Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gonna hear The Thing (Gustafsson, Nielsen-Love, Haker-Flaten) tonight. I was not too impressed by their discs, but I really want to see Nielsen-Love live

Saw The THing - more or less what I had expected. Gustafsson played tenor and baritone exclusively, doing mostly fire-music screeming and wailing, and spitting out these patented jethammer-fast flurries of sound (I don't know how the man does it - what are these 1/64 notes? 1/128th?). I didn't like it too much, franky. I don't think that Gustafsson is a particularly good screamer - the (unique) chops are there, but I just don't here enough ideas for it to be interesting and not enough emotion to be engaging. In gneral, from hearing Gustafsson several times live and on several Cs, I feel he is more of an intellectual-European-academic-sound-explorer type of muscian, as opposed to American fire music type of spiritual screemer. So, I mostly enjoyed Gustafsson in those very few moments when he did some rather quiet and slow breathing and various extended techniques sound experiments. It wasn't as bad as David S. Ware who I saw recently, but the question of relevance of such music kept bugging me throughout the concert. At the same time, Gustafsson has to be seen live at least once if only for his super-human technique (he broke the reeds every 10 minutes) and his powerful tornado sound (without mich umplification he was heard VERY LOUD at the other side of the 20-meter hall).

Haker-Flatten was inaudible for the first part of the concert - then the sound engeneer woke up and turned the know up a bit. He was good and quite diverse, but not something particularly outstanding.

What was outstnding, was of course Paal Nielsen-Love's drumming. He was the main reason I came to the show, and the man delivered! Beautiful, beautiful playing with enough wit, intellect and surprise to compensate for other shortcomings of the concert. Hope we will record a solo one day (or duo with another drummer!).

What was outstnding, was of course Paal Nielsen-Love's drumming. He was the main reason I came to the show, and the man delivered! Beautiful, beautiful playing with enough wit, intellect and surprise to compensate for other shortcomings of the concert. Hope we will record a solo one day (or duo with another drummer!).

Thanks for that review, D.D. I, too, sometimes think that Gustafsson's (more unique) strength is the abstract player-sound explorer in him and that he should also document that side more - that is usually much more prevalent in his solo or duo playing.

I don't know what you mean when you say "we," and you probably know this already but Nilssen-Love already has a solo disc out there "Sticks and Stones" is the title, iirc, and it's on Sofa. Haven't heard it yet.

Nielsen-Love impressed the hell out of me this summer with the Brotzmann Tenet in Austin, TX. The Thing played a day or so later but I was unable to attend. Actually, at the time, I didn't know that he was in that group as well or I would have found a way to make it there.

9:00am, the morning after that Thing show....

Tim: "You didn't go to The Thing."

Brandon: "I know. I had too much stuff to do."

Tim: "You f*cked up."

speaking of Sonny Simmons (a few posts back), I just found out that he is coming to Vermont with the Cosmosamatics. This lineup features him with Michael Marcus, bassist Masa Kamaguchi and drummer Jay Rosen. I still have not decided if I will go to the show or not, but I am very tempted.

Has anyone seen this lineup recently?

I don't know what you mean when you say "we," and you probably know this already but Nilssen-Love already has a solo disc out there "Sticks and Stones" is the title, iirc, and it's on Sofa. Haven't heard it yet.

Oh, "we" is "he", of course. Thanks for heads up on Nielsen-Love solo - I didn't know he has one, and this is going to be my next purchse. Gotta find a way to buy Sofa CDs at reasonable prices.

one of the discs I picked up at DMG was John Lindberg's A Tree Frog Tonality.

e39703eqgi8.jpg

with Wadada Leo Smith, Larry Ochs and Ed Thigpen.

A big thumbs up for this one! This is a great disc. Highly recommended.

I don't have this one, but I have another one by the same band: The Catbird Sings (Soul Note, 2000) and it's an excellent disc.

e32151v60jy.jpg

I will pick up the between the lines disc eventualy - I wonder how it is different from the Soul Note one.

From Paal Nilssen-Love's website:

Upcoming releases

Steve Hubback and Paal Nilssen-Love "off the map"

Recorded in Oslo, August 2003. To be released within 2004 on FMR.

http://www.fmr-records.com

Lasse Marhaug/Paal Nilssen-Love "Personal Hygiene" Recorded in Oslo, August 2004. To be released on My Ears rec. in vinter 2005.

Lars Göran Ullander/Palle Danielson/Paal Nilssen-Love "Live at Glenn Miller Cafè"

Recorded in Stockholm at Glenn Miller Cafè, late August 2004. To be released on Ayler Records in 2005.

http://www.ayler.com

Town House Orchestra "Live at the Townorchestra´s house" Evan Parker, Sten Sandell, Ingebrigt Flaten, Paal Nilssen-Love. Recorded at the Kongsberg Jazzfestival, July 2002 To be released on Clean Feed in spring of 2005

Jeb Bishop/Paal Nilssen-Love "TBA" Recorded in Chicago, September 2004, to be released on vinyl only (Д.Д.: now, what the fuck is all that vinyl-only thing? first these Okka and brö releases, then this shit. Why limiting your already not-too-large audience?! I want to hear the Biship-Love duo! Gotta write the man a wrathful e-mail.) on My Ears records in spring 2005.

Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet, "Be Music Night" featuring 10 poems by Kenneth Patchen, read by Mike Person. Recorded in Chicago, November 2004, to be releases on Okkkadisk in May 2005

http://www.okkadisk.com

Territory Band 4, "TBA" Recorded in Chicago, September 2004, to be released on Okkadisk in October 2005

http://www.okkadisk.com

John Butcher/Paal Nilssen-Love "TBA"

Recorded live in Oslo, 2001 To be released on Clean Feed early 2006

Edited by Д.Д.

Got my Drimala sale package, and listendd to the first disc:

Alan Silva / Oluyemi Thomas "Transmissions" (Eremite)

VERY impressed. Captivating bass / reeds duo. I knew SIlva was a monster bassist, but Thomas is a new discovery for me. The man burned on bas clarinet and C-meloidy saxophone. Excellent interplay and very good recording quality. Gotta get more Thomas.

Eremite page: http://www.eremite.com/discography/transmissions27.html

OFN review: http://www.onefinalnote.com/reviews/s/silv...ansmissions.asp

Edited by Д.Д.

f94753zg6bm.jpg

Triage - Twenty Minute Cliff

Triage is:

Dave Rempis - sax

Jason Ajemian - bass

Tim Daisy - drums

I just received this one from Chuck Nessa, as part of his Okka sale. I listened to it while driving to the vets and back this morning. I'm guessing that it wasn't this disc that made one of our cats vomit copiously, as the music is fantastic! I'd heard a lot about Triage for a while and I'm very glad I finally got around to checking them out. I also bought their most recent disc, American Mythology, dn will give that one a listen later on tonight.

Twenty Minute Cliff is very highly recommended by me.

Cleaning up cat vomit is not.

VERY impressed. Captivating bass / reeds duo. I knew SIlva was a monster bassist, but Thomas is a new discovery for me. The man burned on bas clarinet and C-meloidy saxophone. Excellent interplay and very good recording quality. Gotta get more Thomas.

I'm glad to hear this. I took a chance and grabbed this, too. I figured it would be hard to go wrong for $5. I'm looking forward to hearing this one now.

I also bought the disc you highly recommended, but have not had time to listen to it yet. I will post my thoughts once I have some time to listen to them.

one of the discs I picked up at DMG was John Lindberg's A Tree Frog Tonality.

e39703eqgi8.jpg

with Wadada Leo Smith, Larry Ochs and Ed Thigpen.

A big thumbs up for this one! This is a great disc. Highly recommended.

I've got this disc, too, and it is indeed very good! Will have to check out more of Lindberg's recordings!

I'm glad to hear this. I took a chance and grabbed this, too. I figured it would be hard to go wrong for $5. I'm looking forward to hearing this one now.

I also bought the disc you highly recommended, but have not had time to listen to it yet. I will post my thoughts once I have some time to listen to them.

Why didn't you tell me BEFORE I sent in my order? :angry:

speaking of Sonny Simmons (a few posts back), I just found out that he is coming to Vermont with the Cosmosamatics. This lineup features him with Michael Marcus, bassist Masa Kamaguchi and drummer Jay Rosen. I still have not decided if I will go to the show or not, but I am very tempted.

Has anyone seen this lineup recently?

John, you absolutely have to go. I don't know this bassist, but with Simmons and Marcus you cannot go wrong - both are monster musicians (and Simmons is 70 already!) , and their interplay is invigorating.

If they are selling Simmons' CDs, make sure you pick up "Global Jungle" - it's a fairly rare Simmons record from '80s and it's a beautiful one.

John, you absolutely have to go. I don't know this bassist, but with Simmons and Marcus you cannot go wrong - both are monster musicians (and Simmons is 70 already!) , and their interplay is invigorating.

If they are selling Simmons' CDs, make sure you pick up "Global Jungle" - it's a fairly rare Simmons record from '80s and it's a beautiful one.

Weather permitting I'll try to make this show. I'm not so sure I can convince my wife to go with me, although she will be going to Fred Anderson / Hamid Drake / William Parker with me. I'll keep an eye open for that disc. I don't own any Sonny Simmons right now, although I just ordered Firebirds, with the artist formerly known as Prince Lasha.

Parker/Akchoté/Casserley/Ryan Live at les instants chavires (Leo)

I thought this one was quite weak. There should be my sort-of-review somewhere up wen we discussed Evan Parker - a couple of dozen pages above.

Don't know the Silva thing. What reissue is that? - if ZYX I would sugest you skip it, as they have dreadful remastering.