Is there a better CD version of Somethin' Else than the RVG?

mtodde

I have the Classic Records 33 RPM LP of Somethin' Else but I'm without a turntable for a few more months and am wondering if there is a better sounding CD version than the RVG I have. Unfortunately I'm not set up for DVD-Audio anymore because that may well be the best sounding digital version.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them. I'm not sure when the SACD will come out from Acoustic Sounds/APO.

Thanks

Edited by mtodde

The RVG sounds compressed and almost mono. It's one of the more extreme RVG "mastering reinterpretations".

The MFSL sounds much better. But it's OOP and expensive.

I would indeed wait for the new Analogue Productions hybrid SACD, although this can take a while.

I have the first 4 SACDs from the series (Whistle Stop, Leeway, Capuchin Swing, Blue Train), and they sound extremely fine.

Didn't the old MFSL do a gold Somethin' Else? Or am I misremembering?

Otherwise can't you just wait for the SACD and "suffer" for a few months with the RVG? It can't be that bad.

One of the problems with a revealing high end system is that you get whatever is on the disc and compressed recordings are pretty much unlistenable...and this one sounds pretty bad. I can handle mono but there is very little dynamic range due to the compression.

There was a MFSL but I'm not going to pay $300 for it...hopefully I'll run into an early issue CD. I do plan to buy the SACD but will probably have my vinyl rig up and running before then. Otherwise it may be a few months before I listen to this again.

Somethin' Else was my first RVG- when I compared it with the previous version I was impressed, especially with the sound of Blakey's cymbals.

I'm very happy with the RVG! It's one of my favorite BNs.

Same here! :tup

I'm in the RVG camp; a major improvement over the McMaster (which I compared when I upgraded nearly 10 years ago).

The RVG sounds compressed and almost mono. It's one of the more extreme RVG "mastering reinterpretations".

The MFSL sounds much better. But it's OOP and expensive.

I would indeed wait for the new Analogue Productions hybrid SACD, although this can take a while.

I have the first 4 SACDs from the series (Whistle Stop, Leeway, Capuchin Swing, Blue Train), and they sound extremely fine.

I'm with Claude on this one. I had both the RVG and the MFSL and the latter won in a comparison, by an enormous margin. To my ears the RVG is a sonic disaster (added digital compression, almost mono, the highs don't sound good), while the MFSL sounds pretty smooth.

I haven't heard any of the Analogue Productions hybrid SACDs so far, so I can't comment on those.

• 3 weeks later...

But weren't the Hackensack stereos almost mono sounding anyway? Rudy has said that he didn't like those early stereos, and it's no surprise that his CD sounds close to mono.

The RVG CD is the only version of this that I have ever heard, and it sounded fine as far as I remember. But no doubt the TOCJ is the best CD version. They almost always are.

But weren't the Hackensack stereos almost mono sounding anyway?

Not this one. The MFSL version has a wide stereo image.

The RVG CD is the only version of this that I have ever heard, and it sounded fine as far as I remember. But no doubt the TOCJ is the best CD version. They almost always are.

Bold thing to say that "no doubt the TOCJ is the best CD version" if the RVG CD is the only version you've ever heard ... I've heard the RVG, "Blue Note Works" TOCJ and MFSL and the MFSL won on all counts.

Edited by J.A.W.

This is one of the RVGs for which the JRVG is a different and better sounding remaster.

It is interesting to me how much time was spent comparing Japanese and US RVGs during my early days on the old BNBB group, whereas today most here seem to have forgotten that era, or even that the first several batches of RVGs were remastered separately for US and Japan markets.

Hi

On a general level för Blue Notes I would normally rate the following editions (not just "Something else")

1. DCC jazz by Steve Hoffman - Simply stunning! It's all there Resolution, warmth, bass etc. Not very common on BN I think just Vinyl ;-)

2. TOCJ the old jewel 4000 series - Straight transfers. Godd bass, wide spread and not too much treble

3. MFSL - They are sounding a bit old (not so revealing) sometimes but always nice.

4. Newer RVG's - Generally not so bad. A tad bright though.

5. Ron Mcmasters (never sounded special and shy of bass)

6. Old RVG's and JRVG's Compressed and narrow stereo spread, LOTS of treble. Tiring sound.

There are of course exceptions :D

Shaft

Edited by shaft

Hi

On a general level för Blue Notes I would normally rate the following editions (not just "Something else")

1. DCC jazz by Steve Hoffman - Simply stunning! It's all there Resolution, warmth, bass etc. Not very common on BN I think just Vinyl ;-)

2. TOCJ the old jewel 4000 series - Straight transfers. Godd bass, wide spread and not too much treble

3. MFSL - They are sounding a bit old (not so revealing) sometimes but always nice.

4. Newer RVG's - Generally not so bad. A tad bright though.

5. Ron Mcmasters (never sounded special and shy of bass)

6. Old RVG's and JRVG's Compressed and narrow stereo spread, LOTS of treble. Tiring sound.

There are of course exceptions :D

Shaft

DCC didn't release any Blue Notes on CD.

(edit) Oops, just noticed Scott's post above mine... :winky:

Edited by J.A.W.