allright some arbitrary judgements about some

AllenLowe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7) SARGENT Carter yelled at Gomer too much -

A lot of repressed homosexuality going down there - sort of like Ren 'n' Stempy. Carter had a drinking problem and he was hung over all the time.

:rfr

Compared to Joe Flynn as Captain Birminghamton on McHale's Navy...

Frank Sutton, btw, died doing dinner theatre in Shreveport, La. Shreveport in those days was the nearest "big city" media outlet to the part of East Texas where I lived, so believe me when I tell you that I learned more about Frank Sutton/Sgt. Carter in 72 hours than anybody would ever want to...

the Pete Brown is probably under Helen Humes' name -

That "Unlucky Blues" (aka "Unlucky Woman") from the MCA Blues Box Vol. 2 set is available elsewhere relatively easily,

e.g.

on the MCA V.A. LP "THe Swinging Small Bands 2" (Jazz Heritage series Vol. 45)

and on

"Sounds of Harlem Vol. 2" (HEP CD 1066).

So no shortage of listening opportunities ...

Oh, nothing secret, just his whole damn life story.

It was a big deal for a "celebrity" like Frank Sutton to be doing dinner theater in Shreveport in the first place. The Gomer Pyle show had been huge in that area, both for obvious cultural reasons and also because Barksdale AFB in Bossier City housed a SAC unit.

Sutton had been doing all the local mid-day talk shows on local TV & radio (unlike today, Shreveport actually had a whiff of the "cosmopolitan air" to it), interviews on all the news shows, personal announcements plugging the gig, total saturation.

And then he died. You know, the beloved Sgt. Carter comes to you town, makes a big, friendly splash, let's you know that he's GLAD to be here, that he LOVES you and your town, and he's SO EXCITED about his time here, and he's looking forward to sheeting EVERYBODY in the city, all this, and then the motherfucker drops dead.

Just....drops....dead...

Shreveport felt this pain, jack. FELT it, do you hear me?

So they vented. In the newspapers, on the TV & radio, maybe even a billboard or two (the billboards' I'm not totally sure about, but for the purpose of a good story., let's assume so until proven not, ok?). I'd like to say that there was a funeral parade down the streets of Shrevport with the Barksdale band playing the Gomer Pyle march in minor, but as good as a story as that would make, it would be a flat out lie, and there's no room for flat out lying when paying tribute to the memory of the beloved Frank Sutton, the man who made splashy, sunshiny love to the city Shreveport and then consummated the relationship with a surprise case of rigor mortis.

1) Pete Brown was the greatest blues player in the history of jazz - listen to his alto solo on Unlucky Blues, behind Helen Humes. One can hear, as he plays it, the band erupting into what appears to be spontaneous acknowledgment - and I won't hold it against him that the tune was written by Leonard Feather -

2) Jonah Jones was one of the greatest swing-era trumpet players; up there with Eldridge/Shavers/Red Allen/Berigan (no not the Republican Berigan); it is not Jonah's fault that he will be forever remembered for those annoying and muted Capitol albums.

listen to his solo behind the great singer Georgia White on Papa Please from 1940 - he was also working on some of the same things, rhythmically, that Dizzy was working on, possibly from their association in the Cab Calloway band -

PeteBrown was also the greatest swing alto player. Listen to The World I Waiting for the Sunrise by Frankie Newton or The Lady is a Tramp by Midge Williams; Brown occupies songs.

I disagree with your assertion about Jonah Jones. I think he was a pretty limited improviser, certainly not top tier, and prone to rely on a grab bag of licks.

Bill Coleman is the unsung swing trumpet giant, whose stellar work in Europe during the 1930s is not as well known as it should be.

I love Bill Coleman - but the Jonah Jones I've heard has come as a surprise - there's a Cab Calloway solo, very boppish, that I always thought was Dizzy - but turned out to be Jonah - and there's one I just heard on a Georgia White record - VERY adventurous - and I believe there are some very fine Commodores (and I may be confusing things, but I think he's got Lucky Thompson with him on these) -

love, by the way, Coleman's work with Dickey wells, also Bill COleman's Blues w/Django -

but the Jonah Jones I've heard has come as a surprise - there's a Cab Calloway solo, very boppish, that I always thought was Dizzy - but turned out to be Jonah -

Small wonder they tended to be confused at that time - after all it turned out it was Jonah and not Dizzy who threw that notorious spitball too. :lol::lol:

That "Unlucky Blues" (aka "Unlucky Woman") from the MCA Blues Box Vol. 2 set is available elsewhere relatively easily,

e.g.

and on

Thanks. I did see the "Unlucky Woman" track on various Humes titles and thought it might be the same. The Hep looks good.

Buster Smith's sax playing on solo on Big Joe Turner's "Baby, Look At You" is the greatest early bop performance evah. To my ears. :)

I read this and immediately downloaded it from the iTunes store. (I need instant gratification right now.) it is indeed a great solo but I'm not sure why you describe it as "bop".

the Pete Brown is probably under Helen Humes' name -

e.g.

and on

The iTunes store lists "Unlucky Woman" on 2 different collections "The Sounds of Harlem" under Pete Brown's name and on "Helen Humes: Today I Sing the Blues".

Edited by medjuck