Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Roscoe is now a world unto himself. Ignore him if you choose, but it's not his fault if you miss it.

Last Fall I saw his quartet w/ Muhal Richard Abrams on piano. Roscoe was amazing and played w/ a fire and intensity that few players on the scene can match today.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i believe "one too many salty..." was downbeat album of the year in 1981.

this is why i asked my question-

based on critical opinion, this album is INDISPUTABLY a great piece of work. and i am not saying it isn't-i'm just asking people how they approach it and what they get out of it that they enjoy so much.

I wouldn't bother much with critical opinion. Particularly when something is declared an indisputable classics.

I like the 3-disc solo set. I also like the two recent Pi CDs, even if they don't compare with their past achievements. It's all still interesting music

I like this set too. I also think highly of the duo with Tatsi Aoki recently released on Southside. The Pi discs are OK, I much prefer Mitchell's non-AEoC work these days. (And my opinions are in no way influenced by where I think they stand in comparison to Sound.) :)

I'll go back to this set one day. My first impression was of Mitchell just going through the motions, regardless of the instrument. And with extremely ugly alto sound, IMO. But sure, he can still play.

------------------------------

New release on 577 Records:

The Dream

Daniel Carter

William Parker

Federico Ughi

I am boycotting everythign with William Parker, but Carter/Ughi is an excellent combination.

--------------------------------

Bleu Regard seems to be releasing a Charles Tyler recoridng from 1984.

New VHF (Graham Halliwell (alto saxophone) - Simon H. Fell (double bass) - Simon Vincent (electronics, percussion)) release on Bruce's Fingers. I thought the VHF release on Erstwhile was great, so I will definitely pick this one up as well.

Whoa! Last time I checked the Experimental musical research page they had five or six 3" releaes - now there are 30, including several full-length CDs. Many surely look tasty (Fuchs / Turetzky duo :excited: ).

---------------------------------

New Foghorn release:

Bruise with Derek Bailey

Derek Bailey: electric guitar

Tony Bevan: bass saxophones

Orphy Robinson: steel drum, marimbula, percussion, electronics, trumpet

John Edwards: double bass

Ashley Wales: soundscapes & electronics

Mark Sanders: drums & percussion

Recorded live at the 291 Gallery

I still don't have any Foghorn releases - waiting for Mr. Bevan to come to senses and decrease the prices on his CDs.

--------------------

Jazzland: new Atomic release.

--------------------

Might have been mentioned, but worth repeating: new release on Emouvance:

Next to you

J. McPhee

D. Lazro

R. Boni

C. Tchamitchian

Oh yes.

Edited by Д.Д.

based on critical opinion, this album is INDISPUTABLY a great piece of work. and i am not saying it isn't-i'm just asking people how they approach it and what they get out of it that they enjoy so much.

I like that band a lot, but the 3LP set is hard to get through in a sitting (not that I haven't done it before).

Favorite Cecil is still the 60s stuff, the Shandars and Indent.

I like that band a lot, but the 3LP set is hard to get through in a sitting (not that I haven't done it before).

Shandars... Is that the Fondation Maeght material? I've listened to a handful of the shows from that European tour with Rivers and really enjoyed them. It'd be nice to see some of that released on (legit) CD.

Thanks for the news of the Foghorn release; I have Bruised, which is the same band without Bailey, & it was a favourite form last year. I guess Bailey must be playing fingerstyle on the new one, as I gather he was forced to do in his final months? -- Worth tracking down the lo-fi CDR In Tracey's Room, a duo with Bailey & Bevan, by the way, which I think Tony's still got copies of.

[

New release on 577 Records:

The Dream

Daniel Carter

William Parker

Federico Ughi

I am boycotting everythign with William Parker, but Carter/Ughi is an excellent combination.

This does look promising. Do you have many others from 577?

I have two - Astonishment - a duo of Carter and Ughi, and it is very good - really opened my eyes on Carter. Sparce playing with a lot of space, occasioanlly quite lyrical. Unfortunately, Ughi chooses to vocalise on a couple of tracks, and it does not contribute much to the music. Still good stuff. You can check the samples out at CD Baby and at 577 records page.

Another one is trio Ughi-Carter-Swell. It is more busy, and less original, IMO, but still very strong. Samples.

Edited by Д.Д.

At least, if you take the bannanas from your ears, you could hear (I hope) the indisputable value that sound quality brings to this record.

Why, I always listen to music with fresh bananas in my ears. Helps smoothen the rough edges, on CIMP releases, in particular. Shall I try something else? Or other banana brand?

CHIQUITA.gif

My English vocabulary is very limited, so every time I find a new word to use, I go banana.

Guest Chaney

Updated for April, PARIS Transatlantic Magazine and the What's New section of the European Free Improvisation Pages.

~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone else notice that hatART titles may no longer be limited editions? Examples: Theo Jorgensmann's Fellowship is labeled 2005, 1st edition and Warne Marsh's Ne Plus Ultra is labeled as 2006, 2nd edition.

Anyone know anything about this?

ON THE EDIT: From Werner Uehlinger, some musicians had asked that he change the wording, some with good arguments. Hat titles will remain limited editions but now without listing the total number issued.

Edited by Chaney

Having attended the Ochs - Masaoka - Lee concert that plain sucked all the way, I decided I'll check out this What We Live: "Especially the Traveler Tomorrow" (Metalanguage, 2002) CD. What We Live is Lawrence Ochs on tenor and sopranino saxophones, Lisle Ellis on bass and Donald Robinson on drums.

The disc is excellent! Ochs is a monster on both saxophones (tenor, in particular), Ellis and Robinson are a perfect rhythm section (with Robinson really dancing on drums). This is the third What We Live disc I hear, and I think this is their best one. Recorded live, excellent sound.

Shandars... Is that the Fondation Maeght material? I've listened to a handful of the shows from that European tour with Rivers and really enjoyed them. It'd be nice to see some of that released on (legit) CD.

Yes, that's it. Agreed that they should be properly issued - though CT didn't get paid for the originals either!

There's a heavy gig of that band in Rotterdam at De Doelen from the same period; Rivers is yelling his lungs out, and it's pretty intense!

I don't like the sound much either. I can see why this is collectable but maybe it is one of those holy grail recordings that doesn't quite warrant the ebay price?

You can say what ever you want about this record (one of the master piece of TAYLOR recordings). But one thing who's sure, it's his incredible sound quality.

At least, if you take the bannanas from your ears, you could hear (I hope) the indisputable value that sound quality brings to this record.

As mentioned, I do nto have the disc, so cannot add my authoritative and definitive opinion, but could it be that David refers to older edition of the album, not the remaster released last year:

Yes I was referring to the old one - I forgot that it had been remastered and reissued. That also makes my warning about paying ebay prices redundant.

Got a Leo press release. Five new releases (all look interesting), including a double CD of Joelle Leandre. I am particularly intrigued by the Frank Gratkowsky (clarinets) – Thomas Lehn (analogue synthesizer) – Melvyn Poore (tuba, euphonium) release.

Edited by Д.Д.

I don't like the sound much either. I can see why this is collectable but maybe it is one of those holy grail recordings that doesn't quite warrant the ebay price?

You can say what ever you want about this record (one of the master piece of TAYLOR recordings). But one thing who's sure, it's his incredible sound quality.

As mentioned, I do nto have the disc, so cannot add my authoritative and definitive opinion, but could it be that David refers to older edition of the album, not the remaster released last year:

Yes I was referring to the old one - I forgot that it had been remastered and reissued. That also makes my warning about paying ebay prices redundant.

Which old one? ONE TOO MANY... was first an LP box and has always sound fine among all the badly recorded CT.

And the reedition on hatOLGY didn't make the first worse with Peter Pfister in charge of the remastering.

So, I don't still get why "you don't like the sound".

Maybe it's CT that you don'y like. What is fine with me.

Edited by P.L.M

New Foghorn release:

Bruise with Derek Bailey

Derek Bailey: electric guitar

Tony Bevan: bass saxophones

Orphy Robinson: steel drum, marimbula, percussion, electronics, trumpet

John Edwards: double bass

Ashley Wales: soundscapes & electronics

Mark Sanders: drums & percussion

Recorded live at the 291 Gallery

I still don't have any Foghorn releases - waiting for Mr. Bevan to come to senses and decrease the prices on his CDs.

--------------------

I don't think Tony's out of line here. £12 is very reasonable in this country for a new CD (sadly, of course).

And he is a superb player, no doubt.

Seen a beautifull concert, yesterday: the first meeting between MICHEL DONEDA & PAUL LYTTON.

After a first set where they was mostly testing each other, they deliver in one breath a beautifull second set who had been recorded by my good friend MICKAEL W. HUON and who will give a great record.

In between the two sets, my man JACQUES FOSCHIA has deliver a short but stunning bass clarinet solo.

Suddenly, stars was shining in the grey sky of Belgium (good music makes me lyrical, sometimes).

Edited by P.L.M

Guest Chaney

Pretty exciting news, this.

From Gianni Gebbia's blog:

CD-R LABEL : OBJET A

Here's the catalogue of my new label:

OBJET A

ALTOMARIA with Luca Lo Bianco double bass - Toni Cattano trombone- Gianni Gebbia alto sax- Francesco Cusa drums

the ultimate street music from sicily !

objet A 02

MLUK with Gianni Gebbia c-melody and alto saxophones - Mohamed El Badaoui voice and percussions- Fred Casadei double bass - Vittorio Villa drums

Free Jazz + Gnawa master from sidi mimun marrakech Mohamed El Badaoui

objet a 003

BEOGRAD Terra Arsa : Gianni Gebbia alto sax objects- Miriam Palma voice perc.- Vittorio Villa drums jewish harp

Historical live in recording just before the war @ ringring festival.

objet a 004

THE PORTLAND TAPE Gianni Gebbia solo alto saxophone

Objet- a 005

CAVE OF THE TIGERS

Gianni Gebbia alto and mutant saxophone- Audrey Chen cello and vocal

objet a 005

BACHSTAGE a semiserious operetta on the life of J.S.Bach by Gianni Gebbia: electronics, cd's, lp's, keyboards, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, voice.

Eliana Avanzato voice- Angelo Strano voice.

Surreal operetta

objet a 006

ARCANA MAIOR 1.1 cd rom : visual and audio version of Arcana Maior series about tarot cards by Gianni Gebbia alto sax and images.

objet a 007

PARADOXICON Gianni Gebbia alto sax - Michael Manring electric basses

recorded in Oakland Usa.

Gianni and Michael in an intense session

objet a 008

NEW EUROPEAN SAX QUARTET live

objet a 009

DJ MAX and FAB plays GIANNI GEBBIA :huh:

The faboulous dj's Max Ferraresi and Fab Gregorio remixes Gianni Gebbia's solos in a surreal semi-sci-fi-lounge atmospheres.

objet-a 010

THE BARCELONA TAPE- EL NASTRO DE BARCELONA Gianni Gebbia alto sax -Sergi Jorda laptop

objet a 011

ILLICIT MIX - O Tolerance: G.Gebbia sa- F.Cusa drums- dj max dj fab electronics

objet a 012

ARCANA MAIOR cd-rom with music and video about Marseille Tarots

objet-a 013

LAGGIU' SOFFIA Gianni Gebbia sax - Carlo Natoli laptop

objet-a 014

TRIONACRIA LIVE IN LEIPZIG Gianni Gebbia- Francesco Cusa- Roy Paci

objet-a 015

DARUMA'S CALL - Joraku Gianni Gebbia alto sax plus objects and bird calls recorded in 2005 @ Sonoma State University Ca. by

Garth Powell - audiophile quality (Does this mean the others sound bad?)

objet-a 016

EX VOTO SUSCEPTO - Gianni Gebbia - Massimo Simonini - Tiziano Popoli- Vittorio Villa

historical recordings end of the 80's

objet-a 017

NEW THING - switters live @ La Palma Roma + wu Ming 1

objet-a 018

GIROMIRIGIRO - Gianni Gebbia alto sax - Yousif Latif Jaralla (Baghdad iraq) voice and lyrics

objet-a 019

D:SMITH-G:GEBBIA-G.POWELL-J.BLONK - live @ california dreamin' Palermo

objet-a 020

IL VIAGGIO CLANDESTINO - Terra Arsa : Gianni Gebbia - Miriam Palma- Vittorio Villa

reprint of the original soundtrack of IL Viaggio clandestino a movie by Raul Ruiz. originally published by Moremusic now out of print.

objet-a 21

coming cd's: duets with Gino Robair - duets with Stefano Giust

all items can be ordered contacting us at gebbia@giannigebbia.com

Final price will be 5€ plus shipping expenses

Edited by Chaney

Bluntly: it's long. Cecil Taylor is a fundamentally epic experience, and any CT recording with unusual dramatic currency is enough to render the basic critic nonplussed. The composition, the performance, the small group sequncing play on anticipation. Part of me thinks that the way one reacts to "one to many..." kind of depends on the kidney of the listner--some people will be bored to tears, some folks will be on the edge(s) of their seat(s). I'm in the latter category, although I wouldn't say that the playing/writing itself is superlative Taylor--not with this band, which always was remarkably consistent. I just think the length/sequencing of the performance makes very particular demands on the (home) listener--even for Cecil.

I just realized how difficult it is to navigate Funny Rat. This post will disappear.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I just realized how difficult it is to navigate Funny Rat. This post will disappear.

There is an upside and a downside to Funny Rat. Many people who would otherwise have missed your comments will read your post because it is in FR. Many other people will miss it because it is buried in FR and not in its own Cecil thread.

All posts in all threads disappear, sooner or later.

Pretty exciting news, this.

From Gianni Gebbia's blog:

CD-R LABEL : OBJET A

Here's the catalogue of my new label:

OBJET A

ALTOMARIA with Luca Lo Bianco double bass - Toni Cattano trombone- Gianni Gebbia alto sax- Francesco Cusa drums

the ultimate street music from sicily !

objet A 02

MLUK with Gianni Gebbia c-melody and alto saxophones - Mohamed El Badaoui voice and percussions- Fred Casadei double bass - Vittorio Villa drums

Free Jazz + Gnawa master from sidi mimun marrakech Mohamed El Badaoui

objet a 003

BEOGRAD Terra Arsa : Gianni Gebbia alto sax objects- Miriam Palma voice perc.- Vittorio Villa drums jewish harp

Historical live in recording just before the war @ ringring festival.

objet a 004

THE PORTLAND TAPE Gianni Gebbia solo alto saxophone

Objet- a 005

CAVE OF THE TIGERS

Gianni Gebbia alto and mutant saxophone- Audrey Chen cello and vocal

objet a 005

BACHSTAGE a semiserious operetta on the life of J.S.Bach by Gianni Gebbia: electronics, cd's, lp's, keyboards, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, voice.

Eliana Avanzato voice- Angelo Strano voice.

Surreal operetta

objet a 006

ARCANA MAIOR 1.1 cd rom : visual and audio version of Arcana Maior series about tarot cards by Gianni Gebbia alto sax and images.

objet a 007

PARADOXICON Gianni Gebbia alto sax - Michael Manring electric basses

recorded in Oakland Usa.

Gianni and Michael in an intense session

objet a 008

NEW EUROPEAN SAX QUARTET live

objet a 009

DJ MAX and FAB plays GIANNI GEBBIA :huh:

The faboulous dj's Max Ferraresi and Fab Gregorio remixes Gianni Gebbia's solos in a surreal semi-sci-fi-lounge atmospheres.

objet-a 010

THE BARCELONA TAPE- EL NASTRO DE BARCELONA Gianni Gebbia alto sax -Sergi Jorda laptop

objet a 011

ILLICIT MIX - O Tolerance: G.Gebbia sa- F.Cusa drums- dj max dj fab electronics

objet a 012

ARCANA MAIOR cd-rom with music and video about Marseille Tarots

objet-a 013

LAGGIU' SOFFIA Gianni Gebbia sax - Carlo Natoli laptop

objet-a 014

TRIONACRIA LIVE IN LEIPZIG Gianni Gebbia- Francesco Cusa- Roy Paci

objet-a 015

DARUMA'S CALL - Joraku Gianni Gebbia alto sax plus objects and bird calls recorded in 2005 @ Sonoma State University Ca. by

Garth Powell - audiophile quality (Does this mean the others sound bad?)

objet-a 016

EX VOTO SUSCEPTO - Gianni Gebbia - Massimo Simonini - Tiziano Popoli- Vittorio Villa

historical recordings end of the 80's

objet-a 017

NEW THING - switters live @ La Palma Roma + wu Ming 1

objet-a 018

GIROMIRIGIRO - Gianni Gebbia alto sax - Yousif Latif Jaralla (Baghdad iraq) voice and lyrics

objet-a 019

D:SMITH-G:GEBBIA-G.POWELL-J.BLONK - live @ california dreamin' Palermo

objet-a 020

IL VIAGGIO CLANDESTINO - Terra Arsa : Gianni Gebbia - Miriam Palma- Vittorio Villa

reprint of the original soundtrack of IL Viaggio clandestino a movie by Raul Ruiz. originally published by Moremusic now out of print.

objet-a 21

coming cd's: duets with Gino Robair - duets with Stefano Giust

all items can be ordered contacting us at gebbia@giannigebbia.com

Final price will be 5€ plus shipping expenses

:party:

Seen a beautifull concert, yesterday: the first meeting between MICHEL DONEDA & PAUL LYTTON.

After a first set where they was mostly testing each other, they deliver in one breath a beautifull second set who had been recorded by my good friend MICKAEL W. HUON and who will give a great record.

Is there a plan to release it?

---------------------

Universal France reissued a 1979 recording of Daniel Humair (drums) - David Friedman (vibes) - harvie Swarz (piano) : http://www.universalmusic.fr/servlet/Front..._id=60249824592

Edited by Д.Д.

There is an upside and a downside to Funny Rat. Many people who would otherwise have missed your comments will read your post because it is in FR. Many other people will miss it because it is buried in FR and not in its own Cecil thread.

All posts in all threads disappear, sooner or later.

Didn't mean to sound snarky--the pace is a bit of the fun, anyhow (a real discussion, for a change). Regardless, I wouldn't call it a personal disservice to avoid FR altogether--it's the proverbial Organissimo kitchen (and stay out, if you don't want to get burned). It's hard enough to quick scan, let alone post (I'll always admire the regulars, anyhow :) ).