It's not a crime to download, say musicians

porcy62

Musicians including Robbie Williams, Annie Lennox, Billy Bragg, Blur's David Rowntree and Radiohead's Ed O'Brien said last night that the public should not be prosecuted for downloading illegal music from the internet.

The Featured Artists Coalition, which consists of 140 of Britain's biggest rock and pop stars, said at its inaugural meeting that companies such as MySpace and YouTube should be required to remunerate the artists when they use their music for advertising.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...ns-1643217.html

Edited by porcy62

correction: they don't say it isn't a crime, they say it's a crime that shouldn't be prosecuted. rather than argue that "it's too late now to stop illegal downloading," why don't they band together to change the laws. at the very least, why don't they refuse to sign contracts that don't contain provisions for free downloading? i wonder if these musicians would feel the same if they alone laid out the money to record, edit, master, produce, and distribute their music.

imo, the argument that music business=bad, everyone else=good is getting a bit old and tired. of course the industry has to face facts and embrace new technologies, but how do you folks feel about the illegal download sites that post mosaic sets that were just released a few months prior?

imo, the argument that music business=bad, everyone else=good is getting a bit old and tired. of course the industry has to face facts and embrace new technologies, but how do you folks feel about the illegal download sites that post mosaic sets that were just released a few months prior?

I dunno; where are they? :unsure:

(Yes, it's a joke...)

correction: they don't say it isn't a crime, they say it's a crime that shouldn't be prosecuted. rather than argue that "it's too late now to stop illegal downloading," why don't they band together to change the laws. at the very least, why don't they refuse to sign contracts that don't contain provisions for free downloading? i wonder if these musicians would feel the same if they alone laid out the money to record, edit, master, produce, and distribute their music.

I agree with what you're saying. I also think it's easy to make a statement that sounds like you're not sweating downloads when you've already made more money from your music than most people would see in their entire life. It's pretty easy to look the other way when you're not riding in a rickety old van that overheats, barely making enough money to make it to the next gig, let alone get something to eat.