Turrentine/Always something there

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Not sure what you mean, chewy. Up to the end of 1969, BN had 21 LPs on the pop album charts and none of them were "Always something there". Here they are, in the order they hit:

JIMMY SMITH MIDNIGHT SPECIAL

JIMMY SMITH BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK

LOU DONALDSON THE NATURAL SOUL

JIMMY SMITH ROCKIN' THE BOAT

DONALD BYRD A NEW PERSPECTIVE

JIMMY SMITH PRAYER MEETIN'

LEE MORGAN SIDEWINDER

HORACE SILVER SONG FOR MY FATHER

HORACE SILVER CAPE VERDEAN BLUES

JIMMY SMITH BUCKET

LEE MORGAN SEARCH FOR THE NEW LAND

STANLEY TURRENTINE ROUGH 'N TUMBLE

LOU DONALDSON ALLIGATOR BOGALOO

JIMMY SMITH JIMMY SMITH'S GREATEST HITS

LOU DONALDSON MIDNIGHT CREEPER

STANLEY TURRENTINE THE LOOK OF LOVE ST

LEE MORGAN CARAMBA

LOU DONALDSON SAY IT LOUD

DUKE PEARSON PHANTOM

LOU DONALDSON HOT DOG

JACK MCDUFF DOWN HOME STYLE

(Some of these didn't get very high :) But if you're looking for albums of that type, "The look of love" looks like the first one to actually cross over to the pop audience. And that was out before "Always something there".

In addition, BN had 5 more on the R&B charts that didn't go pop

LOU DONALDSON MR SHING-A-LING

HORACE SILVER SERENADE TO A SOUL SISTER

DONALD BYRD SLOW DRAG

LONNIE SMITH THINK

GENE HARRIS ELEGANT SOUL

No sign of "Always something there" in that lot, either.

MG

Not sure what you mean, chewy. Up to the end of 1969, BN had 21 LPs on the pop album charts and none of them were "Always something there". Here they are, in the order they hit:

JIMMY SMITH MIDNIGHT SPECIAL

JIMMY SMITH BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK

LOU DONALDSON THE NATURAL SOUL

JIMMY SMITH ROCKIN' THE BOAT

DONALD BYRD A NEW PERSPECTIVE

JIMMY SMITH PRAYER MEETIN'

LEE MORGAN SIDEWINDER

HORACE SILVER SONG FOR MY FATHER

HORACE SILVER CAPE VERDEAN BLUES

JIMMY SMITH BUCKET

LEE MORGAN SEARCH FOR THE NEW LAND

STANLEY TURRENTINE ROUGH 'N TUMBLE

LOU DONALDSON ALLIGATOR BOGALOO

JIMMY SMITH JIMMY SMITH'S GREATEST HITS

LOU DONALDSON MIDNIGHT CREEPER

STANLEY TURRENTINE THE LOOK OF LOVE ST

LEE MORGAN CARAMBA

LOU DONALDSON SAY IT LOUD

DUKE PEARSON PHANTOM

LOU DONALDSON HOT DOG

JACK MCDUFF DOWN HOME STYLE

(Some of these didn't get very high :) But if you're looking for albums of that type, "The look of love" looks like the first one to actually cross over to the pop audience. And that was out before "Always something there".

In addition, BN had 5 more on the R&B charts that didn't go pop

LOU DONALDSON MR SHING-A-LING

HORACE SILVER SERENADE TO A SOUL SISTER

DONALD BYRD SLOW DRAG

LONNIE SMITH THINK

GENE HARRIS ELEGANT SOUL

No sign of "Always something there" in that lot, either.

MG

Wow - 'Caramba' in the pop charts. The mind boggles ! :blink:

Having said that, the first copy of this I got (and 'Sixth Sense') was on an original issue cassete tape 70s oil crisis mail order import bargain - and I think it also came out on 8-track.

As I recollect, "Caramba" had a pretty danceable title cut and also a pretty girl on the cover. What more do you want for a hit album? A Ray Charles vocal? :D

More amazing to me are "Search for the new land" and "Cape Verdean blues".

MG

As I recollect, "Caramba" had a pretty danceable title cut and also a pretty girl on the cover. What more do you want for a hit album?

I'll bet the dance floors cleared pretty fast when track 2 'Suicide City' came on :lol:

Don't think I ever heard anything more than the title track. I accept what you say without necessarily cracking up over it.

You've made me wonder how people used to listen to these albums back in the mid sixties. I mean, I was a jazz fan anyway, but these albums sold to a much wider range of people than jazz fans. So, if you're seventeen or whatever and get an album because it's got one of those hip dance "Sidewinder" type riff numbers at the start, what the hell do you do about the other tracks?

MG

I'm a Turrentine fanboy...but "Always Something There" is by far my least favorite album he recorded for Blue Note.

I'd certainly agree ... and I can still enjoy it because of that Turrentine "sound".

I agree, too and I'm sure I could enjoy it, too... if I'd ever bought it.

:D

I do have the twofer with a few cuts on it.

MG

Some (not all) of the early jazz approaches to Bacharach come off as though they were done to satisfy some A&R decision, and the artist in question begrudgingly goes along. It sounds like they treat this material as though it were lightweight pop.

What's odd about this though, and I say this as both a musician myself and a listener, is that many Bacharach tunes can be challenging in various regards. Unusual chord progressions, phrases with odd numbers of bars and jarring rhythmic shifts, wide melodic jumps, etc. Many of the tried-and-true patterns that work for improvising on pop standards -Rodgers, Kern, etc. - don't work too well with Bacharach.

What I can't figure out is why more jazz musicians didn't seem to realize this about his music. It would seem that if a jazz musician wanted something challenging to work with AND wanted to reach a broader audience, Bacharach was the ticket.

Thoughts?

wait wait what position did caramba land at, do you have the complete chart for that? id be interested to see what was below/above it!!!

Wasn't a very big hit. Spent 3 weeks on the chart and reached 190.

I don't have the complete chart for each week since 1955, chewy, just the Whitburn Pop and R&B chart books. They're in artist order, so I put the "jazz" albums in a spreadsheet so I can sort them by label or chronologically. But, to satisfy your morbid curiosity, I can tell you that Les McCann's "Much Les" and Pete Fountain's "Those were the days" were a bit above "Caramba" at the same period (March 1969) and Hugh Masekela's "Masekela" was a bit below it. I bet you're pleased about that, aren't you? :D

MG

lee morgan is better than hugh maskaleka

Better at what? Lee couldn't make a piece of Township Jazz like "Stimela". Wouldn't because he didn't have the cultural background out of which it comes. But it's as emotionally effective as anything Lee - or any other jazz musician (with the probable exception of Lester Young) - has done.

Bicycles are better than Big Macs.

MG

I beleive that chewy's original question was about intent rather than results, so regular BN releases that they got lucky on wouldn't count as "commercial" but only those where they did something diffewrent to try to sell more would, regardless of whether they were in fact successful. Whether this is a coherent Q or rests on false assumptions is another matter, or two...

I have both Always Something There & The Look of Love on Applause CDs and enjoy them both, but the're not my favs.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

As I recollect, "Caramba" had a pretty danceable title cut and also a pretty girl on the cover. What more do you want for a hit album?

I'll bet the dance floors cleared pretty fast when track 2 'Suicide City' came on :lol:

Don't think I ever heard anything more than the title track. I accept what you say without necessarily cracking up over it.

You've made me wonder how people used to listen to these albums back in the mid sixties. I mean, I was a jazz fan anyway, but these albums sold to a much wider range of people than jazz fans. So, if you're seventeen or whatever and get an album because it's got one of those hip dance "Sidewinder" type riff numbers at the start, what the hell do you do about the other tracks?

MG

I'm mostly referring to the part I bolded above...

But am I the only one cracks up looking at that ad that is on some Blue Note inner sleeves that shows a late-teens/early 20's young lady lounging on her bedroom/den floor gazingly dreamily at the cover of Cecil Taylor's "Conquistador."

Like that ever happened... :rolleyes:<_<

Edited by Parkertown

But am I the only one cracks up looking at that ad that is on some Blue Note inner sleeves that shows a late-teens/early 20's young lady lounging on her bedroom/den floor gazingly dreamily at the cover of Cecil Taylor's "Conquistador."

That one makes me grin too !

Isn't there also a copy of George Braith's 'Extensions' on the floor too that she is oggling?

That picture is on the inner sleeve of the French Pathe Marconi DMMs.

That one makes me grin too !

Isn't there also a copy of George Braith's 'Extensions' on the floor too that she is oggling?

That picture is on the inner sleeve of the French Pathe Marconi DMMs.

Now the funny thing is, I didn't think that was funny. The young lady is black and I think that makes a difference to how unlikely it would be. And the other LP is Jimmy Smith's "I'm movin' on".

MG