Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flurin, I think this Lacy disc is scippable - mostly due to not-too-original playing by CHarles and Boykins.

I think this is a VERY unfortunate response.

Care to expand for those of us who haven't heard NY Capers and might consider picking up a copy?

I assume Chuck simply disagrees (and I guess greatly so) with David's opinion?

Thanks for weighing in, Chuck! I will try and get a copy, anyway, if I can find it reasonably prized!

Here's an article by much-maligned Francis Davis on Iyer/Mahanthappa, in case you didn't see it yourself yet.

Gave a listen to another disc from my "unheard Leos"-pile:

332.jpg

Like it a lot! The two Japanese have quite a broad range, lots of it sound mediterranean, Actis Dato is often playing quite simple stuff (not much free playing, if at all, not much pyrotechnical stuff).

Just a fun disc, I think one that I will return to with pleasure!

Have any of you had a chance to explore the group Mujician yet?

I've picked up a few of their discs and have yet to be diappointed. Fantastic playing by all involved. (Keith Tippett, Paul Rogers, Tony Levin and Paul Dunmall)

d90673xby9s.jpg

This isn't easy listening, at over 70 minutes of sometimes dense, fiery playing, but, when I am ready for such things, the music is exceptional.

Guest Chaney

Listened to and enjoyed my emusic download of One More Time - Steve Lacy and Joelle Leandre.  With emusic you miss liner notes, so I'm wondering if anyone might post a translation of the French phone message that ends the CD.  The final "Love you baby, au revoir" needs no translating and is a touching ending.

I'm really looking forward to hearing this one. I'm just waiting for CD Universe to list the late-May Leos for pre-ordering.

The Lacy / Leandre is now up for pre-ordering -- along with two others Leos set for June 21 release -- at CD Universe.

~~~~~~~~~~~

John: I own no Mujician. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid as Dunmall's Ghostly Thoughts is too violent even for my ears.

John:  I own no Mujician.  To be honest, I'm a bit afraid as Dunmall's Ghostly Thoughts is too violent even for my ears.

I'll have to relisten to Ghostly Thoughts. I wouldn't describe Mujician as "violent," so perhaps you would enjoy them more. I'll let you know what I think after relistening to GT.

Today's tip: Adam Lane Trio (w/ Vinny Golia, Vijay Anderson), Zero Degree Music, on CIMP--hot stuff indeed, one of the more exciting discs to hit my stereo in the past couple weeks. Excellent sound too (I add this for the benefit of CIMPophobes).

The other interesting thing to cross my path has been the reissued London Concert by Derek Bailey & Evan Parker--great to hear this date at last.

What label was it reissued on? EMANEM, I guess?

I'm not Nate Dorward, but it's on PSI, meaning than it's "nearly" EMANEM.

There's an interesting batch comming from the twins labels with the PARKER/BAILEY, a magnificent SPONTANEOUS MUSIC ENSEMBLE: A NEW DISTANCE (EMANEM) from 1994, few weeks/months before the premature death of JOHN STEVENS (it's with ROGER SMITH and JOHN BUTCHER), URS LEIMGRUBER/ JACQUES DEMIERRE/ BARRE PHILLIPS: LDP - COLOGNE (PSI) dealing with microtonality and that I like a lot (more, if I have to compare with, than the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FISH, to say the truth), a strange and not so interesting PAUL RUTHERFORD: ISKRA 3 (PSI) with a pseudo EAI electronic background provided by ROBERT JARVIS & LAWRENCE CASSERLEY), and a killer FREE BASE (ALAN WILKINSON/ MARCIO MATTOS/ STEVE NOBLE): THE INS AND OUT (EMANEM) who burns everything on his way up.

I don't hear Ghostly Thoughts as a violent recording - in fact I think it is Dunmall at his most striking

as far as Mujician - Colours Fulfilled and Birdman are extraordinary recordings - again Dunmall is in prime form - I think Birdman is more intially satidfying while Clours rewards more repeated listenings

Are any of you familiar with Tim Berne's duo cd with cellist Hank Roberts Cause & Reflect? It was released on "Level Green" records, who I am not familiar with, in 1998. I just won a cheap used copy of this on ebay and will be listening for the first time today.

e92995z0108.jpg

The AMG review is rapturous but, given the reviewer, I am hesitant to take it at face value.

Are any of you familiar with Tim Berne's duo cd with cellist Hank Roberts Cause & Reflect?  It was released on "Level Green" records, who I am not familiar with, in 1998.  I just won a cheap used copy of this on ebay and will be listening for the first time today.

e92995z0108.jpg

The AMG review is rapturous but, given the reviewer, I am hesitant to take it at face value.

Still haven't listened to it.

Are any of you familiar with Tim Berne's duo cd with cellist Hank Roberts Cause & Reflect?  It was released on "Level Green" records, who I am not familiar with, in 1998.  I just won a cheap used copy of this on ebay and will be listening for the first time today.

e92995z0108.jpg

I like it a lot. Quite different from the usual "conceptual" BERNE.

Edited by P.L.M

Yeah, A New Distance is great--I have the original issue but the new one adds a fair bit of material from a different session (haven't listened to the new stuff though).

The Iskra^3 disc I turned off after about 10 minutes, I found it pretty annoying, but will try to give it a fair shake at least. I'm not a big fan of that kind of improv with an acoustic instrument in an electronic hall of mirrors (see my remarks earlier on The Root of the Moment).

e92995z0108.jpg

I like it a lot. Quite different from the usual "conceptual" BERNE.

Still haven't listened to it.

As soon as the cd I am listening to ends I will put it on. I'll let you know what I think.

I am getting curious, given that my favorite Berne CD is another duo Ornery People (Little Brother) with Michael Formanek.

According to the Gianni Gebbia website, there is a new release by the Full Metal Klezmer band of which he is a member, called Sachor. From what I found the band is:

Fabio Basile: chitarra

Gianni Gebbia: alto sax

Giorgio Pacorig: piano

Enrico Terragnoli: basso

Zeno de Rossi: batteria

Guests include Chris Speed ( :tup ), Vince Vasi and Achille Succi.

"Metal". :crazy:

I will get it for sure.

Guest Chaney

Hold me... I'm afraid.

David: This Gebbia makes me shiver with fear. What might someone lacking your hardened nerves expect from this offering? In your great knowledge on what I like, would I like?

ON THE EDIT: For those who may not be multi-ling-gwool like me...

Fabio Basile: chitarra = GEE-tar :crazy:

Gianni Gebbia: alto sax

Giorgio Pacorig: piano

Enrico Terragnoli: basso

Zeno de Rossi: batteria

Edited by Chaney