Upcoming Blue Note reissues

Daniel A

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Ghost, I agree "Street of Dreams" is a great record, I meant to say I'd skip it cuz I already have the McMaster SBM from a few years ago. What really got me on the album tho, was the incredible 5/4 take on "Lazy Afternoon"

I'm glad to hear that! :tup I agree with you about the SBM editions; of the ones I own, they all sound good to these ears!

UK members might like to know that HMV has the first batch for a preorder price of £5.99 each delivered: search results.

There is also a £3.99 BN sale here.

Thanks Crisp - it doesn't say how long the sale will last. Do you know?

I might upgrade a few I've got on LP, but I don't want 'em til next month.

And should I get "Sidewinder"? I had it in the sixties, but it seemed like a one-track album, so I ditched it pretty quick. I'm not much of a Lee Morgan fan, anyway...

MG

UK members might like to know that HMV has the first batch for a preorder price of £5.99 each delivered: search results.

No idea, MG. Sorry. ISTR a similar sale last year, so if you pass on this one, there's bound to be another.

No idea, MG. Sorry. ISTR a similar sale last year, so if you pass on this one, there's bound to be another.

Well, I'll take my chances and order them next month (and compare with Amazon UK sellers, before I do). If they're too expensive then, I won't get them. And why is the frame of this window so wide in this thread?

MG

And should I get "Sidewinder"? I had it in the sixties, but it seemed like a one-track album, so I ditched it pretty quick. I'm not much of a Lee Morgan fan, anyway...

MG

Well - you know what my answer to that one will be.. ^_^

A fabulous album, indispensible if you like Morgan. 'Gary's Notebook', 'Hocus Pocus', all great tunes - and a great band with Barry Harris and Joe Henderson. If you don't like 60s Lee Morgan it may be different though.

Play.com also have a sale on, which I think is larger. Their "Monster sale" ends tonight I think but I don't know if this is considered a "monster" sale, although it certainly made a big enough hole in my wallet, boom, boom.

P.S. I think that they include free shipping even outside of the UK and the cds that I've ordered from them have all been copy-control free.

Either I've not been paying attention and all of these have already been posted here, or the source of this information (Swedish online CD store) is just not reliable, but it looks like there's a batch of RVGs coming up for February 11, 2009:

Paul Chambers Quintet

Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

Leo Parker - Rollin' With Leo

Horace Parlan - Up and Down

Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off the Old Block

I think I'll go for that Rollin' With Leo album. I love his sound.

Either I've not been paying attention and all of these have already been posted here, or the source of this information (Swedish online CD store) is just not reliable, but it looks like there's a batch of RVGs coming up for February 11, 2009:

Paul Chambers Quintet

Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

Leo Parker - Rollin' With Leo

Horace Parlan - Up and Down

Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off the Old Block

I think I'll go for that Rollin' With Leo album. I love his sound.

Yeah, me too, especially since I got Let Tell You 'Bout It for Christmas. I remember there was speculation that if this one didn't sell well, then Rolllin' with Leo was doomed for reissue...glad that was proven wrong! :excited:

Yeah, Let Me Tell You 'Bout It really turned me on to him, though I can't remember exactly when I got it. Shortly after it came out, I guess. With only two BN albums it seems churlish not to reissue them both.

Agree. That's also how I feel about the Moncur's, which is nothing short of a miracle that they're available again.

Hmmm.

Check out the sound samples of the following on Amazon:

-Grant's First Stand

-Stop & Listen

While the Willette title is relatively wide stereo, the Green title is collapsed to near mono.

Since Van Gelder stopped exercising his "mono collapse" approach around the year 2000, the US versions have been wider stereo.

My guess is that this new Green "Grant's First Stand" title is simply the same 1998 Japanese RVG master that Van Gelder delivered up to the Japanese market more than a decade ago. I purchased that JRVG in question and like some of the early JRVGs the mono-ization and hypercompression reduced the music to sonic excrement.

Can someone confirm with Cuscuna if Grant's First Stand is a new transfer? Or if they are recycling the crappy early 1998-99 mono Japanese RVG masterings in the domestic series?

monkboughtlunch, I have the '99 McMaster of "Grant's First Stand", listening now after I read your post, it's narrower stereo than most BN's of the era but it's not collapsed mono. I'll keep the version I got which sounds fine IMO

Duly noted. But I did say "near mono" above. I picked up the JRVG in 1999 and quickly dumped it after tracking down the TOJC (sp) version, which was superior to my ears, in spite of being sourced from a second generation tape. Less futzed with than the JRVG.

On another topic, it appears that the RVG of "One Step Beyond" which came out yesterday is AFU. It seems that the last minute of the alternate take of Saturday and Sunday (track 5) is placed at the beginning of Frankenstein (track 2).

Yet another Blue Note boo boo!

That can't be right, that was the problem with the Collector's choice edition from 1995. Blue Note no longer puts the alternate takes after the master take, they are at the end of the disc.

On another topic, it appears that the RVG of "One Step Beyond" which came out yesterday is AFU. It seems that the last minute of the alternate take of Saturday and Sunday (track 5) is placed at the beginning of Frankenstein (track 2).

Yet another Blue Note boo boo!

That can't be right, that was the problem with the Collector's choice edition from 1995. Blue Note no longer puts the alternate takes after the master take, they are at the end of the disc.

The majority of the alternate IS at the end of the disc. It's just that one minute has been lopped off and tacked onto the beginning of track 2. Sorry if I was unclear.