to make that come true in the next year.

Eugene eh? :) Yes, I rather like it too. Came here 22 years (from IL, though a different stop on the CB&Q than you) ago for grad school and decided to stick around.

Tough place to find employment - having an in at the university or a government agency helps as they seem to be the only ones who don't lay people off. But what you don't get in $ is more than made up for in surroundings. Er, not architectural (this is one ugly town buildingwise), but rather in natural beauty in the area.

Feel free to contact me if you need hints about neighborhoods etc., where to buy CDs, and so on when you dream gets closer.

I am debating such a move to Eugene or Portland myself. I will probably send you a PM to get more insight on things.

We've had snow (including today) for about two weeks now. We barely had a 'fall' this year.

My parents just hi-tailed it out of there this morning. I checked the road conditions for them before they left and looks like they're safe if they take it slow. I'm not crazy about them making the drive but they insisted and would not allow me to come get them.

Its been a goofy fall. This morning we were getting pounded and everything was covered in a thick blanket of snow, and now everything's practically melted. Gotta love Ohio weather. :rolleyes:

And now the weather service has just issued a lake-effect snow warning :blink:

I am debating such a move to Eugene or Portland myself. I will probably send you a PM to get more insight on things.

Hopefully, I'll be heading that way myself eventually. I have no interest in staying here in Eastern Oregon. Apparently most people feel the same, seeing how deserted this area is.

Winter rudely invaded (and uninvited) on Sunday in the middle of our fund raiser and has firmly and forcefully established dominance over our domain and likely for the next 4 months or longer.. It looks like it's going to be a long and hard winter here.. :unsure:

Edited by randissimo

Winter rudely invaded (and uninvited) on Sunday in the middle of our fund raiser and has firmly and forcefully established dominance over our domain and likely for the next 4 months or longer.. It looks like it's going to be a long and hard winter here.. :unsure:

Wish there was some good snow here so I could go skiiing. :w

I'm driving home from a gig on the freeway last night in a blizzard and minding my own business when a "pickup truck dumb fuck" comes up behind me driving too damned fast for the weather conditions. I move over to the right lane and he then loses control and takes out my left rear quarter panel and now I'm making a 360 spin on the freeway and luckily getting control of the car before someone else can slam into me, and I pull off on the left median and call 911... This winter is sure getting off on the wrong foot for me.. :blink::(

I'll never forget driving back to Ann Arbor in the December of 2000 during one of the worst snowstorms of that year. You literally could not see the road. I drove by watching the reflectors on the side of the road. I was driving a '96 Intrepid (nice, wide wheel base) and I lost count of how many SUVs and trucks I passed in the ditch.

People can't seem to comprehend that just because you have a truck doesn't mean you're impervious to ice.

I'm glad you're ok, Randy. I drove back from Detroit last night. You know how crazy those fools are on the highway. Luckily it wasn't icy.

So did the dumbass wind up in the ditch or did he keep on driving?

I'll never forget driving back to Ann Arbor in the December of 2000 during one of the worst snowstorms of that year. You literally could not see the road. I drove by watching the reflectors on the side of the road. I was driving a '96 Intrepid (nice, wide wheel base) and I lost count of how many SUVs and trucks I passed in the ditch.

People can't seem to comprehend that just because you have a truck doesn't mean you're impervious to ice.

I'm glad you're ok, Randy. I drove back from Detroit last night. You know how crazy those fools are on the highway. Luckily it wasn't icy.

So did the dumbass wind up in the ditch or did he keep on driving?

He at least was intelligent enough to pull off until the state police arrived and actually came over to see if I was alright.. I told the guy I was ok and that he was driving too fast for the conditions and he said he just hit a slick spot and I said no, you were driving too fast for the weather conditions and should have been driving at everybody else's speed which was about 50 mph. This clown was doing between 60 and 65 and he got the ticket..

At least he got a ticket. "I just hit a slick spot." Right... going too fast, which threw your car out of control. Dumbass.

When we were driving back from your sister's benefit on Sunday we had a lot of people passing us. I feel quite a bit safer in that big ol' Ford E150 conversion van than I do in my little Plymouth minivan. When big semis pass us (and spray all that snow and slush all over the car), it doesn't freak me out near as much in the big van.

Thankfully gas prices are low so it's not such a burden to drive that thing anymore. I filled up for under $45 last night! 28 gallons!

I'm glad you're all right, my brother!

At least he got a ticket. "I just hit a slick spot." Right... going too fast, which threw your car out of control. Dumbass.

When we were driving back from your sister's benefit on Sunday we had a lot of people passing us. I feel quite a bit safer in that big ol' Ford E150 conversion van than I do in my little Plymouth minivan. When big semis pass us (and spray all that snow and slush all over the car), it doesn't freak me out near as much in the big van.

Thankfully gas prices are low so it's not such a burden to drive that thing anymore. I filled up for under $45 last night! 28 gallons!

I'm glad you're all right, my brother!

Thanks Jim..