Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

You can catch six minutes of Peter Brotzmann being interviewed and playing with the 'Die Like a Dog' unit last November in Toulouse, southern France, on this archived video from the local TV station OC-TV:

http://www.oc-tv.net/fr/

Go to 'Arts et Cultures inside the OC-TV Interactive section on the right side of the screen, scroll down to 'TV Jazz Pluriel' and click on Video.

There are a couple of other interesting goodies in the archives!

Edited by brownie

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW a little writeup on an album that may be of interest to the Funny Rat faithful--

http://www.bagatellen.com/archives/row/000891.html

Just listening to Eugene Chadbourne's The Hills Have Jazz..... I'm not a huge Chadbourne fan but this one is surprisingly, uh, listenable. No singing, no electric rakes, no mildly-funny-but-not-all-that-funny routines, just a bundle of covers of tunes by Dolphy, Dameron, Sun Ra, &c. Not brilliant but it's just nice to hear Eugene shut up'n play his guitar once in a while.

Just listening to Eugene Chadbourne's The Hills Have Jazz..... I'm not a huge Chadbourne fan but this one is surprisingly, uh, listenable.  No singing, no electric rakes, no mildly-funny-but-not-all-that-funny routines, just a bundle of covers of tunes by Dolphy, Dameron, Sun Ra, &c.  Not brilliant but it's just nice to hear Eugene shut up'n play his guitar once in a while.

It's in my incoming indiejazz order (together with the Scott Rosenberg 482 release). Also nt a big fan of Chadbourne in general, but the man can play and when he is focused he can be really brillaint.

------------------

Regarding the CD you review at Bagatellen - I have it (and I also was somewhat bemused by the packaging - talk about pretentious), but haven't listened to it yet. I gave very high expectations (becoming an ardent Jack Wright fan), so I need to allocate a quality listening time to that one, as it deserves.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Thanks brownie for the Brotz link. I'll have a look/listen to that once I get home.

Nice review, Nate. I've had my eye on that release for a while but have yet to pull the trigger.

This band played in Buffalo not too long ago and while I had to miss the show, I was tempted to at least drive to the hall, park, run inside and buy the CD. Can't you just see me bursting into the packed ( ;) ) hall, gasping for breath, waving my money overhead, shrieking: I CAN'T STAY! CAN I JUST BUY THE CD?!

On Chadbourne, I've been tempted many times to ask for recommendations but it's been my sense that few would recommend too many of his recordings, due to his -- as ignorantly perceived by me -- asinine behavior.

Thanks brownie for the Brotz link. I'll have a look/listen to that once I get home.

Nice review, Nate. I've had my eye on that release for a while but have yet to pull the trigger.

This band played in Buffalo not too long ago and while I had to miss the show, I was tempted to at least drive to the hall, park, run inside and buy the CD. Can't you just see me bursting into the packed ( ;) ) hall, gasping for breath, waving my money overhead, shrieking: I CAN'T STAY! CAN I JUST BUY THE CD?!

On Chadbourne, I've been tempted many times to ask for recommendations but it's been my sense that few would recommend too many of his recordings, due to his -- as ignorantly perceived by me -- asinine behavior.

I have a few (5-6) Chadbourne's CDs, and I remeber that I liked at least a couple (one duo with Paul Lovens in particular). Surely enough, I don't rememebr the titles. I'll get home, will go through them and will post here.

Can anyone comment on Scelsi and/or the rather extensive offerings on Mode?

Harvard's WHRB is starting their Spring orgies again, and one of them will be on Giacinto Scelsi. Schedule here and webcast link here.

Also of interest are the Abdullah Ibrahim, Joe Lovano, five Russian composers (Mily Balakirev, Alexander Borodin, César Cui, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and Modest Mussorgsky) Charlie Parker and Tokyo jazz.

Can anyone comment on Scelsi and/or the rather extensive offerings on Mode?

Harvard's WHRB is starting their Spring orgies again, and one of them will be on Giacinto Scelsi. Schedule here and webcast link here.

Also of interest are the Abdullah Ibrahim, Joe Lovano, five Russian composers (Mily Balakirev, Alexander Borodin, César Cui, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and Modest Mussorgsky) Charlie Parker and Tokyo jazz.

Out of Russians, I'd highly recommend Mussorgsky, partiucualrly "Pictures at the Exhibition" (and this is a great performance they chose to feature).

I have finally heard my first Derek Bailey.

e91039ffm5j.jpg

Derek Bailey & Noel Akchote - Close to the Kitchen (Blue Chopsticks)

I bought a $4 used copy of this and am extremely impressed. Is anyone here familiar with this disc? If so, how representative is it of Bailey's (and Akchote's) work?

After one listen, I highly recommend this disc. Worth buying for the first track alone.

OK, the Chadbourne/Lovens disc I like is called Patrizio (Victo). Haven't had a chance to listen to it today, but form what I rememeber it is freely improvised mostly quiet but busy music, with a lot of intricate interpaly and some creative sound exploration by Chadbourne (on acoustic instruments). Rather careless, but interesting. No vocals. Will give it a listen this week.

chadbourneLovens.jpg

AMG review

Edited by Д.Д.

I was present at the Victoriaville concert (which, perversely enough, is I gather not on Patrizio) & it was actually really good, one of my favourite gigs from that year. The next time I saw Eugene was an excruciating gig in Toronto where he & Han Bennink ganged up on a visibly unhappy Dominic Duval (who eventually just gave up & stopped playing). Didn't help matters that Han for the occasion had an earsplitting fire alarm he could trigger at will, or that Han had a bunch of so-so Toronto musicians sit in (Brodie West & someone else I forget).

Prior to The Hills Have Jazz the only Chadbourne album I'd found worthwhile was There'll Be No More Tears Tonight, an album of country tunes with Tom Cora, John Zorn &c. Great stuff. Other than that, there was a Leo disc with various duets which only had one good track (an early duet with Zorn), a mildly diverting disc with Jimmy Carl Black, & a solo disc on Intakt which was almost worth keeping for the closing tribute to Derek Bailey. All of those have long since passed out of my hands.

Thanks for the information, gentlemen.

I might just continue to steer clear of Mr. Chadbourne for a bit longer.

(Hi David!)

Hey Tony!

Have you listened to the Leandre / Naseef duo on 482 Music? I listend to it yesterday for the first time, and it seemd like a very boring affair to me. Surprisingly weak for Leandre, I thouhgt. Will check it again one of these days.

Guest Chaney

I've only listened to Evident once and that was quite some time ago. Can't really remember what I thought of it.

I'll give it another listen tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had a second listen.

I don't know what to think of this one.

Leandre plays well (can she do otherwise?) but too often she seems to be playing to the much less accomplished level of Nauseef. The music is at its best when she charges ahead and leaves Nauseef to do whateverthehell it is that he does. (I'm not familiar with Nauseef but too often I found myself wondering if maybe I would be just as capable of playing as welll as he does on this particular disk. Which leads me to believe that either he's not very talented [unlikely] or he's cowed by the monster talent of Leandre [likely] or I'm just not [yet?] able to appreciate his contribution [possible].) (Reminds me of what I've said about Funny Rat: Brotzmann being held back by Hano.)

I dislike the beginning (tracks one and two) and end but I like the middle.

And yes, it is at times very dull.

Further listening is required.

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

I'm there, John!

Unfortunately, it runs for 10 hours, ending tomorrow just as I'll be leaving for work.

Basically, I'll have to miss most of it. :(

I'm there, John!

Unfortunately, it runs for 10 hours, ending tomorrow just as I'll be leaving for work. 

Basically, I'll have to miss most of it.  :(

You don't really need to sleep before going in for another day of work, do you? Where are your priorities????????

(this coming from someone who just took a nap before dinner.)

Edited by John B

Just ordered the following from discplus.ch (David, got their mail too? Pretty nice, less than 7 franks for a Hat!):

>1. Position

>System ID: 7962

>Label: HAT OLOGY

>Labelcode: HAT

>Artikelnummer:536

>Titel: Cliches

>Menge: 1

>Preis: sFr 6.61 (- 30%)

>Zeilentotal: sFr 6.61

>

>2. Position

>System ID: 7970

>Label: HAT NOW

>Artikelnummer:118

>Titel: Mobile for Shakespeare, Liaisons, Quartett I-VI, Credentials

>or Think, Think, Lucky

>Preis: sFr 6.62 (- 29%)

>Zeilentotal: sFr 6.62

>

>3. Position

>System ID: 7971

>Artikelnummer:114

>Titel: Concerto a tre, Fuer Kadinsky, Trio Nr1-2

>

>4. Position

>System ID: 8328

>Artikelnummer:102

>Titel: Neither

>

>5. Position

>System ID: 8366

>Artikelnummer:115

>Titel: Soviet Avant-Garde 2 : Lourie, Mossolov, Polovinkin, Roslavets

>

>6. Position

>System ID: 8367

>Artikelnummer:117

>Titel: Kya, Ixor, Rucke di Guck, Tre Pezzi, Yamaon, Maknongan

>

>7. Position

>System ID: 8370

>Artikelnummer:124

>Titel: For John Cage

>

>8. Position

>System ID: 11062

>Artikelnummer:556

>Titel: Morning Joy

>

>9. Position

>System ID: 16218

>Artikelnummer:532

>Titel: Steve Lacy Three

>

>10. Position

>System ID: 16939

>Artikelnummer:551

>Titel: Ramifications

>

>11. Position

>System ID: 16993

>Artikelnummer:116

>Titel: Atlantis, String Quartett & Orchestra, Oboe & Orchestra

>

>12. Position

>System ID: 19384

>Artikelnummer:554

>Titel: An Hour With

>

>13. Position

>System ID: 23545

>Artikelnummer:104

>Titel: Soviet Avant-Garde I : Lourie, Mossolov, Protopopov, Roslavetz

I assume at the current exchange rate that's about 5$ for a disc. Shipping for this order (of roughly 90 CHF) is 9.50 CHF (inside Switzerland, that is).

Maybe some of you want to check it they have fair international shipping prizes? (I assume not as Swiss postal services are pretty espensive, usually...)

Here's the link: Discplus Hat-sale

Go to the bottom of that page and select "alle 170" to get the full list displayed.

Edited by king ubu

Here's the link: Discplus Hat-sale

Go to the bottom of that page and select "alle 170" to get the full list displayed.

Got a note stating they have delivery delays... I got the mail announcing the sale a quarter of an hour before putting in my order, so I hope they will deliver, in the end.

The website mentions a same-day or next-day shipping policy, but my mail said shipping should be in week 19 (I think that's the current week, so...)

I'll keep you posted!

And in case anybody's interested: this year's Taktlos festival moved a bit more towards summer, as the (much more commercially oriented and much larger budgeted) JazzNoJazz festival took place for the first time in spring, about the same time the Taktlos usually took place. To still attract those chosen few of the Zurich crowd interested in jazz, they moved it to June. Here's the programme:

Fr/Sa/So, 3./4./5. Juni,

Zürich, Rote Fabrik, Seestr. 395, Aktionshalle,

TAKTLOS.05

FREITAG, 3. JUNI, 20 h

DAY & TAXI CH

Christoph Gallio, ss/as; Christian Weber, b; Marco Käppeli, dr

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Day & Taxi: «Material», Percaso 21, 2001 / «Private», Percaso 20, 2001 / «About», Percaso 17, 1998.

Infos: Christoph Gallio: www.percaso.ch / Christian Weber:

www.christianweber.ch / Marco Käppeli: www.marcokaeppeli.ch

PHANTOM ORCHARD US/JAP

Zeena Parkins, harp/p/moog; Ikue Mori, electr

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Zeena Parkins, Ikue Mori: «Phantom Orchard», Mego 071, 2004 / Zeena Parkins: «Live At Easthampton Town Hall», JMZ Records 002,

2001 / Ikue Mori: «Labyrinth», Tzadik TZ 7068, 2000.

Infos: Zeena Parkins: www.zeenaparkins.com / Ikue Mori: www.ikuemori.com

KAMMERFLIMMER KOLLEKTIEF D

Thomas Weber, g/electr; Dietrich Foth, sax; Heike Wendelin, viol/viola; Heike Aumüller, harmonium; Johannes Frisch, b; Christopher Brunner, dr/vibr

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Kammerflimmer Kolektief: «Absencen», Staubgold 58,

2004 / «Cicadidae», Staubgold 40, 2003 / «Hysteria», Quecksilber 7, 2000.

Infos: Kammerflimmer Kollektief: www.kammerflimmerkollektief.de

SAMSTAG, 4. JUNI, 20 h

STEN SANDELL TRIO S/N

Sten Sandell, p/voice/electr; Johan Berthling, b; Paal Nilssen-Love, dr

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Sten Sandell Trio: «Flat Iron», Sofa 514, 2003 / Sten Sandell mit Evan Parker u.a.: «Freedom Of The City 2004 - Gubböra», Psi Records 04.10, 2004 / Sten Sandell: «Songs», LJCD, 2004.

Infos: Sten Sandell: www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rep/ps/efi/msandell.html / Paal

Nilssen-Love: www.paalnilssenlove.com

BORAH BERGMAN – SOLO US

Borah Bergman, p

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Borah Bergman: «Meditations For Piano», Tzadik TZ 7180, 2003 / Borah Bergman, Lol Coxhill, Paul Hession: «Acts Of Love», Mutable 17519, 2004 / Borah Bergman, Conrad Bauer, Mat Manieri: «The River Of Sound», Boxholder Records BXH 024, 2000.

THE THING + KEN VANDERMARK S/N/US

Mats Gustafsson, sax; Ken Vandermark, sax; Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, b; Paal Nilssen-Love, dr

THE THING SEXTET S/N/US

Mats Gustafsson, sax; Ken Vandermark, sax; Sten Sandell, p/voice/electr; Johan Berthling, b; Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, b; Paal Nilssen-Love, dr

Ausgewählte Tonträger: The Thing: «Garage», Smalltown Superjazz STS 078,

2004 / The Thing with Joe McPhee: «She Knows», Crazy Wisdom 006, 2001 / Mats

Gustafsson: «Hidros 3 – Sonic Youth With Friends», Smalltown Supersound STS 080, 2000.

Infos: Mats Gustafsson: www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/mgustafs.html / Ken

Vandermark: www.kenvandermark.com / Ingebrigt Håker Flaten:

www.ingebrigtflaten.com / Paal Nilssen-Love: www.paalnilssenlove.com

SONNTAG, 5. JUNI, 20 h

FRED FRITH, CARLA KIHLSTEDT + STEVIE WISHART GB/US/AUS Fred Frith, g/steel string-g; Carla Kihlstedt, viol/nyckelharpa; Stevie Wishart, viol/hurdy-gurdy

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Fred Frith, Carla Kihlstedt + Stevie Wishart: «The Compass, Log And Lead», Intakt CD 103, 2004 / Fred Frith: «Eleventh Hour», Winter & Winter 910 103-2, 2003 / Carla Kihlstedt: «2 Foot Yard», Tzadik TZ 7706, 2002.

Infos: Fred Frith: www.fredfrith.com / Carla Kihlstedt: www.kihlstedt.net / Stevie Wishart: www.harmonies.com/biographies/wishart.htm

JASON KAHN – TIMELINES US/CH

Jason Kahn, analog synth/comp; Norbert Möslang, cracked everyday electr; Tomas Korber, g/electr; Günter Müller, ipod/electr; Steinbrüchel, laptop; Christian Weber, b

Ausgewählte Tonträger: Jason Kahn: «Timelines», Cut 13, 2004 / Jason Kahn und Günter Müller: «Blinks», For 4 Ears CD 1552, 2003 / Norbert Möslang:

«norbert möslang – lat_nc», For 4 Ears CD 1549, 2002

Infos: Jason Kahn: http://jasonkahn.net / Norbert Möslang:

http://homepage.highspeed.ch/bots / Tomas Korber: www.tomaskorber.com / Günter Müller: www.for4ears.com / Steinbrüchel: www.synchron.ch / Christian

Weber: www.christianweber.ch.vu

Eintrittspreise: CHF 40.–/30.– pro Tag (€ 25,-/20,-).

Pass für alle 3 Tage: CHF 100.–/75.– (€ 65,-/50,-).

Das taktlos.05 Zürich wird unterstützt vom Präsidialdepartement der Stadt Zürich; Rote Fabrik (IGRF).

taktlos.05 Zürich ist eine Produktion von Fabrikjazz, Zürich Fabrikjazz Zürich: Michel Baeriswyl, Fredi Bosshard, Patrik Landolt, Stefan Keller, Olivier Marti, Edith Kuster.