Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

D.D. - that would be the last place I'd have thought of checking for this type of music and having checked almost all of my usual sources, I had given up on this. Just mailed them to ask whether they do have it in stock, we'll see. Thank you.

Themusicresource often has good music that you would not find anywhere else.

And often it does not.

When it comes to free-avant-out-funnyrat stuff, form my 3-year experience with themusicresource.com, their availability database is 75% accurate.

They are not very good in responding to e-mails, so I sugest you just go ahead and order.

As for Funny Rat album - all this out stuff sounds the same anyway - just plain noise. So it does not matter which one we discuss -it's all Funny Rat.

Some of the noise is very loud, though...

As I mentioned, I am getting my copy as soon as we rich 1400 posts on this thread (mid- to late- may, I assume).

Less than 100 to go... Saving up yet? :g

Guest Chaney

This may be of interest:

NEW WORLD RECORDS

CRI Update

March 2004

We are pleased to announce that the catalogue of Composers Recordings, Inc. will become a permanent part of New World Records. We expect that the process of integrating such a large and prestigious catalogue will take some time. As New World Records and Composers Recordings, Inc. are both public foundations, this transfer first must be approved by the New York State Attorney General's office. That process has begun. When approved, and after the Trustees of both organizations formally ratify the transfer, New World Records will begin offering titles that were originally released on CRI. We are committed to keeping every title active in our catalogue and available at all times.

In the meantime, CRI titles are still available for purchase from:

Qualiton Imports

24-02 40th Avenue

Long Island City, NY 11101

Tel. 718.937.8515

Fax 718.729.3239

www.qualiton.com

We expect a smooth transition from the liquidation of the remaining CRI inventory to the creation and introduction of new versions of the titles in the CRI catalogue. We do not expect any interruption in the availability of any title. Please check back to this page periodically for updates on our progress.

If you have a specific question please direct it to me.

Paul Tai

Director of Artists and Repertory

ptai@newworldrecords.org

Picked up a used copy of Roscoe Mitchel / Brus Trio: After Fallen Leaves. Which is better than AMG gives it credit for. I don't thing the Brus Trio is as bad a AMG makes out. Granted it doesn't supply too much fireworks, but it's not left for dead either. A very nice remake of Sing is included on the cd, and Mitchel is wonderful as usual. Each time I hear Mitchel it gets deeper in my brain that this guy is a fantastic musician. I'm just trying to convince myself to buy his Solo 3 release.

Picked up a used copy of Roscoe Mitchel / Brus Trio: After Fallen Leaves.  Which is better than AMG gives it credit for.  I don't thing the Brus Trio is as bad a AMG makes out.

Much better.

I consider this a triumph for Roscoe since I think the record they made with Charles Tyler is very sad for all involved. Roscoe is a stronger personality in playing situations than Charles was. Charles needed to be in complete control (or sympathy) to make the music work.

Picked up a used copy of Roscoe Mitchel / Brus Trio: After Fallen Leaves.  Which is better than AMG gives it credit for.  I don't thing the Brus Trio is as bad a AMG makes out.

Much better.

I consider this a triumph for Roscoe since I think the record they made with Charles Tyler is very sad for all involved. Roscoe is a stronger personality in playing situations than Charles was. Charles needed to be in complete control (or sympathy) to make the music work.

Funny (rat?) enough, just a couple of days ago I listened to Charles Tyler's beautiful Midwestern Drifter CD (live trio set with Denis Charles and Wilber Morris).

Charles Tyler's beautiful Midwestern Drifter CD (live trio set with Denis Charles and Wilber Morris).

Please give me the details for that one.

Chuck, my mistake, the trio session I was referring to is Wilber Morris' "Collective Improvisation".

Mid Wester Drifter is also a trio, but with bass and piano. I haven't listened to it for quite some time. As I remember, Tyler recites (well) his poems a bit, and plays alto mostly. I also remember it being very emotional - not on the sense of hysterical screaming or something like that, but in the sense of music directly conveying the emotions of the player.

I will listen to it again and will report here.

It's on Bleu Regard label

Friends, I just heard a solo saxophone CD which is probably just as good as Gebbia's Arcana Major...

To be certain, I listened to it three times.

It is really good.

Ned Rothenberg "The Crux. Selected Solo Wind Works (1989-1992)" (Leo, 1993)

B0000281UK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

To be obtained immidiately.

AMG review

Ned Rothenberg's website

Edited by Д.Д.

For some reason, "The Crux" seems not to gather much attention. I agree that it deserves much more praise and attention. "Intervals," is quite good too, so for those who were really impressed with "The Crux" that might be the next to get. It's nothing radically different and is a 2-disc release and "The Crux" offers a more compact peek into Rothenberg's skills and way of playing.

Edited by gnhrtg

Guest Chaney

I'm on it, Mr. D!

Looks like AMG also wets itself over Rothenberg's Power Lines. Ever hear that one?

I'm on it, Mr. D!

Looks like AMG also wets itself over Rothenberg's Power Lines. Ever hear that one?

No, Crux is my first exposure to Rothenberg. But I'll be definitely getting more.

Hey, boys, where were you all that time?

THE CRUX is old stuff from 1993!

As good as GIANNI GEBBIA? That's not much encouraging to get it (something like a smiley, here.)

Well, long time that I didn't listen to it.

But I remember to have liked it a lot years ago. I will give it a refreshing listen soon.

But if you're interesting in ROTHENBERG, one to get it's his duet with DENMAN MARONEY on CIMP (to those who fear CIMP sound of thruth, all the records who involved piano are NOT recorded in the Spirit Room.)

TOOLS OF TRADE is the name. And it's a marvellous duet between an inventive pianist much in the contemporary style and the alto of Rothenberg at his highest.

Edited by P.L.M

Since you folks are talking about avant-garde jazz,could you recommend

me something similar like Tony Oxley's The Baptised Traveller?

It's an AMAZING album and I'd really like to hear something similar.I also

recently bought Oxley's "4 Compositions for Sextet" but didn't like it

very much.

Swinger, I was listening to Oxley's "Baptised Traveller" today (it is a great album indeed, and VERY uncharacteristic Evan Parker playing), and thought that you might enjoy Sven-Ake Jhansson's "Six Little Pieces for Quintet" (hatOLOGY) (AMG review).

THE CRUX is old stuff from 1993!

As good as GIANNI GEBBIA? That's not much encouraging to get it (something like a smiley, here.)

P.L.M., if you don't stop this mockery of sacred, I will start praising Odean Pope in every post.

I probably will in any case.

In 1993 I was listening to death metal and Stravinsky's "Firebird" mostly.

Hey Gary, where did your post regarding Live at Nefertiti go? Did your wife make you delete it?

:winky::winky:

sorry about that , I had second thoughts & thought all the recommendations I received from this thread deserved a more sober assesment.(Which is forthcoming)Sorry.

Hey Gary, where did your post regarding Live at Nefertiti go? Did your wife make you delete it?

:winky::winky:

sorry about that , I had second thoughts & thought all the recommendations I received from this thread deserved a more sober assesment.(Which is forthcoming)Sorry.

Looking forward, sober or not.

Inspired by discussion about the bassist Peter Janson I dug up this disc:

Janson / Kullhammar / Nilssen-Love

Live at Glenn Miller Café (Ayler REcords)

Peter Janson, b

Jonas Kullhammar, t & b saxophones

Paal Nilssen-Love, dr

Well friends, this might become my favorite Ayler Records release.

Following Gary's example of a highly responsible approach to one's Rat duties, I will post my as sober as possible review in due course. Meanwhile, enjoy a selection of reviews from the Ayler site.

Oh yeah.

Edited by Д.Д.

Peter Janson, b

Jonas Kullhammar, t & b saxophones

Paal Nilssen-Love, dr

Well friends, this might become my favorite Ayler Records release.

Following Gary's example of a highly responsible approach to one's Rat duties, I will post my as sober as possible review in due course. Meanwhile, enjoy a selection of reviews from the Ayler site.

Oh yeah.

These cd reviews, plus the ones I was COMMANDED by Д.Д. to post on: Clusone Trio: Rara Avis & An Hour With.... The pressure is now on for us to deliver the goods.!

Oh yeah.

These cd reviews, plus the ones I was COMMANDED by Д.Д. to post on: Clusone Trio: Rara Avis & An Hour With.... The pressure is now on for us to deliver the goods.!

He-he.

I warned you Matthew about joining the Funny Rat, didn't I? - it's a serious responsibility.