Does anyone remember....

Hardbopjazz

The alleged Wes/Coltrane tape (1961, Monterey?) has come up for discussion several times before, both at the BNBB and here, I believe. I think Porter lists a reference to it in his bio...45-minute audience recording? I remember somebody saying that they'd been offered a cassette copy of it for the low, low price of $2500. Speculative consensus seems to be that while we'd all like to hear it, it probably would not blow anybody's mind. What mention of the Wes/Trane gigs is there in the updated Coltrane reference book?

Yep, the Dookie thread: "I Am Dookie Coleman!" That was a winner. I wish he'd sign up and enliven the scene here. I actually half-believe his story.

Aggie — I think maybe you're thinking of Joe Albany's daughter? I think she posted either here or on the BNBB. Joe Albany At Home is one I've been spinning lately. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

There is actually a recording of Wes with Trane?

Much as I like them all, I can't really imagine Wes with Trane and Eric Dolphy. What a ridiculous mismatch.

I was thinking about this, and then Lon posted pretty much what I was going to say. You remember how Wes "smoked" on Impressions? I actually think there would be quite a bit of compatibility. Three great soloists, each with their own individual voices, all playing on the same field, if not the same position, yet inspiring one another. I bet Wes would have sounded great with Elvin behind him.