Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I am confused... the disc I thought I saw is a piano solo release... maybe I got the title wrong? Also it's a 1CD release... got to go back to that used music store and have a closer look!

If this disc is indeed a selection (and not a piano solo) from that jazz opera, it would make sense... I saw old Hats in that store, too, a few months before they were reissued in the hatOLOGY series.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I remember from the Burrell's STN interview, he said that the opera itself was never performed/recorded entirely. This should be a solo piano music from the opera. I haven't heard it, but I heard (and love) Burrell's duo CD with bassist Tyrone Brown on CIMP called Recital (with hilarious cartoonish version of "Giant Steps") - some warm, lyrical music.

Yeah, I forgot - you can skip the Noah Howard one on Ayler  - it's a bit predictable and repetative. Howard is an excelletn musician heard better on other CDs (the one on Eremite for example, and the one on Boxholder with Kenny Clarke - shit, I can never remember the CD titles).

I just heard this one for the first time tonight and enjoyed it much more than you did. Nothing earth-shattering, but a really solid disc. Perhaps it was just what I was in the mood for to blow away the cobwebs of a long work day.

I would recommend it to fans of Howards.

f64821arnrp.jpg

I also liked it on a first listen. But second and third listen revealed how predictable and unexciting the music is (IMO).

Thanks, Geoff & David! I'll check in at that store again to see if they still have it!

You might want to wait till it gets reissued later this year (as per Tony's post).

Well yes, maybe I better wait (if it is the same disc that Tony's post mentions as being reissued - I'm still a bit confused!)

hey have you guys heard of the Australian Free Jazz band Free Katta?

Don't know Australian Free Jazz at all :( .

It's pretty impressive.

It has never been released on CD, so it's rather obscure.

I was lucky enough to find an original LP, it's one of my most cherished records.

Same here... even without "Free" in there... The Necks, are they Australian? What about Mike Nock? From NZ?

No one else comes to mind...

The Necks are one of my favourite Australian free jazz bands. They are an excellent band to see live, every performance is unique.

Mike Nock is now considered an Australian, even though he grew up in New Zealand.

I've seen him live too, but wasn't so impressed with his performance (he was forced to use an electric piano so I can't blame him). He has however played on a number of good albums, in particular he can be heard in form on Yusef Lateef's Live at Pep's recordings from the mid 60s.

The Pep's albums are what I have with Nock - excellent stuff! (First rate Richard Williams, too!).

The Necks I saw live, back in 2001, at the Taktlos festival. Definitely a great experience! Their way to build and morph and make use of tiny bit and glimpses of music is terrific!

Yes, The Necks really are fantastic. I have to be in the right mood to listen to them but I really enjoy what they do. I've got most of their albums as well as a few live broadcasts and everything I have heard is well worth listening to.

Are any of you familiar with the band Triosk? They are also Australian, and remind me of the Necks, but with electronics added to the mix. I have only heard one of their albums, but it was very good.

It's pretty impressive.

I was lucky enough to find an original LP, it's one of my most cherished records.

Sounds interesting. How would you describe them? Are there any more well known groups you would compare them to?

It's pretty impressive.

Sounds interesting. How would you describe them? Are there any more well known groups you would compare them to?

It's rather difficult to compare them to any particular band. Cecil Taylor meets Peter Brotzmann meets Andrew Cyrille

Yes, The Necks really are fantastic.  I have to be in the right mood to listen to them but I really enjoy what they do.  I've got most of their albums as well as a few live broadcasts and everything I have heard is well worth listening to.

Have any of you ever heard of an Australian group called the Necks?  I've been listening to two of their albums recently, Sex and Aether, and find both of them to be beautiful.  The band is all acoustic, with piano, bass and drums being the only instruments on each album.  The music they make is very repetitive and trancelike, with wach track leaning in towards the hour-long range. Very minimalist and, in the case of Aether, which is a much more recent album, increasibly detached from the jazz idiom.  I highly recommend both of these albums and am really looking forward to hearing more of their work.

f80862jl30e.jpg

c69246ae5r7.jpg

John, are these two albums still the ones you would recommend to start exploring The Necks with?

Edited by Д.Д.

John, are these two albums still the ones you would recommend to start exploring The Necks with?

I don't know that it matters, really. All of their albums operate in a fairly narrow range of expression. If you like one of their albums I suspect you'll like all of them. Sex is their oldest album, and, as I said earlier, retains a greater degree of a jazz piano trio sensibility (althought most posters here at Org. would dispute this) than their more recent work, which is more trancelike and minimalist. Their 4cd live set (Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay & Raab)is also an excellent place to start, if you can track down an inexpensive copy.

Yes, The Necks really are fantastic.  I have to be in the right mood to listen to them but I really enjoy what they do.  I've got most of their albums as well as a few live broadcasts and everything I have heard is well worth listening to.

Have any of you ever heard of an Australian group called the Necks?  I've been listening to two of their albums recently, Sex and Aether, and find both of them to be beautiful.  The band is all acoustic, with piano, bass and drums being the only instruments on each album.  The music they make is very repetitive and trancelike, with wach track leaning in towards the hour-long range. Very minimalist and, in the case of Aether, which is a much more recent album, increasibly detached from the jazz idiom.  I highly recommend both of these albums and am really looking forward to hearing more of their work.

f80862jl30e.jpg

c69246ae5r7.jpg

I'd have to go with completely different albums.

The double CD "Silent Night", the more recent "Drive By" and for something a little more upbeat and reminisent of Miles Davis' In A Silent Way "Hanging Gardens".

I'd have to go with completely different albums.

The double CD "Silent Night", the more recent "Drive By" and for something a little more upbeat and reminisent of Miles Davis' In A Silent Way "Hanging Gardens".

I've never heard Silent Night or Hanging Gardens. I'll add them to "the list" and buy copies the next time I order new music.

FYI, there is a The Necks CD on Russian Long arms label called Photosynthetic: scroll down at http://www.avantart.com/longarms/index.php?id=4

If anybody's interestred, I can try to get it for you (the label is very poorly distributed even in Russia).

I own this one, and it is good. I haven't listened to it in quite a while, so I'm not sure exactly how good I would say it is. I thought I bought a copy through Squidco, but they don't seem to have it now.

It is also available directly from the band for AU$27.28 plus shipping.

Edited by John B

FYI, there is a The Necks CD on Russian Long arms label called Photosynthetic: scroll down at http://www.avantart.com/longarms/index.php?id=4

If anybody's interestred, I can try to get it for you (the label is very poorly distributed even in Russia).

I own this one, and it is good. I haven't listened to it in quite a while, so I'm not sure exactly how good I would say it is. I thought I bought a copy through Squidco, but they don't seem to have it now.

It is also available directly from the band for AU$27.28 plus shipping.

Yes, the Photosynthetic set is great.

By the way I got my copy of Athenaeum, Homebush, Quay & Raa signed by the entire band.

Oh, I also have a personal recording of a concert of theirs I went to.

(perhaps you'd like a copy (hush hush)).