George Braith

rdavenport

Saw this on Amazon today, looks interesting. All I know of Braith is that he featured in a group of (to me) near-mythical records in the BN cover art book of the mid-90s!

I listened to some clips on Amazon. They were poor quality, but do I hear him playing two saxophones at once?

Anyone help me out with any info? Who is/was he? Anyone have any opinion on whether this disc is worth having?

Edit - just looked closer at the album cover, where he is, in fact, playing two saxophones at once! Plus, I did try and search the forum, but the facility doesn't seem to be working, so apologies if this has been covered before.

post-10785-1229457445_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdavenport

i like these albums too (as you may have noted it's all three albums on two cds)

besides braith and grant green they feature the very interesting organist billy gardner

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...8&hl=braith

guess what should be said is that his music has some sort of quirky/busy quality, can't really put it into words, which might put some people off (in one of the threads there is the quote "Whenever I listen to Mary Ann from Two Souls In One, I always think I'm at the circus. ")... that these albums aren't everybody's cup of tea is more because of this than because of the two saxophones thing i'd say...

two more threads, couldn't find the best one i guess

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...6&hl=braith

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...4&hl=braith

Seaking of...can someone give me more info on this release? I looked around and I found what seems to be his page where he's selling it, but couldn't get the track lineups or anything useful like that:

http://www.emusic.com/album/George-Braith-...d/11333939.html

Yeah, it's a collection of live jams recorded at The University Of The Streets, which I take it is a club he used to own. Pretty good stuff. Note though, that Sonny Rollins' presence is real, but he only plays "pads", meaning that he opens and closed the keys on his horn with enough percussive force to make a sound, the pitch varying accrding to the fingering that he uses. It's "interesting", but far from the most compelling reason to hear the album.

Braith has really grown on me over the years. A very quirky guy musically, but...one with his own vision, which he seems to lack no initiative and ability to make heard. I've become a stone fan, gradually.

I love Braith. He is, I think, the only truly free musician there's ever been - truly doing whatever he wants to do, without being confined by concepts such as style and, as Jim said, having the initiative and skills to get himself heard.

The albums he's been putting out himself over the last few years are, in my view, the best he's ever done, not because they're particularly good (on objective grounds you wouldn't stack them up against his Blue Notes and Prestiges) but because they're particularly Braith-y. He would never have been able to do what he does on these albums of his own, working for a regular record company.

Braith's music is serious fun. But you mustn't take it too seriously, or I think you miss the fun.

MG

The albums he's been putting out himself over the last few years are, in my view, the best he's ever done, not because they're particularly good (on objective grounds you wouldn't stack them up against his Blue Notes and Prestiges) but because they're particularly Braith-y.

The thing he did with his daughters (The Braith Family singers, is how I think he billed them) is the eptiome of this, I think.

For those looking, these self-released Braith albums (the ones on CD Baby) are also available on Aime Street (and FREE for now).

Thanks for point this out. I signed up early with amie st. and they had nothing so I rarely return. It's great the stuff they get from time to time, if you have the patience to check constantly.

The albums he's been putting out himself over the last few years are, in my view, the best he's ever done, not because they're particularly good (on objective grounds you wouldn't stack them up against his Blue Notes and Prestiges) but because they're particularly Braith-y.

The thing he did with his daughters (The Braith Family singers, is how I think he billed them) is the eptiome of this, I think.

His daughter Flame was a well-known background singer during the disco era.

MG

His daughter Flame was a well-known background singer during the disco era.

MG

Wow, never knew that about his daughter Flame! I'm going to talk to George soon. I'll be sure to tell him all the praise about his latests recordings. The thing I love most about George is his complete habitation of the unique harmonic world he invented for himself. One of the things that I think get's lost, because he doesn't feature it all that much...is that he's truely one of the BEST tenor players I've ever heard.

I love those three Braith BN albums. I didn't like them all at first, but I now do. I think the later tracks are better than the very first ones.

Don't miss George's playing on John Patton's "Blue John". I think that's my favorite by him, though I have not heard any of his non BN work. Look for the Japanese issue, if you can find it.

I love those three Braith BN albums. I didn't like them all at first, but I now do. I think the later tracks are better than the very first ones.

Don't miss George's playing on John Patton's "Blue John". I think that's my favorite by him, though I have not heard any of his non BN work. Look for the Japanese issue, if you can find it.

forgot to say i can only second that, think i also like blue john (just a bit) better than the three other bn albums... (though just have the US version) i also have one of his prestige albums, the laughing soul, it's a bit smoother (maybe more commercial) than the bns imho, though still very original... wouldn't say it's better but i did play it a lot, probably more than the others

Yes, indeed. "Blue John" was my first, ear-opening exposure to Braith and it remains a favorite. That 2-disc Braith Conn is wonderful as well.

I have to second the recommendation about Blue John. It is one of my favourite foot tapping recordings featuring both BJP and GB also. I got it on LP and then cd ages ago....well worth a spin...in fact I like it almost as much ( if not more) than Along Came John

It really is a shame that this never got released as I think it is a stronger record than some of the other BJPs from the period...never mind...too late now:(

We can at least enjoy it now