Willow Weep for Me

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o'donel levy does a nice jobe with "willow" on this one:

everythinfunky.jpg

So this O'Donnell feller took his inspiration for this album from LEE DORSEY?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sure. Why not? Good title; nice little riff. Not as good, in my view, as "Get out my life woman", which Grasella Oliphant did with Patton & Green & Clark Terry, but good 'nuff.

MG

• 2 weeks later...

I know those aren't "Willow " changes. It has some of the same chords in some of the same order, but that "similarity" does not equal "same".

Tell you what - sing a full chorus of the lyrics of "Willow..." over a chorus of "Taxi". If they are in fact "the same", they should fit together perfectly.

They don't. Not unless you're Darlene Edwards or somebody. :g

For one thing, the second half of the A-sections goes someplace different. Plus, the harmonic sequence of the bridge on Taxi only cycles once. On Willow, it goes twice. That's because the harmonic rhythm for those chances slows down to half of what it would be if it were really Willow form at that tempo.

It might seem like a technicality, but when you call a tune at a session and say something like "It's Willow changes" and then proceed to play something that's "like" Willow changes, doesn't even keep the same form, people might well gonna be pissed...

Maybe the misunderstanding springs from terminology. When a musician says that a tune is "ABC changes" without any qualification, they meant that the changes are the same, the form is the same, that nothing changes except whatever melody you put on top. With "Taxi", we have a tune that is certainly similar/inspired by Willow, but - the form is not the same, and neither are all of the changes.

To a lay person, hey, big deal, probably. And ok, whatever gets you through the night, if ou knwo what I mean. But it's still wrong.

Edited by JSngry

I'm loathe to admit this, but one of my favorite versions is sung by the 60's British twosome, Chad & Jeremy.

P.M. to Bright Moments. I'd remove that picture if you want anyone to read your posts. Once I saw it, I kind of forgot about what's his name...you know, the jazz trumpeter. Who is that gorgeous gal anyway?

Up over and out.

• 1 year later...

I'm loathe to admit this, but one of my favorite versions is sung by the 60's British twosome, Chad & Jeremy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WV99z3Dapc

The Chad & Jeremy was my intro to this song. Luckily, I heard other versions soon afterward.

Wow, I didn't expect anybody else (let alone two people) to mention Chad & Jeremy's version. It was my introduction also, and was the first LP I ever owned (a gift from an older brother). I even remember seeing them on the Patty Duke Show back in the day.

ChadJer-YG.jpg