The Flatulance Thread

I bought a bag of beans on Monday - cute little thingies about 1/3 the size of a kidney bean. They were called American beans - something I've never seen before.

I soaked about a cup and a 1/2 overnight.

Next day I browned off a chorizo sausage.

Then in the the sausage fat and a little olive oil I sauteed for a while some onions-garlic-carrot-celery.

Then I threw in the beans, the sausage pieces, salt and papper, parsley, a couple of bay leaves, chicken stock.

A few hours later the result was an outstanding, (even if I do say so myself) rustic, hearty soup/stew. Just great with crusty bread.

But the aftermath was still, er, rather gaseous. And believe me - these beans WERE cooked. Any more time on the stove and the whole lot would have become mush.

So what's the score here? I don't cook legumes all that often, but I do love 'em. Pretty healthy and certainly cheap.

But is there no way of avoiding the side effects? :(

Edited by kenny weir

There may be a way out of your- ahem!!! dilemma but I'm not for sure on that,The way you described the meal sounded pretty good and Damn i didn't know you could get chorizo in Austraila. I wouldn't feel to guilty or embarrased about it if I were you but if you're planning on having it again anytime soon just allow yourself some space so you can avoid the social ramifications. :g

BTW KW, a few drops of Beano will proly do the trick. ^_^

Beano! Yech - sounds like liquid smoke or some such.

Actually, the bean side effects don't really bother me, but I'd avoid them if I could.

Garlic? I remember back in my long gone boyhood days in (culinary bleak) deep south New Zealand - days when garlic was as exotic as hell and you could definitely tell who'd been chomping on it.

These days, in multicultural multiculinary Melbourne, I reckon just about everybody eats garlic every day, so it's the norm. :D

I've tried the Beano, but it didn't help me. I love beans, and as Kenny says, they are healthy to boot, but once I hit 45, it became too much. Forget the smell of what escaped, the gas that remained in my system actually became painful. I'm afraid I'm done for, and with my fantastic baked bean recipe to boot... :(:blink::(

• 2 years later...

Try soaking the beans for a day or more, replacing the water 1x or 2x and cook them for at least 2-3 hours on high (6-7 in a slow cooker). That might help.

I consume a fair bit of all kinds of legumes - don't get much 'wind', but not completely free either. :P

Time for a flatulence joke (with political overtones):

Two Israelis are in an elevator when the doors open and a Palestinian gets on. After the doors close, the Palestinian farts loudly. The doors open again and the Palestinian gets off. One Jew looks at the other,

wipes his brow and says, "Thank God! Must have been a dud!"