Dexter Gordon & Woody Shaw: Invitation

medjuck

Sound quality is variable from song to song. Some tracks sound like radio broadcasts; could be that that's where all of them originate from. Volume 1: Invitation and Stepping Stone are Woody only, Body & Soul is Dex only, and Green Dolphin Street is both. Volume 2: In Your Own Sweet Way is Woody only, The Panther is Dex only, and A La Modal is both. Dex does some soprano work - nice! Dex announced the band on A La Modal: Woody Shaw, trumpet; Dexter Gordon, soprano sax; Ronnie Matthews, piano; Stafford James, bass; Louis Hayes, drums. Can't beat the price!

Anyway it is more something like a collection from various dates. I would have preferred a whole session with both of them involved. Of course we have "Homecoming" from 1976", but for some reasons I´m not so fond of that album.

Later, both Dexter and Woddy where under contract by Elektra Musician. that´s where Dexter made his last studio recording in 1982. I remember in spring 1983 a new album of Dexter with Woddy Shaw was announced, but for some reasons it never happened. During the same time (1983), Dexter, Woody Shaw and Johnny Griffin played on a concert in Vienna, each with his own group. It was announced that at the end they will perform together, but for reasons I don´t know it didn´t happen. Johnny was first, then Woody with his group with (Mulgrew Miller, Steve Turré ) followed, and then Dexter. After Dexter´s set, it was over...., the Elektra Musician album that was scheduled for spring 1983 didn´t happen and if I remember right, even the label disappeard..

• 1 month later...

'that´s where Dexter made his last studio recording in 1982'.

I do not really agree with this statement. There are two further studio recordings:

1) The music from the film 'Round Midnight was recorded in the studio in Paris in July and August of 1985.

2) He recorded two tracks with Tony Bennett in 1987 - these seem to be his last studio recordings.

Does anyone know when Dexter last performed live? I'm pretty sure he was at Blues Alley in D.C. in the mid-eighties. Sounds like a topic for the new Dexter forum!

Bertrand.

Hello betrand!

Of course I´m aware of the music from "Round Midnight". The tracks where Dexter played are on two albums, one for CBS and the remainders are on BlueNote ("The Other Side of Round Midnight").

As much as I know, Dexter performed at an opus titled "Ellingtones" in NY, it was a compilation of Ellington compositions, with a larger orchestra (even strings if I´m right). But I didn´t see it recorded.

During summer 1986, or 1987, a kind of "Round Midnight Allstars" played at the European festivals, featuring most of the musicians that played on the film. Dexter of course , concering his bad health didn´t play on all the tunes, he usually was brought up on stage after the others had played a few tunes.

It just had become that situation. Obviously, doctors had told him he should rest and just enjoy being there. So it kinda happened that way that somewhere sombody announced "Right Now, Mr. Round Midnight-playing Round Midnight" and the crowd went nuts just for seeing him onstage.

The last thing I read about Dexter playing his sax was on a Jazz-Cruise (with many jazz stars on it). Dexter attended it .....as a tourist, but went as far has playing two tunes at one evening (one of them, as I remember was a very slow "Skylark").

Excerpts of post -Round Midnight Dexter can be seen on a DVD about his live. Dexter is shown on two very short footages from 1986 or 1987, playing but it seems he felt unwell. There´s also an interview with him from 1987 in Nizza I think, but it´s hard to understand what Dexter says, he really looked exhausted and even speeking seemed to be difficult for him.

Well....ok, but.....the question was if somebody knows something about musical activities of Dexter in the period after "Round Midnight" until his death. I tried to answer h e r e as good as I could.

:) don't think he meant your post... you sure didn't fail to impress me... go on!

Edited by Niko

Well....ok, but.....the question was if somebody knows something about musical activities of Dexter in the period after "Round Midnight" until his death. I tried to answer h e r e as good as I could.

I was referring to the initial post/question, which requested discographical information on these sessions. Said info is listed in the thread to which I linked.