Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks, gnhrtg! I´ll take your comments into consideration when listening to those discs, as I´m a newbie to this kind of jazz.

IMO, when listeninng the only thing one should take into consideration is the music itself. No comments, recommendations or "explanations" (even from the renown gurus of noise as ourselves) mean anything at that point.

Another story is when you are thinking what to spend your $$$ on. Then, your best bet is to trust our "taste" ;).

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, gnhrtg! I´ll take your comments into consideration when listening to those discs, as I´m a newbie to this kind of jazz.

IMO, when listeninng the only thing one should take into consideration is the music itself. No comments, recommendations or "explanations" (even from the renown gurus of noise as ourselves) mean anything at that point.

:tup:tup:tup

Good point. Also, as someone has recently posted in some other thread, it's often hard to tell what's supposed to be good in this musical area. Most important is that you listen to what you like, and you will see your taste will change, or rather, develop, with time.

Another story is when you are thinking what to spend your $$$ on. Then, your best bet is to trust our "taste" ;).

:g:g:g

If you stay around here, you will soon know which of our tastes suits you best. Some around here like William Parker... :wacko::blink::rolleyes:;):w

ubu

I just received a copy of a show Susie Ibarra did with Evan Parker back in 2001. My review?

Jaw-droppingly good. This is some of the best work I have heard from Ibarra and Parker is, to my ears, really working well with her, listening and responding, and not at all dominating the proceedings.

If any of my Funny Rat friends would like a copy send me a PM. I also received a recording of Susie's trio with Craig Taborn and Jennifer Choi, recorded later the same year. I have not yet had time to listen to that disc. Let me know if you would like that one included as well.

CD LR 305 - Parker / Guy / Lytton / Schlippenbach / Lovens : 2 x 3 = 5 is sold out

I don't have any of those (all except Crispell were on THE LIST for a long time), but all look good. Gotta start the hunt again.

Did you ever get a chance to hear this one? I just did for the first time and am very impressed.

I finally listened to this one (quite attentively, for once), and I didn't like it too much. The main problem for me is Parker. He is mostly playing tenor here (which I niormally prefer to his all-too-predictable soprano). His technical ability is stunning and I enjoy his his powerful, and somehow very "compressed" tenor sound (as if he is strangling the tenor). However, his ideas here are not particualrly interesting to me - he sticks to very short similar-length (a couple of seconds) phrases with a short (also constant-lengh) pause between them. Each phrase is nice in itself, but as it is short, I don't hear much of development, and as these phrases are actually quite similar this start-stop pattern becomes tireing pretty quickly. Neither Schlippenback nor Guy add any original ideas (Schlippenback particularly seems subdued and seems to be going through motions most of the time). The most interestingg thing is iteraction of the drummers - here the sparks fly. I know that they recorded some duos, and this is what I'll be buying soon.$

---------------------------

Gonna hear The Thing (Gustafsson, Nielsen-Love, Jansen) tonight. I was not too impressed by their discs, but I really want to see Nielsen-Love live

Edited by Д.Д.

Gonna hear The Thing (Gustafsson, Nielsen-Love, Jansen) tonight. I was not too impressed by their discs, but I really want to see Nielsen-Love live

If it really is Jansen instead of Haker-Flaten, I'm jealous already as I always thought that Jansen would be better suited to this trio. That said, I like their discs anyway. Please let us know, D.D - well, I'm curious.

Nilssen-Love, I think I saw 4-5 times live and he both amazes and at times brings a smile of disbelief to one's face. I remember telling him once that not only did I really like the his playing but that he also was a freak to watch - he seemed to be amused by the comment, best as I could tell!

If it really is Jansen instead of Haker-Flaten, I'm jealous already as I always thought that Jansen would be better suited to this trio. That said, I like their discs anyway. Please let us know, D.D - well, I'm curious.

Nilssen-Love, I think I saw 4-5 times live and he both amazes and at times brings a smile of disbelief to one's face. I remember telling him once that not only did I really like the his playing but that he also was a freak to watch - he seemed to be amused by the comment, best as I could tell!

My mistake - it's Haker-Flaten.

Have you guys heard the Burton Greene disc, "Live at Grasland." It's rather good. Mostly solo if I recall correctly.

Also the Paul Dunmall/Paul Rodgers on Emanem.

Both are relatively recent.

-Matt

I agree, Burtone Greene is very good - with all its melodical and rhythmical Jewish influences and that. It's all solo. My only complaint is that the first piece is so strong, that all the rest somewhat pales in comparison. Drimala website should have mp3s of it.

Dunmall / Rogers I haven't heard, but will get it eventually.

Polish label NotTwo released a new Cosmosamatics Trio disc: Reeds and Birds. For those of you who don't know, Cosmosamatics is an excellent band of

Sonny Simmons - alto sax, English horn, vocals

Michael Marcus - tenor sax, saxello, Bb clarinet

Jay Rosen - drums

at the core. Previously there was a bassist also (on two Boxholder releases and on Bleu Regard live disc), but looks like for now it is a trio.

http://www.nottwo.com/PelnaPlyta.php?Id=292&W=0&Od=&Off=

I will be in Poland next week, and will try to pick up some of the NotTwo releases. Let me know of you are interested in anything. COmplete NotTwo catalog: http://www.nottwo.com/Katalog.php?ws=0&Typ=NT&W=0

David, I missed this post when you originally wrote it. Knowing your affectation for solo bass records, may I direct your attention to this interesting-looking one?

http://www.nottwo.com/PelnaPlyta.php?Id=1&W=&Od=&Off=

Oles is a very fine player, so this disc could be good. He sat in with Brad Mehldau's trio, for instance, and seems to be one of the best Polish bass players (I believe he exiled, but I'm not sure).

my drimala order:

DR0576BXH $4.99 1 Continental Jazz Express

DR0875ERST $4.99 1 What A Wonderful World

DR0903MUS $4.99 1 Out Twice

DR0919ERST $4.99 1 Time Travel

Thanks for your offer, Tony, but with 20$ plus shipping customs should not be a problem, so I ordered them directly.

Anyone knows about their shipping fees? They charge me 4.50$, which is what's displayed before you enter your address (when the website/calculation supposedly believes your ordering from teh US). Do they have same shipping fees for US/Overseas?

my drimala order:

Thanks for your offer, Tony, but with 20$ plus shipping customs should not be a problem, so I ordered them directly.

Anyone knows about their shipping fees? They charge me 4.50$, which is what's displayed before you enter your address (when the website/calculation supposedly believes your ordering from teh US). Do they have same shipping fees for US/Overseas?

Their overseas shipping is quite high. Check it in the backoffice section of the site.

my drimala order:

Their overseas shipping is quite high. Check it in the backoffice section of the site.

10.50$ makes more sense, thanks!

David, I missed this post when you originally wrote it. Knowing your affectation for solo bass records, may I direct your attention to this interesting-looking one?

Oles is a very fine player, so this disc could be good. He sat in with Brad Mehldau's trio, for instance, and seems to be one of the best Polish bass players (I believe he exiled, but I'm not sure).

This one looks tasty!

This one looks tasty!

Get two of them if you have a chance to listen and like it, please!

I don't know about that trio you mentioned, never actually heard them!

This one looks tasty!

But you've heard Sonny Simmons, haven't you?

This one looks tasty!

Nothing except this one:

B00009Y31A.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This one looks tasty!

Nothing except this one:

B00009Y31A.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Come on Flurin, this is the weakest Simmons CD! During the Weekend I will try to do an overview of Simmons stuff I have. SImmons is monster musician, with totally original style and vision.

my drimala order:

10.50$ makes more sense, thanks!

Get the new Radical Grace Vol. 1 compilation. You won't be disappointed.

Also, I think you all would really enjoy Rudresh Mahanthappa's newest on Pi Recordings, Mother Tongue. Same group as from Black Water.

John B is a big fan of Mahanthappa.

I've yet to hear him.  (Mahanthappa, that is.  'Course, I've also never heard John.  :blink: )

I'll have to send around a cdr of myself singing showtunes acapella while Mother Tongue plays in the background.

:excited:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ONE FINAL NOTE OP-ED: Overblown : Reflections On The Old New Thing --- by Adam Hill