Posted Images

Guest Chaney

ELLERY ESKELIN

w/ Andrea Parkins

& Jim Black

plus special guest:

Jessica Constable - voice

On the road with

ELLERY ESKELIN w/ Andrea Parkins & Jim Black...the film!

On a last minute whim while packing to go on the road, Ellery Eskelin decided to bring along his Sony digital video camera and a bagful of blank tapes. After three weeks on tour he came back with 25 hours of video from all across the European continent consisting of live performances, interviews, local color and a generous helping of road schtick. Most of the footage is filmed by Eskelin, Parkins & Black although various friends and strangers generously offered to add their creative input into capturing the band at various clubs and festivals throughout the land. Upon returning home Ellery spent countless late nights editing this bounty down to a one hour program on his home computer (using Final Cut video editing software).

Now you can join Ellery Eskelin, Andrea Parkins & Jim Black on their 2003 European tour with the DVD release of this homespun and engaging video tour diary. Travel with the band in taxis, trains and vans and sit on stage with the group as they perform for audiences from Paris to Katowice while getting an insiders view of life on the road complete with flashes of brilliance, boredom, silliness and a general lack of sleep.

The backbone of the program is a series of solo concerts done by Eskelin, Parkins & Black at the Festival "les 100 ciels" in Nancy, France, captured with artful camera work and excellent sound, which are interspersed throughout the hour long program. Also included are band performances with special guest vocalist Jessica Constable in Paris as well as band clips from Germany, Poland and the UK. Don't miss this look behind the scenes of one of today's most celebrated jazz/improv ensembles.

release date April 2004 - more info to come...

I've just been listening to

e604850kp8h.jpg

for the first time, and it didn't sound bad. Have to play it again though.

I'm now playing

e60975n4u5z.jpg

and I'm not sure I like the guitar... (here we - or rather, I - go again...)

Edit: the Blake is great.

Edited by J.A.W.

Guest Chaney

Got some Russian improv CDs for you guys. Let me know if you want to receive them.

Have you ever known us to say "no"?

:)

:party:

Edited by Chaney

new music to check out? just what the doctor ordered. I'll send you a PM with my info.

I finally had a chance to listen to Exploding Customer - Live at Glen Miller Cafe on Ayler today. It is a fantastic disc, very highly recommended. I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to see the name and pass them by, which would be a mistake. A lot less "out" than I had expected. Some nice tunes and playing by four musicians I still know next to nothing about.

I finally had a chance to listen to Exploding Customer - Live at Glen Miller Cafe on Ayler today. It is a fantastic disc, very highly recommended. I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to see the name and pass them by, which would be a mistake. A lot less "out" than I had expected. Some nice tunes and playing by four musicians I still know next to nothing about.

Well, drummer Paal Nielsen-Love is very prominent in Chicago improv circle (and he is a new Broetzmann's Tentet drummer - big shoes to fill after Hamid Drake), and deservedly so. His playing on Frode Gjerstad / Peter Broetzmann's "Sharp Knives Cut Deeper" (Splasc(H), 2003) absolutely blew me away. And yes, this is the third time I am plugging this disc in here, and I will continue until you all get it.

I finally had a chance to listen to Exploding Customer - Live at Glen Miller Cafe on Ayler today.  It is a fantastic disc, very highly recommended.  I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to see the name and pass them by, which would be a mistake.  A lot less "out" than I had expected.  Some nice tunes and playing by four musicians I still know next to nothing about.

Well, drummer Paal Nielsen-Love is very prominent in Chicago improv circle (and he is a new Broetzmann's Tentet drummer - big shoes to fill after Hamid Drake), and deservedly so. His playing on Frode Gjerstad / Peter Broetzmann's "Sharp Knives Cut Deeper" (Splasc(H), 2003) absolutely blew me away. And yes, this is the third time I am plugging this disc in here, and I will continue until you all get it.

I picked up Ultima and Remember to Forget because of Drake and Parker and that is where I left off with Frode. I'll add Sharp Knives to my list.

(...) Frode Gjerstad / Peter Broetzmann's "Sharp Knives Cut Deeper" (Splasc(H), 2003) (...) And yes, this is the third time I am plugging this disc in here, and I will continue until you all get it.

Easy, easy, it's on "the list", along with a few (ha ha ha :wacko:) others...

Guest Chaney

I picked up Ultima and Remember to Forget because of Drake and Parker and that is where I left off with Frode.  I'll add Sharp Knives to my list.

Saw this duo last night supporting Brotzmann. VERY impressive -- especially Drake. I just sat there and very happily drowned in his sound.

Another disc a lot of people don't seem to like - I love it :tup

B00004WMY0.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I like this one a great deal as well.

In the first track, about 4-5 minutes in, Bley plays a bit that feels like the eye of a hurricane--there was some agitated before, and it feels as if the group has come to a plateau. It is quite tonal, and their improvisations are worthy compositions in themselves. After another 4-5 minutes, it is back into the twisting dialogues.

It is those few minutes in the clearing that make this disc a keeper for me.

For Europeans interested in the music of Alan Silva, the FNAC Montparnasse store in Paris is selling several sets of his Treasure Box that was released on Eremite.

This box:

http://www.eremite.com/index2.html

Not sure (don't think so as a matter of fact) that the sets are available at other FNAC stores. The jazz section at the FNAC Montparnasse is the best for the chain stores.

FNAC Montparnasse sells the boxes for €113,42 and they currently have a new release discount at €94,21.

The Silva box is not listed at the www.fnac.com website. I know that FNAC Montparnasse is pretty good at shipping items directly. The adress is 136 rue de Rennes, 75005 Paris (France). Phone (33)149543000 and ask for the jazz dept.

Being a Parisian, I could select the box design I liked best since all the boxes are individually handpainted.

brownie, thanks! But I think this would kill my poor-students-bank-account...

And I also just bought some discs yesterday, all half prize, in some store cleaning out a bit:

- Joe McPhee, Trinity (Atavistic Unheard)

- Dewey Redman, Living on the Edge (Black Saint)

- The Ganelin Trio, Strictly for our Friends (Leo Golden Years)

- Westbrook-Rossini (Impetus)

- Witches & Devils, At The Empty Bottle (Knitting Factory)

- Gustafsson/Flaten/Nilssen-Love, The Thing (Crazy Wisdom)

- The Thing & Joe McPhee, She Knows (Crazy Wisdom)

- Kühn/Humair/Jenny-Clark, Triple Entente (Polygram France)

Having only recently gotten acquainted with McPhee (his solo hatOLOGY, Tenor & Fallen Angels), I'm pretty excited about the new discs!

Also, this is my very first Ganelin disc.

As far as The Thing (Gustafsson/Flaten/Nilssen-Love) are concerned, I heard a broadcast (Berlin 2002, I think) of theirs with McPhee guesting - one of the most beautiful Albert Ayler tributes I heard!

Anyone cares to comment about any of these albums? I guess I won't make it through all of them until earliest next week...

ubu

Listening to the Redman right now. It's good. Geri Allen at the piano, Cameron Brown on bass and Eddie Moore on drums.

All in all it's quite mainstream-ish, solid, not too adventurous. I've got much the same impression of Redman as when I saw him live two years ago (and this disc is from 1989): he does not really seems to have his thing together. I sometimes loose interest in his solos rather quickly, while there are moments where he is spell-binding (at that concert I saw he played "Second Balcony Jump" and it started out GREAT, really swinging, and his solo was really good until half way, and then he somehow lost it, and I was just waiting for him to turn it over to Ms. Marcotulli at the piano - who was excellent all through the two sets).

I don't want to be too hard on Redman - I do like him. I love his Impulse album (Ear of the Behearer - reissued on CD in the late nineties), and I love his work on "Playing" with Old & New Dreams, as well as a few other dates I have with him as sideman.

Do others here have the same impression of Redman? Or similar opinions?

That Crazy Wisdom label could well be Gustafsson's. It's distributed by Verve/Universal, and listed in their catalogue, too. The trio album is CW001, the one with McPhee added is 006. Both dated 2001.

ubu

Here's what I found on Crazy Wisdom:

Crazy Wisdom

Crazy Wisdom, c/o Universal Music AB, Banérgatan 16 P.O. Box 55777, SE-114 83 Stockholm, Sweden.

Formed in 2000 by Mats Gustafsson, producer and musician Christian Falk and music journalist Conny Charles Lindström to introduce music seldom played on radio or in clubs, the label appears ready to cover 'everything from free jazz to experimental house, from hardcore to hiphop'. The label began in July 2000 and by early 2001 the catalogue consisted of four releases; a singles offshoot, CW Funk 45, is planned.

(http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/)

ubu

Edited by king ubu

e907033y174.jpg

Out of print, but also very highly recommended.

OK, I spent half an hour searching for this one on line, cursing everybody including (but not limited to) little labels that can't preserve anything in print, anonimous fans who grabbed all available copies (even from the most obscure on-line sotres), Gregg Bendian himself for recording good records as early as in 1997, etc, etc... just to find out that it will be reissued in less than a month on Atavistic with two added live bonus tracks.

Yes!

Hers is the new cover:

B0001LYF9A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ubu, regarding Dewey Redman - he is one of my favorite tenor players. I actualy find his solos fascinating to listen - not only because of his sound, but also because of the melodic development - a great musical thinker. Even though he's mellowed down recently, he still can play some fantastic stuff - like on Momentum Space (with Cecil and Elvin, from late '90s). He is also excellent on Ed Schuller's "Mu-Point" (Tutu) and on Ethan Iverson's "School Days". Fro older Redman's CDs, get his duo with Edward Blackwell "In Willisau" (?) (on Black Saint or Soul Note) and his angry Tarik on BYG.

Great man.

Edited by Д.Д.

Trinity is a great disc.  All of the Joe McPhee albums in the UMS are worth picking up.

John, do you have "Trinity" on CD? I'm asking because the new notes say that the tunes were edited to fit onto the LP.

ubu

no, I have it on a download from emusic. I haven't played it in a while. This is as good a reason as any to grab all of these and give them a spin.

Good news on Interzone being reissued. Interesting that Atavistic is exploring a relatively recent release for a change. I wonder if any other OOP Eremites are in the works? (I just saw that it will also contain 12 bonus minutes of music not found on the Eremite release.)

Edited by John B