Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

couw likes it too, although he is not much of a fan of strings of short bursting sounds as solos. In spite of there being quite a lot of this beaded playing here, there are some nice developments on the higher level that I like. and indeed some nice introspective, and much more melodic playing, as well of course.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

couw likes it too, although he is not much of a fan of strings of short bursting sounds as solos. In spite of there being quite a lot of this beaded playing here, there are some nice developments on the higher level that I like. and indeed some nice introspective, and much more melodic playing, as well of course.

Yup, and that's all quite a surprise, but again a sign that Brötzmann has really developped!

ubu

Yup, and that's all quite a surprise, but again a sign that Brötzmann has really developped!

ubu

I'm still waiting for the Brotzmann - For Lovers compilation to come out. SOmeone who hadn't listened to Brotzmann in a few years would be very surprised by how lyrical and melodic (relatively speaking) he can be these days.

Is Brotzmann 'Balls' one to get? Have a copy on hold and wondering if I should add it to the CD pile that is growing in my listening room. I heard conflicting views on it.

It isn't one that I return to all that often, and it wouldn't be at the top of my list of essential Brotzmann's but it is a solid set.

brownie, do you have any Brötzmann, and if yes, how do you like what you have?

With this information it would be easier to recommend you something...

I have several including 'For Adolphe Sax', 'Nipples' and 'Live At Nefertiti'. The Nefertiti is the one I like best.

brownie, do you have any Brötzmann, and if yes, how do you like what you have?

With this information it would be easier to recommend you something...

I have several including 'For Adolphe Sax', 'Nipples' and 'Live At Nefertiti'. The Nefertiti is the one I like best.

In that case I would recommend holding off on Balls and getting some more recent Brotzmann instead. Never Too Late But Always Too Early on Eremite or any of the Die Like a Dog discs on FMP would be my suggested starting point. I'm also a fan of the WELS Concert on Okkadisk.

rune grammofon has announced that an upcoming Supersilent show in Oslo will be recorded and released as a dvd in 2005. I will definitely be looking forward to that. It would be interesting to see them live. Their first North American show will be happening in San Francisco later on this year. Hopefully a U.S. tour would not be out of the question.

Just started listening to Brötzmann-Uuskula-Friis Nielsen (the "Nefertiti" band) opus "Noise of Wings" (Slask, 1999), and... well guess.

slacd019.jpg

I'm hoping, for the sake of my wallet, that it is the worst album you have heard in a loooooooong time. Otherwise, I will have to purchase it and I am already adding far too many discs to my next mental order.

Just started listening to Brötzmann-Uuskula-Friis Nielsen (the "Nefertiti" band) opus "Noise of Wings" (Slask, 1999), and... well guess.

I'm hoping, for the sake of my wallet, that it is the worst album you have heard in a loooooooong time. Otherwise, I will have to purchase it and I am already adding far too many discs to my next mental order.

That's exactly what it is.

This is one of the most appalling CDs I've heard in many years. Even calling it music is being too generous, and just goes to show what an open-minded listener I am.

With an indescribable disgust I will write a couple of words regarding this release.

The disc consists of 67 minutes of pure (well, pure is not the word to be used describing what you hear on this CD – filthy would be the right one) noise. The leader of the band (shall I use the word “gang” instead) is Peter Bursman who pretends to play saxophone, Benny Goodman’s favorite instrument – taragoto, and clarinet. Again, “playing” is a dramatic exaggeration. In his hands these instruments sound the same – like a mad elephant snarling into a water hose. There is no way a decent person can physically create this typhoon of terrifying noise so it is obvious that Mr. Bormann is stimulated by alcohol, drugs and no doubt is possessed by dark forces (the latter is implied in titles like “Not a Soul” – not a human soul, I got you right Mr. Brosman?). Mr. Brotzmen’s partners in this orgy of filth are two “musicians” (drummer and electric bass player… electric bass – do I need to write any further?) whose unpronounceable names (borrowed from Satanist texts, no doubt) I won’t even mention. Imagine ten dyslexic kids banging the same drum with one stick, fighting at the same time for possession of this very stick – and you imagine the drumming. Imagine the roar of a tank stuck in the mud – and you imagine the bass (electric). There is not even a slightest hint on melody (it is possible that "musicians" are trying to play some, but being evidently totally incapable of playing their music instruments, you cannot really say with certainty) or swing. Pristine studio sound quality only emphasizes the terrifying brutality of the soulless force.

Listening to this CD (for the second time now, while I am writing this notes – and I am afraid I will listen to it third time right after that - just to appreciate fully the level of moral bankruptcy of the whole concept of this “music”) you can’t but ask yourself: what are the intentions or musical goals of the men who created this “music”? And looking at the pictures from the recording session, which adorn the CD booklet, I easily found the purpose. Looking at the photos of these highly unattractive wild men, faces distorted by grimaces of fanatic anger, squeezing their horns and banging their drums, – I realized I know them. I see them on street corners – uncombed hair…beard… dirty clothes… bottle of vodka in a pocket – whose only objective in life is to shout obscenities to passersby. Mr. Bumsan & Co. seem to be interested doing just the same. The only purpose of this “music” is to bring up the most violent and brutal features of the human nature, and destroy, destroy and destroy. And destroy.

It is utterly unfair that Mr. Birzuman’s “music” is spit out of every teenager’s boom box all over the world, while real musicians are struggling to attain even minimal level of visibility.

I implore you to ignore this CD (which is not too easy since it is heavily advertised by all brick-and-mortar and on-line CD stores… you can’t turn watch a TV for five mnutes without seeing evil face of Mr. Berzuman), or better destroy all the copies you can get your hands on. The few sane music lovers will say thank you.

See, your review made me want to hear this album even more! I need help.

Does Mr. Bortswan sound anything like that nice Kenny G fellow? Sometimes, when the misses and I have company over, and we want to liven things up a bit, we'll throw on some of that there "oven gard" jazz, like Kenny G or John Tesh (Sax on the Beach is a rip-roaring good time!) and just cut loose.

See, your review made me want to hear this album even more!

I am sad to hear that my review had such an effect. That was definitely not its intent.

It's OK - it looks like the label (Slask) is defunkt now (the owners obvously earned millions on Birmann's record and cashed out), so this CD won't be around for too long.

I am sad to hear that my review had such an effect. That was definitely not its intent.

It's OK - it looks like the label (Slask) is defunkt now (the owners obvously earned millions on Birmann's record and cashed out), so this CD won't be around for too long.

seriously, though...how would you compare it to the Nefertiti disc on Ayler?

seriously, though...how would you compare it to the Nefertiti disc on Ayler?

Equally good, but Noise is somewhat less in-your-face.

Form some of my recent CD Baby purchases:

Two very nice muscular free-bop saxophone-bass-drums trios (click on sound samples).

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/burdon

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dagradi

Edit: emm... actually the second one is not THAT good... the first track is strong, but then it goes donhill somewhat.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

HOORAY!

My dear David Dwksuebfndye, you have done the world as a whole and the world of jazz in particular a great service in your warnings of the evils that lurk in the musical atrocities perpertrated by Hair Borwitz! My soul feels cleansed!

Gotta agree with John: NOTHING provide a more rollicking good evening as a nicely chilled non-alcoholic beer-ski, talk of good jazz music and the stimulating but challenging moods provided by Mr. Tesh -- he of magnificent talents and high forehead. Can't beat the oven gard.

BUT, like that would-be miscreant John, I too feel that I must learn more of that there vile Bootzman release - if only to become better versed in its vulgarity so as to FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT and WARN others of the EVIL NOISE... which doesn't swing - no way, no how -- contained therein!

I mentioned a while back that Dennis Gonzalez has a new disc coming out this month called Nile River Suite, with Henry Grimes - bass, Sabir Mateen - reeds, Roy Campbell, Jr. - trumpet andMichael "T.A." Thompson - drums. Dennis has now updated his website to explain that this will be "an extremely limited edition," so, if you are interested in hearing this, I would recommend ordering a copy asap. I will be pre-ordering tonight and will post my thoughts as soon as the discs arrive. $12 direct from Dennis.