Jackie McLean "One Step Beyond" RVG

whiskeycat

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! My copy from yourmusic is correct.

John (JET): it sounds the same as my other copy to me.

Looks like this one has now moved to the top of my list at yourmusic. :tup

It definitely should! Just listened to it again and it is great. I might actually prefer the alternate take of "Saturday and Sunday". It's amazing. Tony Williams is beyond belief and Bobby Hutcherson's solo is a thing of beauty.

• 3 weeks later...

The thread that refuses to die.

I sent an email to True Blue about this cd and though I didn't buy it from them I asked them to forward the email to someone at Bluenote because I wanted a replacement disc. I got an email from Michael Cuscuna a few days later and he asked me for my address and said he would forward it to the necesarry people and they would mail me a replacement.

I couldn't find a email addresss on the Bluenote website that would have done the same which is why I decided to try the back door. It worked!

• 4 months later...

This is not a unique event at Blue Note. People seem to forget about the fiasco with Wayne Shorter's "The Soothsayer". They fixed that one after it had been out for years and never told anyone about it. I had to buy a copy every now & then until I got one with the fixed CD in it.

Kevin

Could you post the number on the hub of the playing side of the CD. That would make it possible to differentiate between the flawed and corrected pressings.

You'll probably need a magnifying glass in order to read the numbers.

The old Soothsayer has been replaced by an RVG version so I doubt you will find any of the old corrected pressings in retail stores - probably only used.

The RVG is much better but still not perfect - there must be some problems with the master tape, at least on 'Lady Day'.

Bertrand.

• 2 months later...

Hi, there. I received my copy of this RVG yesterday, from the seller cdon.com, detected the error and started googling. It brought me here. First, I thought something was wrong with my cd-player. I checked with my computer and found the same error. I have to read through these posts to find out how to get my replacement copy but it seriously pisses me off to find that the malfunctioning copies are still being sold and that Blue Note didn't withdraw them all ASAP. The one good thing to come of this is the fact that I have finally found a decent jazz-board. Nice!

Hi, there. I received my copy of this RVG yesterday, from the seller cdon.com, detected the error and started googling. It brought me here. First, I thought something was wrong with my cd-player. I checked with my computer and found the same error. I have to read through these posts to find out how to get my replacement copy but it seriously pisses me off to find that the malfunctioning copies are still being sold and that Blue Note didn't withdraw them all ASAP. The one good thing to come of this is the fact that I have finally found a decent jazz-board. Nice!

Welcome ! :)

Edited by sidewinder