Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Patterns" is not my favorite Noah Howard record. It's good, but the stuff that highlights his compositions -- say, "The Black Ark" on Polydor or "Live at the Village Vanguard" on Intercord -- is the stuff to get. "Judson Hall" (ESP) is also really good. He was a regular foil for Frank Wright and the quartet (with Bobby Few and Muhammad Ali) cut a number of records in France during 1969-71 before Howard split to form his own quartet, usually with Takashi Kako on piano and Oliver Johnson on drums. His compositional style is earthy and bluesy; the uptempo tunes usually have somewhat repetitious but often memorable heads, while the ballads have a late-Coltrane vibe to them, and are usually quite blissed-out. I saw him a few years ago. His chops are good and he still looks like a kid.

Hi, I just join the board to participate as much as I can to this thread.

I will start by agreeing with KING UBU: "Smoke" is a great album.

Sunny Murray is certainly the most underrate of the great musicians (not drummer: musician) from the generation from the free jazz era.

His praise has never been sing as much as he merits (after all, he was the major innovator in drums history since Kenny Clarke & Max Roach.)

This album is a rare one to do justice to his talent as a composer to.

And Alex Von Schlippenbach is such a tremendous pianist!!

Well, as everybody knows about my buying stop... I might as well confess my first "sin"...

I picked up yesterday used and for a very cheap prize Glenn Spearman's "Smoke House", Dennis Gonzalez' "Stefan" and Keith Tippett's "Mujician I/II".

No time to listen to anything yet but the one track on the Gonzalez with Malachi Favors (a bonus to the CD).

Anyone knows/has or loves/hates these? Comments?

ubu

that "not buying thing" is going pretty well, perhaps I should try it too :P

I've been doing that for years, and very successfully too, I might add... My collection has grown beyond my wildest dreams :g

:g

I am really trying! But seing these discs all for something like 15$ (which is about the cheapest you see any new disc in a store here), and knowing that the Spearman might be OOP, and then I never ever saw any Silkheart release over here... I had to go for it!

ubu

Friends, I am in Berlin now, and I saw a very much OOP Paul Dunmall's "Ghostly Thoughts" (hatOLOGY) here in a store (€20). Anybody interested (Hans, probably?). I quite like this disc.

Nailed is terrific, and is probably my favorite Evan Parker on record. I listened to Monoceros, btw, and I have somewhat mixed feelings about it - Parker's technique is nothing short of stunning here, and he is much more diverse than he is now in his soprano playing. But still, it is pretty monotonous, however you look at it.

ubu, Von Schlippenbach is the man - I immensely enjoyed his duo record with Tony Oxley (my favorite drummer) - it is also on FMP, but I forgot what it's called. I am looking forward to his 3-CD Monk set on Intakt.

ubu, these are nice choices (although I haven't heard any of them, he-he). Dennis Gonzalez is an excellent trumpeter and a very distinct conposer. And he's been quite active recently (after a decade-long hiatus) - check his website at www.dennisgonzalez.com My favorite disc of his is Catechesis (on Music & Arts) - it's with a British band - Elton Dean, Keith Tippett (oh yes), Louis Moholo and others. Beatiful free-bop compositions and excellent playing from everybody. His last CD on Entropy Stereo (forgot the title) is also very very good (it's with Malachi Favors, btw), if slightly more "conventional". Is Stefan the one with Charles Brakeen on alto? If yes, you are in for a real treat - Brakeen was a wonderful musician with sound and style completely of his own...

Edited by Д.Д.

STEFAN [silkheart 101 LP/CD]

Dennis González New Dallas Quartet

DG (tp, flgh, berimbau) / John Purcell (as, fl, b cl) / Henry Franklin (B) / W. A. Richardson (d)

· Enrico

· Fortuity {Roger Boykin, W.A. Richardson}

· Stefan

· Hymn for Don Cherry

· Boi Fuba {traditional, arr. DG}

· Deacon John Ray {Purcell}

· Doxology

Dallas, TX: 1986 April 4, 5 and 1987 February 13

(from www.dennisgonzalez.com)

"Doxology" features DG, Malachi & Richardson.

Thanks for your comments! Looking forward to hearing the Spearman, hopefully tonight! Also the Tippett - some of my brain's still there, I'm afraid ;)

The one cut with Favors was from another date, I don't know if earlier or later, I don't have the disc with me. I can tell you later.

ubu

Cecil's Incarnation is nothing special, IMO.

alejo, you made a dangerous move entering the Funny Rat thread. REad all the thread attentively, and think again.

BTW, you are the next one after ubu to buy Funny Rat CD.

I am enjoying it, but it is suffering in comaprison with Nailed and Brewing Luminous.

O-ho-ho, I recognize this writing style!!!

Great to see you here!

Oh-ho-ho indeed! Stick around!

ubu

You are both a pain in the ass, you know that?

I wanted to remain in the shadow a little longer.

Just the time to trash Gebbia a bit, in the name and defense of Anthony Braxton and Evan Parker, of course...

By the way, David when you come back from Moscow (but there's a little hope than they keep you there an inderterminate time for your punition, maybe?) , I will send you an e-mail about what you know.

Edited by P.L.M

Listening to the Art Ensemble (Bowie, Mitchell, Favors & Moye) in Francia, June 4, 1997 - released with the italian magazine "Musica Jazz", under the title of "Urban Magic".

I quite like it. It 's not all that adventurous, but it's pretty playful. Bowie quoting "Moanin'" on his solo on the great Favors tune "Mama Wants You", for instance.

What a pity Jarman did not rejoin in time!

ubu

O-ho-ho, I recognize this writing style!!!

Great to see you here!

Oh-ho-ho indeed! Stick around!

ubu

You are both a pain in the ass, you know that?

I wanted to remain in the shadow a little longer.

Just the time to trash Gebbia a bit, in the name and defense of Anthony Braxton and Evan Parker, of course...

Uh, I just wanted to add that you may remain wherever you want, as long as you don't dare to fuck with us about Gebbia :g

ubu