• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got this in a mail:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/b...bard-in-a-coma/

in short, this seems to be the case here, I assume:

David Weiss Says: December 15th, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I’m sorry but most of this story is not true.

Freddie did not collapse, he was having trouble breathing and was taken by ambulance to Sherman Oaks hospital on Wednesday, November 26. He did have a heart attack. He was unconscious for a couple of days, induced by his doctors who thought the treatment they were giving him would cause him too much pain if he was conscious. He has been awake for around two weeks now. He is still hooked up to breathing apparatus but again is conscious and coherent. He is getting stronger every day but has a ways to go.

I'm a bit ambivalent about much of Hubbard's music (at least his leader albums) and about him as a trumpet player, but there's no denying he's on a ton of great albums (and as a sideman always at least holding his own!). I wish him well, of course!

It occurs to me that the letter "U" is one over from the letter "T".

So let's make "CTI" "CUI".

Now, let's follow this "one over" principal on our new acronym.

"CUI" now becomes "ICU".

So you see, the progression from CTI to ICU has been a logical one based on some very simple, easy to follow principals.

Now, let's look at "ICU" and put the "T" back.

We now have "TCU" (Freddy's not from Fort Worth is he? Didn't think so...)

Now, anybody can see that "C" is really a little more than half of an "O". The object of life being to fulfill it's fullest potential, let's encourage/manifest that and make/most fully realize "TCU" into "TOU".

Again, life is nothing if not a series of events guided by some underlying inevitabilities, in this case, the "one over" principal.

Therefore, it is only fitting that "TOU" becomes "OUT".

Getting OUT of the ICU is therefore inevitable for Freddie, and the sooner the better!

According to John Szwed's biography, Sun Ra thought like that.

Sorry to report that Freddie Hubbard has apparently passed away. I heard this tonight while having dinner with musicians whose sources are to be taken seriously.

Very sad, but he apparently suffered quite a bit since he was hospitalized.

This is absolutely not true. I just spoke to his wife less than an hour ago upon her return from the hospital (which I do almost every day). He's still alive and kicking. Not much change in his condition at this point.

Sorry to report that Freddie Hubbard has apparently passed away. I heard this tonight while having dinner with musicians whose sources are to be taken seriously.

Very sad, but he apparently suffered quite a bit since he was hospitalized.

This is absolutely not true. I just spoke to his wife less than an hour ago upon her return from the hospital (which I do almost every day). He's still alive and kicking. Not much change in his condition at this point.

Thanks David! Please keep us updated! (you may have noticed I quoted your post from that other discussion above, which already set things right)

PS: as you're reading here, allow me (off topic) to mention how much I enjoyed your playing on a recently broadcast show by The Cookers!

Yes - thank you David for updating us.

There's a good lineup of classic Freddie making it's way on the turntable this morning (a nice way to start an Xmas holiday).

'Breaking Point', 'Goin Up' and 'Ready For Freddie' vinyl for starters..

The 'Jazz Review' magazine this month also has an excellent overview of FH's classic recordings - focussing on the Blue Notes both under his own name and with Hancock, Shorter etc.

I was only reporting what I heard from presumably reliable sources last night. Thank you David for proving them less than reliable, and I apologize for the misinformation. It is indeed good news that I was wrong, but I am afraid the outlook is not good—hope I'm wrong about that, too.

Valerie, how is deleting my post going to make a difference when others, including you, have perpetuated it?

I was only reporting what I heard from presumably reliable sources last night. Thank you David for proving them less than reliable, and I apologize for the misinformation. It is indeed good news that I was wrong, but I am afraid the outlook is not good—hope I'm wrong about that, too.

Valerie, how is deleting my post going to make a difference when others, including you, have perpetuated it?

of course, i'll delete my post as well.