Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Eneidi jibes w/ Brötz in terms of feral ferocity, giving as good as he gets.

Gotta check out this Eneidi disc I've got - it's on Boticelli records. I think it's called "Disconnected Without Notice". Will do this weekend, and will report here.

OK, listening to this one. It's actually called Final Disconnect Notice, he-he.

Marco Eneidi - as

Karen Borca - bassoon

William Parker - b, c

Wilber Morris -b

Jackson Krall -dr

Good stuff! Eneidi has a beautiful sound - out of Jimy Lyons, but more low and with a bit less bluzes but more lyricism (a bit like Paul Desmond, really). Borca is good, and both Morris (what a sound!) and Jackson Krall shine. Not really noisy... a lot of listeng to and supporitng each other... some very effective shifts of mood and texture.

Judging from this Eneidi could definitely make a good sparring partner to Brötzmann - gonna get their new one..and some more solo Eneidi.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I is mainly "India" , Ibrahim and Iron Maiden.

"Scream for me Long Beach! SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH!!!!"

I was listening to Live After Death a few days ago. I saw Iron Maiden in concert 16 or 17 years ago and still have a soft spot for the 1980's albums.

Have you heard their latest one? I liked Brave New World quite a bit, even if it is somewhat predctable.

COuldn't resist the temptation and ordered the latest Iron Maiden, together with some Tom Waits and Louis Armstrong.

----------------------------------------------------

From the Wallace Records webpage: "New scheduled upcoming on wallace: the trio with LUKAS LIGETI, GIANNI GEBBIA and MASSIMO PUPILLO plays "The Williamsborg Sonatas", jazzy album recorded in NYC. Soon more details....".

Yes.

Hey John, how's this one?

e26620oehi4.jpg

Don't forget to post! Looks tasty!

ubu

It is fantastic! Better than I had remembered. I will try to post a more thorough review later but, for now, I will highly recommend it.

Does it have a lot of that typical Kowald humming (some would call it vocalizing)?

e26620oehi4.jpg

ubu

It is fantastic! Better than I had remembered. I will try to post a more thorough review later but, for now, I will highly recommend it.

Does it have a lot of that typical Kowald humming (some would call it vocalizing)?

why? are you a fan of "humming" ? ;)

e26620oehi4.jpg

ubu

Sure, as long as I'm the one who's doing it...

e26620oehi4.jpg

ubu

Sure, as long as I'm the one who's doing it...

I hum a lot too when producing "tasty looking" stuff like on that cover. What is that anyway??? :huh:;)

not familiar with Kowald really. Like what I have heard by the other two though.

not familiar with Kowald really. Like what I have heard by the other two though.

The late Peter Kowald was one of THE amazing bassists in the freer styles of jazz. If only he had kept his mouth shut - or his voice out of the equation if you like - when playing...

Edited by J.A.W.

I've been meaning to listen to more discs with Peter Kowald as a leader.  Recently, I have been re-listening to the three discs I own and need to get some more, probably starting with Was Da Ist.  

Was Da Ist for sure. But also Duos on FMP, both volumes. Kowald partners with evrybody you can think of in the Rat land (Brötzmann - Kondo - Leandre -Bailer -Evan Parker - Bennink - Cyrille - Cora - Schweizer, etc.) for a set of short (2-3-4 minute) very diverse duets. Don't remember much humming from Kowald himself, but there is some absolutely amazing vocalizing from Diamanda Gallas.

Kowald and Sommer also recorded in a trio with one Gianni Gebbia (Cappucini Klang on Splasc(H)) - and as I remeber it is not bad at all.

Edited by Д.Д.

Finally some new release from Peter Brötzmann this year (from DMG):

BROETZMANN/MANDERSCHEID/SAMBA а Danquah Circle (Konnex 5127) Featuring Peter Brotzmann on alto & tenor saxes, A clarinet & taragato, Dieter Manderscheid on bass and Frank Samba on drums and recorded live at the дLoftе in Cologne in November of 2002. This fabulous trio first played the Loft in February of 1992, before leaving for a tour of West Africa. Their other important gig that year was at the Total Music meeting in Berlin and then they didnеt get together for another decade, when this gig occurred. Although I am mostly unfamiliar with both rhythm team players here, it turns out that Manderscheid has a large discography, from Klaus Konig to Frank Gratkowski to Ekkehard Jost, while Samba appears on one release by Linda Sharrock, as far as I can tell. Well recorded and well-balanced, the trio begin with some sumptuous clarinet, contrabass and cymbals, soon flying high and wide, taking us on their great journey. Erupting intensely, things quiet down for a somber bass and cymbals duo, until Brotzmann picks up his trusty tenor sax and starts wailing, so watch out! The title is actually pretty restrained, yet no less intriguing. The oddly titled вFire in the Zipperг, again starts out quietly and builds to another powerful, flame-throwing conclusion. Another treasure form the great Brotz-man and company!

Following the Signal to Noise add, checkoing out the samples from the False Walls Records website, and really enjoy what I'm hearing:

http://falsewalls.com/releases/releases05.html

And this is some powerful stuff! http://falsewalls.com/releases/releases04.html

Now if only I could order without this money order bullshit.

Edited by Д.Д.

Jonathan Zorn who did some insane shit on bass on his two solo releases on Newsonic, seems to have his own label now: Set Projects. He plays synth on all three releases...hmmm... I might check them out still.

Also from Set Projects website got to Experimental Music Research label -and some good stuff here as well.

B000059M0O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

me likey!

The whole CD is a rather chaotic affair, a good mix of old-fashioned funk (the bass player doesn't just play "bass", no, he plays "fender bass", of course...), and free jazz, eruptive at moments, grooving at others. J.D. Parran adds some of the best solos, in my opinion, but while there are (long) solos here and there, this is very much group music. Recommended!

ubu

What label is it on, again?

Atavistic UMS.

Have listened to the Jeanne Lee disc, "Natural Affinities", and that one is a rather strange affair. It starts with a moody reading/chanting from Mingus' "Beneath the Underdog", accompanied by Dave Holland. Then things proceed with a composition by Gunter Hampel (playing flute and vibes on that one tune), an excerpt from an opera each by Sharon Freeman and Leo Smith, and several other (strange and a bit less so) things. Smith plays on some cuts, usually the rhythm team is Lisle Atkinson and Newman Baker.

Don't know what to think of it. I'll have to listen to it once, without reading any of Lee's comments. Just listen to the music, maybe I can offer any opinion then.

ubu

Was Da Ist for sure. But also Duos on FMP, both volumes. Kowald partners with evrybody you can think of in the Rat land (Brötzmann - Kondo - Leandre -Bailer -Evan Parker - Bennink - Cyrille - Cora - Schweizer, etc.) for a set of short (2-3-4 minute) very diverse duets. Don't remember much humming from Kowald himself, but there is some absolutely amazing vocalizing from Diamanda Gallas.

I have one volume of Duos. I believe it is the Europe volume. I haven't listened to it in a very long time. Today is rainy enough that I can avoid yardwork and get some music listening in, so I'll give it a spin.

I have one volume of Duos. I believe it is the Europe volume. I haven't listened to it in a very long time. Today is rainy enough that I can avoid yardwork and get some music listening in, so I'll give it a spin.

Both CDs (Vol. I and II) cover Europe-America-Japan. In case you have LPs (I think there were 3 of those), they were devided into territories.

DUOS I: http://free-music-production.de/fmpcds/efmpcd021.htm

DUOS II: http://free-music-production.de/fmpcds/duo...d_e_fmp_124.htm

Listening to Coltrane's quartet version of Meditations (from the Impulse! Quartet box) - what an unbelievable stuff!

Writing this I realized, I don't have much of interest for pre-Mediations Coltrane at this moment - in fact, the only Coltrane I've been listening to in last coupe of years is Meditations (both quartet and sextet versions), Olatunji concert, Love Supreme live version and Interstellar Space, which is my favorite, probably.

Listening to Coltrane's quartet version of Meditations (from the Impulse! Quartet box) - what an unbelievable stuff!

I agree completely! As close to perfection as an album has gotten, imo.

I have been taking a break from Coltrane for quite a while now. I was listening to him non-stop for a while and find that I need to step back and decompress after listening to his later work It is so intense, even when it is not screaming, that it takes a lot of energy to immerse myself deeply into it.

I still have never heard Olatunji or Live in Japan, although I would really like to one of these days. In addition to the discs you mentioned, I also really enjoy listening to Sun Ship and Stellar Regions. Live at the VV, Again also has some nice moments, although I don't find it to be as essential as the others. If you go back just a bit earlier, Crescent is another fantastic album.

Interstellar Space is another thing altogether. One of my favorite quotes from here or the BNBB, I can't remember which, was by Jim Sangrey, who said, regarding Interstellar Space, that "you don't fuck with the sound of a man seeing god before he dies."

Edited by John B

Both CDs (Vol. I and II) cover Europe-America-Japan. In case you have LPs (I think there were 3 of those), they were devided into territories.

DUOS I: http://free-music-production.de/fmpcds/efmpcd021.htm

DUOS II: http://free-music-production.de/fmpcds/duo...d_e_fmp_124.htm

You are correct. Based on the links you provided, I own volume 1. It has Diamanda Galas on it, which should be interesting. I honestly don't remember how that track sounds.