Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Hold me... I'm afraid.

David:  This Gebbia makes me shiver with fear.  What might someone lacking your hardened nerves expect from this offering?  In your great knowledge on what I like, would I like?

ON THE EDIT:  For those who may not be multi-ling-gwool like me...

Fabio Basile: chitarra = GEE-tar  :crazy:

Gianni Gebbia: alto sax

Giorgio Pacorig: piano

Enrico Terragnoli: basso

Zeno de Rossi: batteria

Tony, I have no idea what to expect. I understand there is some klezmer and some metal <_< . I do indeed hope the guitar will turn out to be GUITARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The idea of Gebbia and Speed together (hopefully they perform on the same track) is exciting - would be interesting to hear Gebbia performing with another strong reeds player (if they don't play on the same tracks still should be good as I like Speed a lot).

Looks like there are some RA samples from the older (2001) release here. Myself, can't listen to RA on my computer.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

(...)

Looks like there are some RA samples from the older (2001) release here. Myself, can't listen to RA on my computer.

Thanks for finding those samples, David.

Just had a listen and, while the presentation is decidedly lo-fi, can't say that I'd find myself wanting to listen to this type of material very often.

i just enjoyed this one from CIMP:

CIMP 269 David Taylor (bass trombone) Trio with Dominic Duval (bass), Jay Rosen (drums)

Doppelganger

Dave Taylor is a legend among trombonists. The King of the Bass Trombone, he's been on hundreds of commercial recordings. What many don't realize is that Dave's creative improvised impulses are mighty but largely untapped. Here he shows that his technique can go head to head with his imagination and everyone benefits. This tour de force ends with a wonderful take on "Home On the Range." Recorded May 9 & 10, 2002.

Double Tear - I'm Not Cool, Too! - Leisured Enfilade - Tri-Tiered Timbred Tribute To a Muse - To Amuse(Ette) - Psyamba - To Rahsaan - Portrait Take One: Do You Have Stigmata From Your Alma Mater - Portrait Take Two: Within - You're Not Cool! - Very Distant Voices - Whirligig - Hurdly-Gertie (Musette) - Om On De Range

you can find it here:

http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/cimpcat.html

:tup

Edited by Bright Moments

CIMP 269 David Taylor (bass trombone) Trio with Dominic Duval (bass), Jay Rosen (drums)

Doppelganger

Dave Taylor is a legend among trombonists. The King of the Bass Trombone, he's been on hundreds of commercial recordings. What many don't realize is that Dave's creative improvised impulses are mighty but largely untapped. Here he shows that his technique can go head to head with his imagination and everyone benefits. This tour de force ends with a wonderful take on "Home On the Range." Recorded May 9 & 10, 2002.

Double Tear - I'm Not Cool, Too! - Leisured Enfilade - Tri-Tiered Timbred Tribute To a Muse - To Amuse(Ette) - Psyamba - To Rahsaan - Portrait Take One: Do You Have Stigmata From Your Alma Mater - Portrait Take Two: Within - You're Not Cool! - Very Distant Voices - Whirligig - Hurdly-Gertie (Musette) - Om On De Range

you can find it here:

Dave Taylor is featured on excellent CD by Absolute Ensemble called Absolution (Enja Winkelmann): http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-9394

Highly recommended if you are interested in exploring combination of 20th century academic orchestral music with improvisation. Besides Taylor this disc features Denman Maroney on impressive prepared piano.

Besides Taylor this disc features Denman Maroney on impressive prepared piano.

I'm only familiar with Denman Maroney from one of the earliest discs on Erstwhile, Fire Song. This discs is half solo tracks and half duets with alto player Earl Howard. I've never been too impressed with this disc, but I was listening to it as a disc on Erstwhile, perhaps hoping to hear some top notch eai, which it is not, rather than judging it on its own merits.

Doppelganger

you can find it here:

Dave Taylor is featured on excellent CD by Absolute Ensemble called Absolution (Enja Winkelmann): http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-9394

Highly recommended if you are interested in exploring combination of 20th century academic orchestral music with improvisation. Besides Taylor this disc features Denman Maroney on impressive prepared piano.

i certainly will check this out, THANKS!!! :)

I'm only familiar with Denman Maroney from one of the earliest discs on Erstwhile, Fire Song. This discs is half solo tracks and half duets with alto player Earl Howard. I've never been too impressed with this disc, but I was listening to it as a disc on Erstwhile, perhaps hoping to hear some top notch eai, which it is not, rather than judging it on its own merits.

This is a pretty weak disc, IMO. For good Maroney, check out Mark Dresser's "Aquifer" on Cryptogrammophone.

Edited by Д.Д.

Doppelganger

you can find it here:

i certainly will check this out, THANKS!!! :)

Website of Absolute Ensemble: http://www.absoluteensemble.com/

This is a pretty weak disc, IMO. For good Maroney, check out Mark Dresser's "Aquifer" on Cryptogrammophone.

Was looking through the Denman Maroney website and found a link to Einstein records. Anybody's familiar with any of its releases?

I ncase anybody's interrsted in Baroque period music, amazon.de has a sale for Deutsche harmonia mundi "Baroque Esprit" series - €5 (€4.3 for non-EU citizens!). Search for Dhm (Sony BMG), and then sort by "preis aufsteigend" so that low-prices CDs are listed first. Monteverdi madrigales are essential.

I just received an email from the label Potlach that they are having a sale for the month of June.:

"SPECIAL SALE on POTLATCH website.

All back catalogue CDs : 12 euros (double CD : 15 euros)

New release (Trio Sowari / P105) : 15 euros

Shipping is free. Any country in the world."

The only disc on this label that I have heard is Keith Rowe / Evan Parker - Dark Rags, which I highly recommend.

I just received an email from the label Potlach that they are having a sale for the month of June.:

"SPECIAL SALE on POTLATCH website.

All back catalogue CDs : 12 euros (double CD : 15 euros)

New release (Trio Sowari / P105) : 15 euros

Shipping is free. Any country in the world."

The only disc on this label that I have heard is Keith Rowe / Evan Parker - Dark Rags, which I highly recommend.

Thanks for the heads-up, John.

I, in turn, would highly recommend Hautes Plateaux by Carlos Zingaro / Daunik Lazro.

Guest Chaney

Currently: 12.00 EUR = 14.6702 USD.

That's a nice price.

The only Potlatch title that I have is Madly You with Daunik Lazro l Carlos Alves "Zingaro" l Joëlle Léandre l Paul Lovens. Still haven't warmed up to this one but it's still due a listen or two.

Currently: 12.00 EUR = 14.6702 USD.

That's a nice price.

The only Potlatch title that I have is Madly You with Daunik Lazro l Carlos Alves "Zingaro" l Joëlle Léandre l Paul Lovens.  Still haven't warmed up to this one but it's still due a listen or two.

The Stephane Rives is great. & the Butcher/Charles/Doerner too. I remember the Phosphor as being hard work. The Agnel/Noettinger/whatshisface is pretty nifty. I've actually never heard the Parker/Rowe--keep meaning to get it. I gather it gets mixed reactions from fans of either man.

Agreed on Stephane Rives's Fibres and Buthcer/Dorner/Charles's The Contest of Pleaures. I also remember enjoying Lacy/Bailey's The Outcome but will try to listen to it again soon and report back here. How about the recent Bosetti/Lazro/and who was it disc Place something, any opinions on that. Keep the recommendations coming so even if not now, I'll know what to look for later.

not to rain on Jacques' parade, but we stock Potlatch CDs for $13 (not including shipping). we have a fair amount of the catalog in stock (not the new one yet, Trio Sowari, Beins/Denzler/Durrant).

I'm guessing he won't care where the sales come from, as long as the discs sell.

Seeing Jon's post reminded me that there will be two new discs releases on Erstwhile in six days. A duo of Tetuzi Akiyama and Günter Müller as well as a disc by Julien Ottavi and Dion Workman. I'm a huge fan of Günter Müller, and have enjoyed all of the Akiyama I have heard so far. I am much less familiar with Ottavi and Workman, other than greatly enjoying Workman's solo disc Ching.

Great cover art for the first one, titled Points and Slashes:

Edited by John B

not to rain on Jacques' parade, but we stock Potlatch CDs for $13 (not including shipping). we have a fair amount of the catalog in stock (not the new one yet, Trio Sowari, Beins/Denzler/Durrant).

I'm guessing he won't care where the sales come from, as long as the discs sell.

I suppose he will ;).

Well, I'm guessing that he prefers sales to no sales but direct sales to sales through distributors. Anyway, I wouldn't know for the US of A but for those in Europe the Potlatch deal comes up being cheaper (unless you get around 10 discs from Ertswhile amnd/or Erstdist).

One more Potlatch I have: Derek Bailey/Joelle Leandre's No Waiting. I hope to spin both this and Outcome tonight.

On the cover of Points and Slashes - that look curiously similar, I'm guessing intentionally, to a a work by a contemporary, 20th century, painter (I can't seem to recall the artist's/work's name but perhaps someone will). In any case, I like the cover as well - will get to hear the music when I have some spare money near the end of summer, I guess.

Well, I'm guessing that he prefers sales to no sales but direct sales to sales through distributors. Anyway, I wouldn't know for the US of A but for those in Europe the Potlatch deal comes up being cheaper (unless you get around 10 discs from Ertswhile amnd/or Erstdist).

Hi everybody,

I just discover this board now :-). Thank you for your comments.

In fact, I don't want to be cheaper than distributors or mail orders because I want to give them the priority for selling. Except for this month of june with this promo sale.

And there is the problem of euro which makes prices higher now.

Jacques

Hi everybody,

I just discover this board now :-). Thank you for your comments.

In fact, I don't want to be cheaper than distributors or mail orders because I want to give them the priority for selling. Except for this month of june with this promo sale.

And there is the problem of euro which makes prices higher now.

Jacques

Great to see you here, Jacques!

I just placed an order for 6 CDs - looking forward to hearing them.