Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Just got this OOP hat and enjoyed it very much:

Tony Coe - Nutty - hatART

e21818pwzqs.jpg

Nice cover art.

I haven't bought any of the hatART CDs hoping that sooner or later most of them will be reissued in hatOLOGY /hat[now]ART series. Probably I should get at least some...

Monoceros is no longer available through Forced Exposure.

Hans, I also have problems with Koglmann's ouevre - everything I've heard sounds too dry and a bit pretentious.

Our friend ubu's Joe McPhee purchases prompted me to listen to some McPhee from my collection, so I dug up Grand Marquis (Boxholder, 2000) - McPhee's duo with drummer Johnny McLellan, and it's an absolute masterpiece. AMG review.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phenomenal clariner (ands sometimes alto saxophone) / drums duo:

Mauro Negri / Zlatko Kaucic "Scuarci" (Splasc(H), 2000)

B0000589QN.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I responsibly proclaim that Mauro Negri is the most impressive clarinetist ever.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

MAURO NEGRI - ZLATKO KAUCIC

Squarci

Splasc(H) Records

Perhaps because of the accidents of geography, European percussionists seem to have internalized a completely difference mind set than North American drummers. Without straying into another generalization, the most accomplished of them appear of have both a fondness for free settings and a sense of goofy fun in their playing. At least that's what would pull together work by Germany's Günter "Baby" Sommer, The Netherlands's Han Bennink and Italy's Tiziano Tononi.

Slovenian Zlatko Kaucic is another exemplar, as this duo session, recorded in Gorizia, Italy proves. Active since the 1970s, he's been associated with a broad spectrum of Euro improvisers and styles including those of Irene Schweitzer, Gianluigi Trovesi and Tete Montoliu. Significantly, as well, his partner here was only born in 1966, but has already established a Continental reputation through his membership in French drummer Aldo Romano's quartet

Definitely on the abstract side of the equation, most of the CD is made up of "Squarci," which is actually one long improvisation. Described as divided into seven tracks in the CD booklet, each section actually flows into the next when listening. With a suprisingly light touch, Kaucic is almost inaudible at times, using only the barest hints of rhythm to give the tunes certain shapes. The antithesis of the showy, bomb-dropping Swing egotist, his fundamental concern seems to be the diversity of tones. Not that he ignores the fundamentals, though. There's a whole straight-ahead section on track four, which could even impress a Marsalis follower, if those musicians would be pleased by anything other than themselves.

More than his hands and wrists come into his conception as well, since Kaucic isn't shy about employing a slide whistle to goose along the proceedings. Strangely enough, the noisemaker even makes a muted appearance in the ballad section on track six.

Effectively tart and swift on his extended alto sax forays, Negri also effectively utilizes the clarinet in a manner far removed from its traditional settings. Sweeping legato passages serve to solder disparate sounds and themes together, helped at times by metallic cymbal scratches from Kaucic.

If there's a drawback to this nearly 60 minute recital, it's the few times when the partners ignore the advice that goes into making a duo -- or a marriage -- work, and stop speaking to one another through their instruments. At that time the performance begins to resemble a recording of two soloists. Luckily, though, musical marriage counseling soon gets them together again.

Whether this was a first encounter or a consistent coupling isn't made clear. It's likely the former, since on this CD the two never make it into the top rank of such experienced saxophone-percussion dyads as Evan Parker and Paul Lytton or Dewey Redman and Ed Blackwell. Still for anyone intrigued by both or either instrument and the art of collaboration, there's much to like on Squarci.

Ken Waxman

Track Listing: 1. Sqaurci; 2. Sqaurci; 3. Sqaurci; 4. Sqaurci; 5. Sqaurci; 6. Sqaurci; 7. Sqaurci; 8. Sbronzo sulla via Carducci

Personnel: Mauro Negri, alto saxophone, clarinet; Zlatko Kaucic, drums, percussion

Pretty poor review, IMO.

Upcoming release on Tzadik (late March):

Milford Graves/John Zorn: 50th Birthday Celebration Volume Two

Another one of the most talked about sets of the month was this historic meeting between two of music's most powerful and controversial iconoclasts. Playing together yearly since 1999 for very special occasions, their musical connection and spiritual bond has gotten stronger and stronger. This set, played before a packed house of screaming enthusiasts, was without doubt their best and most outrageous performance to date. Intensity, fireworks and incredible mutual respect made this one of the highlights of the month.

Looking forward. Milford Graves is one of my favorite percussionists and live he is unbelievable (I saw him 4 years ago with New York Art Quartet).

And these are all good, John? I find the JMT output rather crappy, I have to admit (although I only know few of their releases, and read about many only)

ubu

Yes, I think they are all great. Well worth the price of the box.

Thanks. Maybe I'll order the two boxes next month!

ubu

Pretty poor review, IMO.

Another one of the most talked about sets of the month was this historic meeting between two of music's most powerful and controversial iconoclasts. Playing together yearly since 1999 for very special occasions, their musical connection and spiritual bond has gotten stronger and stronger. This set, played before a packed house of screaming enthusiasts, was without doubt their best and most outrageous performance to date. Intensity, fireworks and incredible mutual respect made this one of the highlights of the month.

Looking forward. Milford Graves is one of my favorite percussionists and live he is unbelievable (I saw him 4 years ago with New York Art Quartet).

With the NYAQ or with the New New York Art Quartet (as the version with Zorn is called)?

They were at Willisau last year or the year before. I only heard some 40 minutes over the radio, and it was pretty poor. Old-fashioned chaotic energy free jazz... (the statement I made a couple of pages earlier in this thread applies...)

ubu

Pretty poor review, IMO.

With the NYAQ or with the New New York Art Quartet (as the version with Zorn is called)?

They were at Willisau last year or the year before. I only heard some 40 minutes over the radio, and it was pretty poor. Old-fashioned chaotic energy free jazz... (the statement I made a couple of pages earlier in this thread applies...)

ubu

It was NYAQ. "Old" one: Tchicai, Rudd, Reggie Workman, Milford Graves, Amiri Baraka. Spring of 2000 in Paris. Fantastic. Milford Graves started with a super energetic polyrythmic drum solo and continued playing like this all through the set - amazing stamina. The guy seemed to be very inspired (and they received a very warm reception), and very pleased with themselves and each other: Reggie Workman was laughing all concert, Rudd was dancing, Baraka was very artistic... After they finished playing, Graves ran to the mike and said something along the lines: "we are really, really old guys, but we can kick anybody's ass when we play". And that was true.

I didn't know Zorn joined NYAQ. Would be curious to hear them.

Next day there was solo Graves ..hmm...performance. Graves spent most of the time dancing (quite well) and "singing" (quite expressively). Then he ran to the audience and lifted a guy from the seat and carried him on his shoulder around the audience for a couple of minutes. In the end he sat behind the drum set and did an absolutely stunnig thing: he played some (pretty elaborate) rythm with just right hand, then he played another rythm with only his left hand, then with his right leg and with his left leg - and then he played all four rythms AT THE SAME TIME for a couple of minutes, and then started improvising occasionally returning to this mind-boggling 4-rythm structure - and it all looked so natural and easy. The man has comepletely become music, really. TOday I listened to Graves' solo "Stories" on Tzadik and it has a lot of this amazing total musicality. But be warned - Graves is "singing" nearly all of the time whilèe he is playing, and for sensitive Dutchmen among us it can prove more than they can bare.

And getting back to our hero. New release on Danish Ninth World records:

thewildmansband.jpg

Interesting...do you know if this a new release? It is always good to hear Brotz with some different players. I know nothing about anyone else on this album. Are you familiar with their work at all?

Peter Friis Nielsen is the (excellent, IMO) bass guitar player from Brötzmann's "Live in Nefertiti" (on Ayler), Pierre Dorge is a great versatile guitarist - I heard him on several SteepleChase dates (there is a beautiful, beautiful trio Dorge-Khan Jamal-Johnny Dyani).

This seems to be a new release. As far a I understand, The Wild Mans Band is a working group:

nwm013.jpgnwm020.jpg

I haven't heard any of those.

Peter Friis Nielsen is the (excellent, IMO) bass guitar player from Brötzmann's "Live in Nefertiti" (on Ayler),

This seems to be a new release. As far a I understand, The Wild Mans Band is a working group:

Ah, yes...he plays electric bass, correct? Live at Nefertiti is a fantastic disc. I'd be interested to hear all of these.

Guest Chaney

check out Brotz' Chicago Tentet.  Mats is on all of those discs, as far as I recall.

OH! Forgot about that.

Still would be interesting to hear Brotz and Mats without both being buried in a large band.

His album Mouth Eating Trees and Related Activities put me off Gustafsson for the rest of the century.

Hans, you have to check They Were Gentle and Pretty Pigs (or were they Pretty and Gentle?). You have to.

THAT century is over anyway.

Edited by Д.Д.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that... I recall somebody telling me there's quite a lot of vocalizing on Pigs, so there's your answer.

No vocalising, no bowed bass - only pigs.

Well, probaly a bit of bowed bass.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

His album Mouth Eating Trees and Related Activities put me off Gustafsson for the rest of the century.

I know the feeling: I'm still attempting to make it all the way through Sticky Tongues And Kitchen Knives and The Education of Lars Jerry.

I believe I'll try Sticky Tongues now.

Wish me luck. :ph34r:

On Pigs, I believe I'm somewhat familiar with Hans and his musical tastes and I'd guess that he'd not like Pigs. As a matter of fact, months back I gently warned Hans away from Pigs.

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that... I recall somebody telling me there's quite a lot of vocalizing on Pigs, so there's your answer.

No vocalising, no bowed bass - only pigs.

OK, maybe no vocalizing, but pigs tend to scream a lot.

Boy, you're not kidding. LOTS of porcine squeals on Pigs.

Brotzmann with Gustafsson? Has that ever happened before?

Seems like a very odd pairing.

THAT I'd be VERY interested in hearing.

I'de be even more interested to hear Brötzmann with Bauer - Bauer is a monster on trombone, and among trombomists he is probably one of very few who can reach Brötzmann's intensity (if needed).

On Pigs, I believe I'm somewhat familiar with Hans and his musical tastes and I'd guess that he'd not like Pigs.  As a matter of fact, months back I gently warned Hans away from Pigs.

And I'm still grateful for that. I've purchased far too many CDs lately that turned out to be stock for my "get rid of"-pile.

Edited by J.A.W.