Jon Hassell

7/4

Jon Hassell - Power Spot

412iPwZ00UL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Big :tup

There's a new album coming out on ECM. I've been a big Hassell fan for 30 years. :tup

There's a new album coming out on ECM. I've been a big Hassell fan for 30 years. :tup

Any recommendations on further listening? That's the first Hassell leader-date I've heard.

Any of the previous four are great:

Aka-Darbari-Java / Magic Realism

Dream Theory in Malaya

Fourth World vol. 2: Dream Theory In Malaya

Fourth World vol. 1: Possible Musics

The next two are more like Power Spot.

Flash Of The Spirit

The Surgeon Of The Nightsky Restores Dead Things By The Power Of Sound

Insane funk album: City: Works Of Fiction.

Beautiful acoustic album: Fascinoma.

Beware of Earthquake Island.

http://jonhassell.com/

Edited by 7/4

Jon Hassell will be touring in February:

February 5 - Columbus, OH - Wexner Center

February 6 - Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theater

February 8 – Philadelphia, PA - Word Café Live

February 10 - New York, NY – Zankel Hall

February 12 - Minneapolis, MN – Walker Art Center

February 13 - Los Angeles, LA - Royce Hall

February 14 - Vancouver - Chan Center for the Performing Arts

on the tour:

Jon HASSELL: Trumpet / Keyboard

Peter FREEMAN: Bass / Laptop

Jan BANG: Sampler / Live Sampling

Dino J.A. DEANE: Sampler / Live Sampling

Kheir-Eddine M’KACHICHE: Violin

7/4, don't you live near Philly?

Closer to NYC. Don't know if I can make it.

I heard him at the World Financial Center with Eno mixing about 20 years ago. I sure would like to go to this...

February 10 - New York, NY – Zankel Hall

He plays NYC the same day the album comes out in the states.

Tickets from $35 - $45. <_<

dB

Edited by 7/4

:rhappy:

I heard him at the World Financial Center with Eno mixing about 20 years ago. I sure would like to go to this...

dB

I was at that show, too. I don't remember seeing you there, 7/4. :cool:

Liked the guy for a long time, myself.

I have a friend who's going to that show in MN.

The last Hassell I heard was in the early 90's, when I was into Hearts of Space and Echoes, both of which would feature his music from time to time. I had one CD of his but let it go. Was also listening to a lot of Steve Tibbetts, David Torn, Ronald Shannon Jackson, and electric Miles. Seems so long ago now, but those are fond memories.

I believe he hosted Hearts of Space. Slight hijack.

It is Echoes. Hearts of Space is all Stephen Hill.

I have had some interesting conversations with John Diliberto and his wife [they both put Echoes together]. Diliberto was into prog pretty heavy back in the day. He dissed me and my colleague for not having any Magma records. ^_^

John DiLiberto was my employer for a week or two, he and Geno Wong opened a short lived import record store in Philly. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. I just haven't happened to have his radio show on except on long driving trips.

Geno Wong. Now there's a name I haven't heard in years. I was a DJ at WXPN back in the late 80's. Vaguely remember meeting him (and John & Kimberly) a few times at station meetings. Michael Cuscuna used to host a show on WXPN back in the late 60's.....

...Beware of Earthquake Island...http://jonhassell.com/

It's been ages since I've heard that one. Why do you consider it something to steer clear of, 7/4? My (admittedly fuzzy) memories are not terribly positive nor overwhelmingly negative.

It wasn't representative of what his other work. Nothing like his first album Vernal Equinox or the albums that came after. Kind of a lame funk record as I remember.

Hassell has just the coolest sound. It sounds like he's just blowing through the horn, it really doesn't sound like a trumpet, more like a conch shell. Folks make a big deal about electronic processing (harmonizer), but it's used sparingly. We're really hearing just his horn most of the time. He was one of the first people to really use a sampler in the early '80s.

more later, I should listen to those early albums again.

I believe he hosted Hearts of Space. Slight hijack.

It is Echoes. Hearts of Space is all Stephen Hill.

I have had some interesting conversations with John Diliberto and his wife [they both put Echoes together]. Diliberto was into prog pretty heavy back in the day. He dissed me and my colleague for not having any Magma records. ^_^

Udu Wudu!!!! =:-) Got to love the Magma folks! Vander and Bernard Pagnotti! Whew......

bigtiny

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Hassell's new album is called Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street. That is a line from a favorite poem of his.

I used to listen to a lot of music like this thirty years ago. It's been a long time, but I as I recall tracks from Soft Machine Six and Seven and Hugh Hopper's Hopportunity Box and 1984 are along the same lines.

It is very spacy, with a very, very slow tempo throughout. Mostly electronic keyboards, with some trumpet on the last three (of ten) tracks. For the entire album, I can't say for sure where the melody ends and the improvisation begins. Maybe this should be considered good new age rather than jazz. It's interesting and pleasant to listen to.

If you don't have anything like it, I can recommend it.

Strongly disagree here. Just listened to it the other day and it fits quite well within the whole Hassell ouvre. You also forgot to mention 'Dressing for Pleasure' which I consider to be even funkier than 'Citi: Works of Fiction'.

bigtiny

I didn't forget anything, I didn't recommend it.

Jon Hassell's new album is called Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street. That is a line from a favorite poem of his.

I used to listen to a lot of music like this thirty years ago. It's been a long time, but I as I recall tracks from Soft Machine Six and Seven and Hugh Hopper's Hopportunity Box and 1984 are along the same lines.

It is very spacy, with a very, very slow tempo throughout. Mostly electronic keyboards, with some trumpet on the last three (of ten) tracks. For the entire album, I can't say for sure where the melody ends and the improvisation begins. Maybe this should be considered good new age rather than jazz. It's interesting and pleasant to listen to.

If you don't have anything like it, I can recommend it.

There's trumpet on ALL tracks. Hassell has a unique way of playing and processes his trumpet electronically. It's nothing like Soft Machine or Hugh Hopper....

bigtiny

Strongly disagree here. Just listened to it the other day and it fits quite well within the whole Hassell ouvre. You also forgot to mention 'Dressing for Pleasure' which I consider to be even funkier than 'Citi: Works of Fiction'.

bigtiny

I didn't forget anything, I didn't recommend it.

Mea Culpa......

bigtiny